• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes it could be a bit "awkward" for my boss to know my exact bra size but oh well. This wasn't intentional, and unless there was something more than an accidental email attachment I would say grow up. There is no "trauma". Move on.

Now if there were jokes or "items" showing up on desks or lockers, then there is an issue. But that DOES NOT appear to be the case.

I say no harm, no foul.

If I want to know how big your boobs are, I'll just look at them. An actual bra size won't tell me any more than my eyes will.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    If I want to know how big your boobs are, I'll just look at them. An actual bra size won't tell me any more than my eyes will.

Actual bra size would probably confuse more men than help, I've met women who don't really understand how it works. Like I said - I might feel a bit weird for a few days afterwards but it's not like breast and body size are all that "hidden".

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Actual bra size would probably confuse more men than help, I've met women who don't really understand how it works. Like I said - I might feel a bit weird for a few days afterwards but it's not like breast and body size are all that "hidden".

If the email leads to harassment, than those doing the harassment need to be dealt with harshly. I would think that in a job like LE, the men and women who work together would have enough camaraderie that this wouldn't be an issue.

A woman in a male dominated profession won't gain respect from the men by complaining about something like this. I'm reminded of a comedy bit that Foxworthy or Engval did about how women friends talk to each other vs male friends. I forget the whole bit but he said that if women talked to each other like men did, it would be something to the affect of "you water retaining sea cow".

I'm glad I don't work in supervision and have the women employees giving me the details of their monthly problems. I've talked to some supervisors who say you wouldn't believe the things they hear. I wouldn't think an actual bra size would be that personal.

I know a woman at work who worked at Victoria's Secret part time. She was telling me to have my wife go in for a bra fitting because many women don't know how to pick out the proper size. I used to tease her about "tuning" at that job.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

That's why I've never understood why a female would get offended if someone asked them their weight...One could weigh 160 lbs and be totally gorgeous and another could weigh 80 lbs and be disgusting.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    None of the rest of us would ever have known about the "memo" had it not been for the news article. It is not like we ALL got a copy. It really is a non-issue.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The article says chest size, rather than bra size. I'm assuming it was the "outside" measurement for a vest? That isn't exactly someone's cup size.

I know that shirt size for most of the ladies in our office. Who cares?

No, they shouldn't have emailed it around. And no, this isn't newsworthy.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    FTR, I believe in treating women with respect but I do NOT believe men and women are equal in all ways. Both genders have their strengths and weaknesses and neither is more important than the other. That being said, this business of some women wanting to be treated "equal" but still demanding special treatment when it suits them just annoys the heck out of me.

I'd really be interested in hearing opinions from the women of INGO on this. Would you have been offended or felt violated in this situation?

You have asked a very good question. Let me comment on your first paragraph first.

I agree with your statement, though I think there is difference in what was originally asked for when it comes to equal treatment. Women want to be paid the same as their male coworkers when they are doing the same job, with the same education, years seniority, and same quality work. To be treated equally when it comes to promotions and raises.

Now to say that men and women are equal in all aspects is just wrong. From the obvious, we don't look the same, aren't built the same. I don't want so much equality that you expect me to use a men's urinal. I am not as strong as my husband, yet I am stronger than a few men I know. Could I out work my husband in a physical job? Absolutely not. Could he do some of the jobs that I do that require a softer touch or a more technical/artisitic eye? Absolutely not. Together we make a great team though.

Now to your question. Yes, I would have been alittle upset, and depending on how this information is handled by the people who read it would determine if I felt violated or not. If nothing is mentioned of it again then no harm no foul, but if snide remarks or inuindo are made, either to me or behind my back that I catch wind of, then I would be a lot more upset. Here's why... you guys say we can see what you got, what's the big deal. I understand that, but my girls are personal, they are part of my sexuality. This is why women have tops to their bathing suits and not just bottoms like guys. I don't think you guys would like your sexuality measured and accidently put out in an email especially if you came out on the short end of the stick. Clothing and how you wear it can be your friend.

OK that's my :twocents:. You asked for it you got it. Aren't you sorry you asked now?

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I hate to say it, but most of the female IMPD officers I've seen became cops so they would have a reason for chasing cars. I'm really not interested in their boobs (or anything else).

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Goes to show you that the news outlets LOVE talking about us even if it is not worth talking about.

And that is the REAL issue here. Actually, if I were one of the women involved, I think I'd be more PO'ed at the fact that this had to become a "news story" then an accidental email to my superior.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    And that is the REAL issue here. Actually, if I were one of the women involved, I think I'd be more PO'ed at the fact that this had to become a "news story" then an accidental email to my superior.
    It is a known "hazard" but it does grow tiresome to have the media show up to your runs pressing you for a story when all you want to do is get the job done and move on. Blasted scanners. I've had them follow me around while I was driving a neighborhood looking for suspicious kids...possible burglars...ugh :rolleyes:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Would there have been an uproar if it was a list of boot sizes? Its just another piece of clothing, dont take it any more serious than that. If we all acted like mature adults this wouldnt be an issue, or a news story.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As long as the men's info was open to the same degree as the women's info, it would be sexist to NOT list the women's info.

I find it interesting that groups will fight for "equality", then when they get it are mad because they're being treated equally... LOL

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Informal poll here. I do mean this seriously and not just a joke. We all have different definitions of modesty and intimacy.

Let's say this list also included the length of the male officers genitalia. A previous poster mentioned that breasts are a part of her sexuality and thus personal. Would leaking male genitalia size be worse or equivalent to breast size? I admit that my first reaction is that male size is more personal than breast size. But I'm married and so what if Susie coworker finds out my Johnson may be small. The only one I need to worry about pleasing is my wife.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Informal poll here. I do mean this seriously and not just a joke. We all have different definitions of modesty and intimacy.

Let's say this list also included the length of the male officers genitalia. A previous poster mentioned that breasts are a part of her sexuality and thus personal. Would leaking male genitalia size be worse or equivalent to breast size? I admit that my first reaction is that male size is more personal than breast size. But I'm married and so what if Susie coworker finds out my Johnson may be small. The only one I need to worry about pleasing is my wife.

Depends. If they measured right after I got out of the pool I'd be pretty ticked off.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Well that would have been very weird.
    Why would you they ever need to have that measurement? :dunno:
    Maybe to make custom made condoms with the department's logo on it? :):

Top Bottom