• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener asked me today if I thought more people would be out deer hunting because of high food prices, and I said probably not. When you add it all up, deer meat is pretty expensive until you get the initial investment paid down.

That said it's good to have the skill set and ability to eat wild game if that's all you can get.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It ain’t over, this stuff takes time to filter through the economy, longer than I expected but it still appears to be coming. Rates are up, foreclosures are rising, layoffs are beginning. Lots of people have not yet felt the changes in the economy. The cash the fed printed is still in the system

Reminds me of the joke about difference between a recession and depression, recession is when your neighbor loses their job, depression is when you lose your job…

If you predict a recession long enough, you'll be right. If you predict a recovery long enough, you'll be right. I'm glad I bought when I did and didn't buy into the 'it'll be cheaper in a year' idea, though. The cash in the system isn't leaving. The only thing that's going to cool inflation is an increase in supply of things to buy with that money. In short, you can raise supply of money if supply of things people want to buy with that money keeps pace. But it hasn't. So inflation has kept on keeping on. More money keeps finding it's way to the top 20%-ish of the population, who can still afford to buy the sort of vehicles under discussion.

I happened to see a rebate offer from Mark Dodge and remember this thread. Turned out it was right at a year, so I figured I'd take you upon the revisit in a year and see.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The gardener asked me today if I thought more people would be out deer hunting because of high food prices, and I said probably not. When you add it all up, deer meat is pretty expensive until you get the initial investment paid down.

That said it's good to have the skill set and ability to eat wild game if that's all you can get.
    Do you mean the cost of a firearm To hunt with?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

We went in with some friends on a 1/2 cow from my buddy's farm (or, more correctly, multiple cows with all of us taking 1/2). Cow hunting isn't much of a sport, mind you, but a pretty high success rate is possible with a very limited skill set.

None of us are professional butchers...it did kind of show. :D

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I really can't afford any new vehicles these days. And clean, low mileage used are within a couple thou of a new one.

I'm looking at dropping $45K on a vehicle and it pains me to no end. I'm have been cutting grass and recently started doing some home repairs.

I want as big a down payment as I can possibly put together and the shortest length loan that I can afford.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Since they no longer make full sized sedans, I really have trouble getting excited about spending 40K on a car that I do not really want.

I keep hearing about the amount of auto loans in default coming close to doubling, but the finance companies must be working with the borrowers, I sure do not see lots full of one and two year old repo 'ed cars.
    I there a Mannheim in your area?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We went in with some friends on a 1/2 cow from my buddy's farm (or, more correctly, multiple cows with all of us taking 1/2). Cow hunting isn't much of a sport, mind you, but a pretty high success rate is possible with a very limited skill set.

Growing up ag I would agree, dispatching unwanted young bulls for the freezer was just putting food out and then a close range shot with a 22lr. Hoist it up with the front loader and get to work.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Seriously there is a lot that can be done with Ground Beef.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Really the whole cost, gun, ammo, stand, camo, travel, etc. and the time involved as opposed to working a job and shopping. It's easier if you live in the woods like we do, but most are not that fortunate.
    That’s what I was thinking but I wasn’t sure. Its different when you can take a 15 minute walk and use the loader to haul it back to the barn.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That’s what I was thinking but I wasn’t sure. Its different when you can take a 15 minute walk and use the loader to haul it back to the barn.

You are describing my style of hunting.

I just call the gardener on the cell phone when I have something down and she comes out with the tractor to pick it up.

Easy for us old people, my days of dragging deer any distance are long over.;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you predict a recession long enough, you'll be right. If you predict a recovery long enough, you'll be right. I'm glad I bought when I did and didn't buy into the 'it'll be cheaper in a year' idea, though. The cash in the system isn't leaving. The only thing that's going to cool inflation is an increase in supply of things to buy with that money. In short, you can raise supply of money if supply of things people want to buy with that money keeps pace. But it hasn't. So inflation has kept on keeping on. More money keeps finding it's way to the top 20%-ish of the population, who can still afford to buy the sort of vehicles under discussion.

I happened to see a rebate offer from Mark Dodge and remember this thread. Turned out it was right at a year, so I figured I'd take you upon the revisit in a year and see.
    So both of us are happy, I am happy I did not pay the inflated used truck prices of 75% of original MSRP for 5-6 year old trucks when the historical average is 35%-40%…

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Same
    You are describing my style of hunting.

I just call the gardener on the cell phone when I have something down and she comes out with the tractor to pick it up.

Easy for us old people, my days of dragging deer any distance are long over.;)
    same here I am a firm believer in the whole work smarter not harder when possible.

No cell phone for WCD cell service is non existent, When we dispatch anything from Coyotes to other predators they get cut up frozen and supplement the LGD’s diet.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So both of us are happy, I am happy I did not pay the inflated used truck prices of 75% of original MSRP for 5-6 year old trucks when the historical average is 35%-40%…
    Ah, but BBI has a truck and Mike does not!

I'm happy I got my lightly used truck for 45k in December...that MSRPs at 83k today...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The wife came home from Kroger a couple days ago. A case of Diet Pepsi was $12.00, what the ****. She watches the prices very closely so I hear about the grocery prices regularly. She said not only are prices going up but the packaged amounts are going down.

Shop the ads. My wife routinely leaves Kroger with 40-47% saved....her record is 50% on one trip...roughly $150-200 is the total when she goes. We keep a good supply of food and beverages on hand, and typically only buy what's on sale. We make a menu a week in advance so we know who's cooking what, on what days, and also what we need to pickup.

Even with the major inflation, we've noticed it, but it hasn't hurt due to our shopping habits. If I could just kick my Amazon habit we'd be set...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Meat handling and butchering are important skills to have. I'd venture to say they make all of the difference when it comes to making hunting a value vs the grocery store.

When deer processing went over $100, I was forced to learn by experience. That said, meat handled by myself has always been the best venison I've ever had. Even deer that should have been gamey, for various reasons, have not been when handled properly. I cannot say that for the majority of the deer that I paid handsomely to have processed.

:)

Top Bottom