• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    According to the Database.... (yes the one we want made private)

There are 659900 residents in Marion County
    There are 42183 people licensed to carry a handgun
    That accounts for 6.39% of the population of Marion County

What percentage did the Mayor win his election by?

From wikipedia (Indianapolis mayoral election, 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    The Indianapolis mayoral election of 2007 took place on November 6, 2007. Voters elected the Mayor of Indianapolis, members of the Indianapolis City-County Council, as well as several other local officials. Incumbent Democrat Bart Peterson was seeking a third term. Republicans nominated former Marine Greg Ballard to run against Peterson. In what was called, "the biggest upset in Indiana political history", Ballard defeated Peterson 51% to 47%.[1]

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My letter

Mayor Ballard, although I am not a citizen of Indianapolis I would like to weigh in on your comments about vetoing any bill that might come before you in support of allowing the legal carry of firearms by licensed citizens.
    My family and I used to enjoy using the Monon trail as a form of recreation and exercise. This of course was some time ago as the number of violent attacks that have been happening there recently has forced us to make a choice of gambling that we won't be a statistic while using the trail or not using it at all.
    We often hear of new business' opening along the Monon that cater to the users of the trail and we also hear of business' closing along the Monon as a result of little or no customer base.
    I cannot in good conscience allow myself or my family to become targets of potential violence because of the decision that you have made to prevent law abiding citizens from defending themselves. In short my recrational dollars are no longer being spent in Indianapolis and until my right to protect family, friends and self is recognized by your administration we will discontinue our patronage of the recreational choices available in Indianapolis.:patriot:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Thanks Lex, rep given! But what does Indy currently do to people they catch carrying? I doubt the actually charge criminals on this and go for the bigger State crimes, leaving citizens that want to protect themselves out in the cold.

IIRC Municipal code states that any infraction without a defined penalty carries a maximum fine of $2,500. This, of course, assumes you have your LTCH. Otherwise you would, obviously, be guilty of carrying without a license.

It appears you'd be open to a ticket, and possibly a very hefty one.

Then there's also the question of whether such an action could be construed as you no longer being a "proper person"; not something an LTCH holder wants to occur.

I'd love to hear from any IMPD folks and attorneys local to the Indy area with knowledge on the subject.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    :patriot: I had an Idea he was soft on guns, then when he hire that NY guy for public saftey I was convinced he was anti. The Guy's a former Marine...Dosent that violate some code of former Marines?

file0001ro3.jpg

He was a bean-counter and a pogue.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I'd go so far as to call him an "ex" Marine. I know you guys are properly called "former"... but he turned his back on his oath and then :poop: upon it. IIRC, the code is Honor, Duty, God, and Country. To reject an oath freely given violates his honor at a minimum. No code, no Marine.

Admittedly, I did not serve, so my opinions are solely my own, and I defer on this one to those who've earned that title. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Blessings,
    Bill

file0001ro3.jpg

He was a bean-counter and a pogue.

I made a few posts on the comments in the link Pami gave, quoted above.
    One of them was along the same lines as what I posted here, that I considered Ballard a traitor to God, country, honor, and Corps.

I was promptly corrected by another poster that this is a judgment that may only be rendered by other Marines, and only in extreme circumstances, for example, John Murtha. (that is almost, if not an exact quote of his phrasing.)

Since there are former Marines here who seem to be of similar belief, and considering that, not being a Marine myself, I retracted that portion of what I had to say, if any of you so inclined would post to that effect, I would be most appreciative. I have no wish to overstep my bounds, nor to offend those who have earned the honor of the title Marine, but neither do I feel comfortable standing by while someone who I understand ran for office partially on that basis now uses his position to defecate upon our US and state Constitutions.

Thank you all.

Blessings,
    Bill

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    When I was a young paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne, we sometimes trained with the Marines. I attended a Marine school, The Amphibious Warfare Course at Little Creek, VA. Later when I changed MOS's, I worked as a missile technician instructor with several Marines.

In all of the above situations, I tried to make it a point to offend them as much and as often as possible. :)

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    MY GLOCK IS NOT A "GUN", AND THE 2A IS NOT A RIGHT

Before totally flipping out, all NRA Lifers, read all this article: Pat.
    NRA lawyer Paul Clements espouses the
    following, which are excerpts from
    his oral and written arguments to
    SCOTUS, in which he penned or uttered
    these little nuggets of liberty-loving
    patriotism.

“In our view it makes a world of
    difference, because the NRA certainly
    take the position, as we have since
    consistently since 2001, that the
    Federal firearm statutes can be
    defended as constitutional, and that
    would be consistent with this kind of
    intermediate scrutiny standard that we
    propose.” “The Second Amendment
    talks about 'the' right to bear arms,
    not just 'a' right to bear arms. That
    being preexisting has always coexisted
    with reasonable regulations of
    firearms.” And, “Absolutely, and just
    to give a clear example, we would take
    the position that the kind of
    'plastic' guns or guns that are
    'specifically designed' to evade metal
    detectors that are prohibited by
    Federal law are not "arms" within the
    meaning of the Second Amendment and
    are not protected at all.” My GLOCKs
    aren't "guns"?!?!?!?

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    IIRC Municipal code states that any infraction without a defined penalty carries a maximum fine of $2,500. This, of course, assumes you have your LTCH. Otherwise you would, obviously, be guilty of carrying without a license.

It appears you'd be open to a ticket, and possibly a very hefty one.

Then there's also the question of whether such an action could be construed as you no longer being a "proper person"; not something an LTCH holder wants to occur.

I'd love to hear from any IMPD folks and attorneys local to the Indy area with knowledge on the subject.
    Thanks! It's these little oddball laws that really annoy me for IN LTCH. The state laws are pretty clear but then you get into the local curveballs like thi and Speedway/Gary's exempt laws on concealed carry.

I wonder how often they lump that into charges against someone without a LTCH, which would get me started on the uneven enforcement of gun laws on previously convicted felons (i.e. TI the rapper).

Anybody get a response from Mayor Ballard yet?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks! It's these little oddball laws that really annoy me for IN LTCH. The state laws are pretty clear but then you get into the local curveballs like thi and Speedway/Gary's exempt laws on concealed carry.

I wonder how often they lump that into charges against someone without a LTCH, which would get me started on the uneven enforcement of gun laws on previously convicted felons (i.e. TI the rapper).

Anybody get a response from Mayor Ballard yet?
    IIRC, Speedway's is valid, but not enforced, but Gary's is invalid due to date of enactment... I could very well be mistaken, though, and I have no figures to verify that.

Blessings,
    Bill

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm just throwing this out there, but is anyone else tired of Greg Garrison's water-toting for this rino? He (Garrison) sounds more establishment than conservative these days. . .

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm just throwing this out there, but is anyone else tired of Greg Garrison's water-toting for this rino? He (Garrison) sounds more establishment than conservative these days. . .

Last week I heard Garrison, he was 100% behind the 2A on this issue. I hope nothing has changed since then?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

IIRC, Speedway's is valid, but not enforced, but Gary's is invalid due to date of enactment... I could very well be mistaken, though, and I have no figures to verify that.

Blessings,
    Bill

Gary has an ordinance against concealed carry? Valid or not, that is the first I've heard of it. I have heard that they have an "assault weapon" ordinance but I have no idea what exactly is covered under that. I can't find any of their ordinances online and to tell you the truth I'd rather not head downtown to find out. But that's just me. I've been planning on calling them to find out exactly what the local ordinances state, because unfortunately I do drive through there on occasion. But this gives me another reason too. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow and if that doesn't work out, I may in the next week or three bite the bullet(hopefully not literally) and head there to read them myself.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Gary has an ordinance against concealed carry? Valid or not, that is the first I've heard of it. I have heard that they have an "assault weapon" ordinance but I have no idea what exactly is covered under that. I can't find any of their ordinances online and to tell you the truth I'd rather not head downtown to find out. But that's just me. I've been planning on calling them to find out exactly what the local ordinances state, because unfortunately I do drive through there on occasion. But this gives me another reason too. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow and if that doesn't work out, I may in the next week or three bite the bullet(hopefully not literally) and head there to read them myself.

Share with us what you find. :)

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    I am incensed upon hearing Ballard's veto plan!:xmad: I live in the city and a young man was just shot and killed in a local park where I often take my son to play. (Highland Park) I am a frequent user of the Monon and parks such as Spades and Brookside and Garfield and Ellenberger.

I am sick and tired of suburbanites driving this issue and those that have flown to the relative safety of the lilly white neighborhoods that offer a false sense of security.

Yes, I know. I am often a liberal in many of my postings in these forums regarding social issues but I will be damned if I will be a victim to this nonsense. I can not speak with absolutely certainty but I do believe situational awareness has prevented attacks on me when I have been walking my dogs or out for a walk while living in the city.

I refuse to place my personal safety behind the political amibitions of one man or the coddling of a few big dollar donors.
    I used to live in this exact neighborhood (spades park), and my parents still live there. I DO NOT GO THERE IF I AM NOT ARMED. Better to be judged by 12, than to be carried by 6

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Oh, but Ballard's not anti-gun! Look here at the letter I got from him about two years ago...
    Thank you for sharing your comments regarding my recent statement on addressing illegal possession of firearms as part of our city’s comprehensive public safety strategy.

I firmly support the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States as well as legal, responsible gun ownership by law-abiding citizens. My focus, in addition to supporting the already-successful efforts of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD), is to reduce the threat posed by violent felons who continue to possess handguns in spite of current laws.

IMPD will continue to conduct warrant sweeps in targeted, high-crime areas, as recent sweeps have resulted in a high volume of guns seized from felons in possession. We will also continue to use technology and data that is currently available to aid local and state law enforcement agencies in their aggressive pursuit of felons who disregard the law.

I am not interested in adding layers to the existing criminal code, but we are looking at ways to better enforce the laws that we already have. That may mean seeking a tougher sentencing scheme for felons caught with handguns and taking the option for probation off the table. This measured response will go a long way in helping IMPD protect our citizens and the streets of Indianapolis.

I have committed to the citizens of Indianapolis that public safety is and will continue to be job one. We must all work together to make our neighborhoods safer and keep criminals off the streets.

Best regards,

Gregory A. Ballard
    Mayor
    City of Indianapolis
    pinocchio.gif
    pinocchio.gif
    pinocchio.gif
    pinocchio.gif
    pinocchio.gif
    pinocchio.gif
    pinocchio.gif
    pinocchio.gif