• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Went to Meijer yesterday (ignored the no gun signs) to get a few things. Found that Blue Bonnet margarine was $1.89 @ box. It was $1.09 a week ago! Yes, it was on sale at the old price, so I stocked the freezer up. But a 42% price hike in a week? Started looking at other things a bit closer. Seems all dairy products are quietly going up. Canned goods also were up 10% - 20%. I didn't have the cahonies to look at meat prices. Fresh produce prices were headed north as well.

I guess gouging us on gas prices isn't enough for the people running the show. And now they are saying that electricity and natural gas prices could go up 35% - 45% this winter. For a lot of folks, it could be a rough winter. Heat or eat? Not a pleasant choice for those on a fixed income.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Or... realize/accept that the entire system is screwed up from the ground up.

Production, distribution, labor, Big G handing out money because of hardship stories on the nightly news, international woes, weather catastrophes domestic and abroad, oligarchs and CEOs, over-regulation and a financial house of cards that is teetering, but a quick hand-waiving and blaming the rich works as well. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I see that yesterday and today the gas prices around us went back up. $4.09 this morning.

To keep my house at 78-80 degrees this summer cost me well over $300/month. I'm thinking it might be a cold winter in our home!:spend:

I'm glad that I am okay with the few firearms I own. I could/would not afford to buy guns in today's market.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I see that yesterday and today the gas prices around us went back up. $4.09 this morning.

To keep my house at 78-80 degrees this summer cost me well over $300/month. I'm thinking it might be a cold winter in our home!:spend:

I'm glad that I am okay with the few firearms I own. I could/would not afford to buy guns in today's market.
    Dang, that's a lot for cooling. We kept ours at 72 - 75 all summer and I think my highest electric bill was around 160 bucks.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Ah yes, the by product of money printer going brrrrrrrr. When the CPI reports that grocery items are up 9% I laugh. Try about 30-40% on average. Crab legs for example are up over 100%. Used to buy them on sale pre-covid for $8/lb at JayC. Now they're 16.99/lb...... on sale

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Dang, that's a lot for cooling. We kept ours at 72 - 75 all summer and I think my highest electric bill was around 160 bucks.
    @gregkl probably has kids that leave the doors to the house open trying to air condition the whole outdoors. The kids probably opened the windows too because 78-80 degrees was too hot and they wanted a breeze.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ah yes, the by product of money printer going brrrrrrrr. When the CPI reports that grocery items are up 9% I laugh. Try about 30-40% on average. Crab legs for example are up over 100%. Used to buy them on sale pre-covid for $8/lb at JayC. Now they're 16.99/lb...... on sale
    Yup. CPI is so cooked. I can walk you through a grocery store and point out all the things that shot up 30-100% this year.

Reactions: Leo

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The wife came home from Kroger a couple days ago. A case of Diet Pepsi was $12.00, what the ****. She watches the prices very closely so I hear about the grocery prices regularly. She said not only are prices going up but the packaged amounts are going down.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That is what happens when you have a house built in 1963 with a beautiful wood vaulted ceiling with next to zero insulation. AC runs all day and being a hot summer along with higher rates hurt us.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is what happens when you have a house built in 1963 with a beautiful wood vaulted ceiling with next to zero insulation. AC runs all day and being a hot summer along with higher rates hurt us.
    Ah, that makes sense. Dad built our house in 1952, but it's single story ranch, Bedford Stone over cinderblock.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Went to Meijer yesterday (ignored the no gun signs) to get a few things. Found that Blue Bonnet margarine was $1.89 @ box. It was $1.09 a week ago! Yes, it was on sale at the old price, so I stocked the freezer up. But a 42% price hike in a week? Started looking at other things a bit closer. Seems all dairy products are quietly going up. Canned goods also were up 10% - 20%. I didn't have the cahonies to look at meat prices. Fresh produce prices were headed north as well.

I guess gouging us on gas prices isn't enough for the people running the show. And now they are saying that electricity and natural gas prices could go up 35% - 45% this winter. For a lot of folks, it could be a rough winter. Heat or eat? Not a pleasant choice for those on a fixed income.
    Most every one is a fixed income for the most part at least in the short term. And before folks say, but Social Security, etc. Social Security recipients actually are eligible for a COLA increase that tracks inflation better than most people's paycheck unless someone job hops.

And just my pet peeve on the use of fixed income term, as that's really most folks in the short term, and not as applicable to some folks as many think.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    After having a wife at home with 2 kids by ‘75 and starting a business operating on borrowed money then living thru Jimmy Carter’s 4 years and the resulting inflation and interest rates ( prime to 21% & operating loans at prime + 2 or3 % ) my prediction is…you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Sadly you may soon look back at today as the good ole days.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yup. CPI is so cooked. I can walk you through a grocery store and point out all the things that shot up 30-100% this year.

The convenient fully cooked bacon at Sam's, that used to be $7.98, was $21.48 (!) on Sept. 12.

269% inflation. Many, MANY things are well OVER 100% inflation since the Biden administration took over.

samsbacon.jpg

Top Bottom