Indianapolis Zoo, Posted, carry prohibited or OK to carry there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TN_Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    The backside of nowhere
    We plan on going to the Indianapolis Zoo next weekend. Probably buying a family membership since the zoo was our all time favorite family thing to do back home in Memphis. The Indy Zoo looks to be a nice one so I think we will probably like it as well.

Any of the members here from Indianapolis or the area know if the zoo in Indy is posted or if carry is prohibited or OK.

Appreciate any info, thanks.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    dont let them see it or you will be asked to leave. carry there is NOT against the law so you are well within your rights as long as you keep it concealed. they (the organization) are gun haters.

Lewis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I worked for several years at the Indpls Zoo and was a member of the Animal Containment Team, they are not anti gun, but very sensative to there vistors as long as it is consealed there won't be any problems.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    ^ What they said. I have concealed quite often with no issues (long-time Zoo member). It is against policy, just like smoking and no straws in your sodas.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Though someone will be along shortly to tell you that if a group of kids from a school show up in a school bus that you are now violating the law, as per:

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

This has been argued by both sides, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no case law defining this yet.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Though someone will be along shortly to tell you that if a group of kids from a school show up in a school bus that you are now violating the law, as per:

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

This has been argued by both sides, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no case law defining this yet.

but at least you can still buy beer at the zoo :): I always wondered why we took so many field trips there.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    straws dont have strings :):

not fooling me into sneaking a straw in there and getting thrown in with the lions :D

You realize now I'm imagining how to make a tactically wrapped straw right?

Lions? I think there are better places to throw people in there

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We plan on going to the Indianapolis Zoo next weekend. Probably buying a family membership since the zoo was our all time favorite family thing to do back home in Memphis. The Indy Zoo looks to be a nice one so I think we will probably like it as well.

Any of the members here from Indianapolis or the area know if the zoo in Indy is posted or if carry is prohibited or OK.

Appreciate any info, thanks.
    Everyone's basically covered it. Conceal it well and you're good to go, that's what I've always practiced while there. On the downside, the Indy Zoo isn't as nice as the Memphis Zoo, but it's a pretty good one. I definitely like the Memphis Zoo better.

Top Bottom