• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chelise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    So, I have a quick question for all ya'll. A friend of mine is going to Kentucky this upcoming week and has an Indiana LTCH. I know that KY recognizes the IN LTCH. However, my friend is 18.

Can my friend carry in Kentucky with his LTCH or must he also be 21, since KY does not issue licenses until the applicant is 21 years old.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would think your friend will have to abide by KY laws. If you have to be 21 to carry a gun in KY, my understanding is that irrespective of whether you have a LTCH from IN, your friend cannot legally carry there. Though I'll gladly stand corrected by those that know this stuff better than me.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I believe it would depend on their code. If they have a state law that says possession of a handgun by a person under 21 class a misdemeanor or D felony then no. But if they just don't issue licenses until 21 then it might not matter.

I would assume it would be okay otherwise. But don't take anyones word for it. Please call the attorney general's office in Kentucky and find out.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From what I have been reading an 18 year old in KY cannot get a CCW but I have not found anything saying they cannot OC when they turn 18. I searched the KY State Police site and just skimmed this one NRA-ILA | Kentucky

Clear as mud, ain't it?

Since you basically live in KY, do you know of 18-20 year olds that open carry?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I believe it would depend on their code. If they have a state law that says possession of a handgun by a person under 21 class a misdemeanor or D felony then no. But if they just don't issue licenses until 21 then it might not matter.

I would assume it would be okay otherwise. But don't take anyones word for it. Please call the attorney general's office in Kentucky and find out.

Best bet would be to call the Kentucky state police and try to get an answer that was.

:+1:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Check this out, Chelise:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

Kentucky Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor.
    (Must be 21 years of age or older)

As I read this, the answer is 'no'.

He doesn't have a non-resident license. He has an IN resident LTCH.

What the above says is that, for example, KY will honor UT non-resident licenses since UT is a state whose license they honor.

Some states don't recognize non-resident licenses (ex. Michigan and Colorado).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    He doesn't have a non-resident license. He has an IN resident LTCH.

What the above says is that, for example, KY will honor UT non-resident licenses since UT is a state whose license they honor.

Some states don't recognize non-resident licenses (ex. Michigan and Colorado).

It's from the very first section of the .pdf...

Permits/Licenses This State Honors
    Kentucky honors all other states Permit/Licenses.
    Kentucky Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor.
    (Must be 21 years of age or older)

The way I read the section, in its entirety, Kentucky honors all other states' permits/licenses; they also honor non-resident permits/licenses...either way, you must be 21 years old. My mistake for not pasting the entire section, in context.

What is unclear to me is can a non-Kentucky resident OC there legally. ATM says yes. But I'd like to see it in writing.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...What is unclear to me is can a non-Kentucky resident OC there legally. ATM says yes. But I'd like to see it in writing.

You won't see it in writing because there is no code making it illegal. KRS 527.100 makes it unlawful for a minor less than 18 to carry a handgun with just a few exceptions. Concealed carry statutes can be found in chapter 237.

Here's a link to a nice breakdown of KY gun related statutes: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You won't see it in writing because there is no code making it illegal. KRS 527.100 makes it unlawful for a minor less than 18 to carry a handgun with just a few exceptions. Concealed carry statutes can be found in chapter 237.

Here's a link to a nice breakdown of KY gun related statutes: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

Thanks.

[+]527.100 Minimum age to OC: 18 for both handguns and long guns

That reads a lot like Indiana's. I guess there's no reason this wouldn't apply to out of staters.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That reads a lot like Indiana's. I guess there's no reason this wouldn't apply to out of staters.

Other than Indiana requires a carry license even if unconcealed. :noway:

The statutes apply to everyone. If an out-of-stater less than 18 is found to be carrying, they could be charged for it.
    OCing at age 18 is not prohibited regardless of residency.

Top Bottom