• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Clearly you guys know nothing of the McDonald's coffee suit.

Coffee is brewed at between 205 and 210 degrees Fahrenheit. Willingly purchasing said product implies that one knows that coffee is hot, and liable to scald if you pour it on yourself (or squeeze it between your legs, causing the lid to come off and the contents to overflow).

Frivolous lawsuit, period.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Coffee is brewed at between 205 and 210 degrees Fahrenheit. Willingly purchasing said product implies that one knows that coffee is hot, and liable to scald if you pour it on yourself (or squeeze it between your legs, causing the lid to come off and the contents to overflow).

Frivolous lawsuit, period.

+1

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Do you care to elaborate? I am pretty familiar with the case, although not intimately.

Way back in my first year of law school, my Torts professor tried to explain how reasonable the lawsuit and verdict was. I saw his point, but didn't buy it.

But now, after 17 years of practicing civil litigation, my attitude has changed. I still don't buy it, don't see his point, think that professor should never teach another student and want the judge and jury tracked down and flogged.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    But now, after 17 years of practicing civil litigation, my attitude has changed. I still don't buy it, don't see his point, think that professor should never teach another student and want the judge and jury tracked down and flogged.

Tell us how you really feel.

At least, from my understanding, there haven't been any other "hot coffee" lawsuits that have been paid...I've read where they are sued quite often though.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case

https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=McDonaldsCoffeeCaseFacts

I can't find the story ATM, but I had also heard that the particular McDonald's had been cited numerous times over the preceding year by the local county health department for serving coffee that was too hot by local legal standards. That puts their conduct in the willful negligence category.

And yet their coffee was found to be within industry standards? And coffee is served that hot and even hotter today? Right there from the Wiki website. Go check the source.

I still don't understand the point you were trying to get across. The coffee was hot, she spilled it, got burned. Yes, the damage it did to her was bad, but it was ultimately her own fault.

ETA: In my mind, even if the coffee was served at 215 degrees, which is 20 degrees higher than the industry standard, she would still be to blame.

Top Bottom