• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul K. Ogden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    I understand that Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard will have a booth at the Indy 1500 gun and knife show this weekend at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

I, like Ballard am a Republican. I am also an attorney and have represented gunowners against the City of Indianapolis.

I would strongly advise people to not fall for the appearance of support this Mayor shows for gun rights. They are empty words, not backed up by actions. I can tell you from my experiences in court, Mayor Ballard's adminstration strongly takes the position that the City of Indianapolis does not have to comply with the Second Amendment, that the Second Amendment is absolutely no bar to any policy or ordinance adopted by the City. This position is in direct conflict with our Attorney General Greg Zoeller who along with many other state Attorneys General have argued that the Second Amendment does apply to states and municiplaities.

The Ballard adminstration also has fought to defend one of the most strict gun return policies of any city in the Midwest. If police officers wrongly come into your house and take your guns (for example a search warrant has the wrong address), the policy of the City of Indianapolis is that those guns will not be returned unless the owner submits to fingerprinting and and the guns undergo ballistics testing.

I should add that Mayor Ballard has spoken out in praise of the New York City gun registration system and suggested adopting the same here.

Make no mistake about it. Mayor Ballard is no friend of gun owners. Don't be fooled by an appearance at a gun and knife show and empty rhetoric not backed up by actions.

Paul K. Ogden
    Attorney at Law

Ogden on Politics: Mayor Ballard Contradicts Attorney General Zoeller on 2nd Amendment, Targets Legal Gunowners With City's Gun Return Policy

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well said and much needed. Folks should click through and read a couple of Paul's other pieces concerning Ballard and guns. They're eye openers, to say the least. If you live in Marion County you'd do well to make his blog a frequent stop.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I understand that Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard will have a booth at the Indy 1500 gun and knife show this weekend at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

I doubt the Bozo himself will be there though, not without Bob Grand to hold his hand and tell him what to say, and I'm sure Bob would never soil himself by mixing with gun show rabble. What little naive underling is he sending in his place?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I doubt the Bozo himself will be there though, not without Bob Grand to hold his hand and tell him what to say, and I'm sure Bob would never soil himself by mixing with gun show rabble. What little naive underling is he sending in his place?
    The public safety hireling? That would make sense from a political perspective. Show him as being "pro-gun" and not anti.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Can someone post details of Scott v. City of Indianapolis, et al.as cited in Mr Ogden's blog. I did a GOOGLE search and can not find any details.
    I thought Scott was discussed here some time ago. It may be mentioned in a search here, (if the search engine actually worked).

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Thanks for the update. Though I'm not now a constituent, I have no doubt that he has aspirations for a higher office that I'll have the opportunity to vote for or against him.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sooo, the question becomes, "Who do you vote for, Ballard or the Democrat candidate?" Sadly, just like national politics it comes down to "lesser of 2 evils" when it comes to votes. Neither candidate is very good but one is "less bad" than the other.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Sooo, the question becomes, "Who do you vote for, Ballard or the Democrat candidate?" Sadly, just like national politics it comes down to "lesser of 2 evils" when it comes to votes. Neither candidate is very good but one is "less bad" than the other.
    Don't they allow third party candidates?

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anti gun Ballard!

:patriot: I had an Idea he was soft on guns, then when he hire that NY guy for public saftey I was convinced he was anti. The Guy's a former Marine...Dosent that violate some code of former Marines?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Don't they allow third party candidates?
    True, sorry for leaving them out. I have voted 3rd party many times but sadly they get little money or attention. Only adds to my voting frustration, and I will ALWAYS vote. I have since I was 18. I really liked Andrew Horning.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Probably, but like most 3rd party candidates, they are virtually invisible. If you find one... let us know (I don't live in Indy)

Most of my votes last election were for 3d party candidates. I think I voted for 1 republican because the 3d party guy in that race was pretty far out. I'm not in Indianapolis, either, as I mentioned above.

True, sorry for leaving them out. I have voted 3rd party many times but sadly they get little money or attention. Only adds to my voting frustration, and I will ALWAYS vote. I have since I was 18. I really liked Andrew Horning.
    Me too.
    :patriot: I had an Idea he was soft on guns, then when he hire that NY guy for public saftey I was convinced he was anti. The Guy's a former Marine...Dosent that violate some code of former Marines?
    Well there are certain "former" Marines that earn the title of "EX-Marine." Jeremiah Wright, for one. John Murtha, for another. We try to keep quiet about them having ever served.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I knew a long time ago that Ballard didn't believe in his oath when he has spoken out against firearm owners.

It could get interesting if he does show up at the show that keeps Mexican drug cartels well armed.

Sarcasm off.

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    Indy will unfortunately fall victim to the same anti gun mentality that D.C. and Chicago did, and look how well it has worked out for them. The masses will buy anything if it is wrapped in a shiny new package, even if it is still a box of sh!t

Top Bottom