• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just as a heads up, Indiana does have hills and trees. Travel south.

map_physiography.jpg

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    First of all it ain't me using pea-shooters. And first shots were in chest, shoulda anchored them.
    I don't suscribe to tv hunting/gun writer practices where gun goes bang, critter runs, nimrod
    in 1000 dollar boots track blood trail, finds critter at say 107.5 yds dead,
    I want them a dead in 1/10 second.

Like I said earlier here we had 3 injuries in last 20 years and don't even know where bullets
    came from in all 3 cases..During hunting seaon, I'm 20 miles north of line where shotgun only
    starts, and even though some hills and woods here, huge deer numbers means huge nimber of hunters,
    and there are too many cars, people, houses, lake resorts, villages, towns, for it not to be shotgun only
    like below the line. The whole MI southern peninsula should be shotgun/ big bore.
    Used to be in next county north I could go 2-4 miles in places, never see road or house, now
    it is all 5 acre plots and houses/cabins on all, more roads, blacktops, cars. every swamp and
    pond a row of cabins around, most roads lined with homes. No place for small high BC
    rifle bullets that get away, miss, ricochet..Ed

Last edited:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    hubel458 said:
    there are too many cars, people, houses, lake resorts, villages, towns, for it not to be shotgun only
    like below the line.

The entire state of Kentucky, to include densely populated Jefferson Co (Louisville) and Fayette Co (Lexington) allows modern centerfire rifles for hunting deer. The state goes from 'mountains' in the east to flat agricultural fields in the west...and for some odd reason "stray bullets" really haven't been an issue the last 18 (this will make 19) years I've hunted there.

:dunno:

As for the 243..."first shots in the chest" doesn't say much. If they were hit in the shoulder with a varmint-type bullet, that would fully explain why it didn't "anchor them". Any load with a soft point bullet like those available from Wal-Mart into the shoulder would break it and drop the deer, and the same bullet into the heart/lung area would provide a clean quick kill...to say nothing of a CNS shot (head/neck/spine).

Last edited:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    The entire state of Kentucky, to include densely populated Jefferson Co (Louisville) and Fayette Co (Lexington) allows modern centerfire rifles for hunting deer. The state goes from 'mountains' in the east to flat agricultural fields in the west...and for some odd reason "stray bullets" really haven't been an issue the last 18 (this will make 19) years I've hunted there.

:dunno:

As for the 243..."first shots in the chest" doesn't say much. If they were hit in the shoulder with a varmint-type bullet, that would fully explain why it didn't "anchor them". Any load with a soft point bullet like those available from Wal-Mart into the shoulder would break it and drop the deer, and the same bullet into the heart/lung area would provide a clean quick kill...to say nothing of a CNS shot (head/neck/spine).
    just cause ya got a rifle doesn't mean bullet choice doesn't matter same goes for shot placement. a shot gun slug can go pretty damn far as well, as long as people arn't being stupid it don't matter much, hell i light off rifles all the time and i live in flat land central just watch what your doing.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    " Any load with a soft point bullet like those available from Wal-Mart into the shoulder would break it and drop the deer, and the same bullet into the heart/lung area would provide a clean quick kill..."

^ This. Shot a buck a few years ago, through the lungs, with a 6mm Remington, Barnes PSP at about 100 yds with a, (gasp) Encore pistol... DRT

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    " Any load with a soft point bullet like those available from Wal-Mart into the shoulder would break it and drop the deer, and the same bullet into the heart/lung area would provide a clean quick kill..."

^ This. Shot a buck a few years ago, through the lungs, with a 6mm Remington, Barnes PSP at about 100 yds with a, (gasp) Encore pistol... DRT

I hunted several yrs with a .243 and 25-06 bbl on an Encore. .308 bbl was in the safe but never needed it. Now I use a Contender in .35 Rem. Not really that much difference in a 14" bbl encore pistol and the carbine bbl they offered as far as distance the round would travel.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The laws don't really make since. If you can shoot a .243 out of a 14" barrel pistol, why not a 20" rifle. I always thought it was a safety issue, but does not seem to be the case, and Kirk made that clear. But why would states like Michigan and New York allow high powered rifles to the north and only shotguns to the south? Safety? My average shot, where I hunt is under 40 yards, so I'm happy with a 44mag rifle. But if it was legal, you bet I would have my 30-06 in the tree with me.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    People keep saying that they will draw the line at the 30-06. The 308 is good to go but maybe asking for the 30-06 is to much. People pick up a reloading book there is only 100 FPS deference in some loadings. Most loadings are the same and in the smaller bullets the 308 will do better than the 30-06. That is why the military dropped the 30-06. They could carry more ammo in 308 than 30-06 because of weight and they could get the same FPS in most loadings. People shoot the 308 Winchester out to a 1000 yards competitively. Also our military snipers use it.

That is what the powers that be don't want. Some one trying to shoot deer in Indiana at 500 yards or better. That is why the smallest bullet we can use in a rifle is a 358. I think the only reason you can use a 6mm in a hand gun is because they know that there just isn't that many people that are going to learn to use one. For most it just takes up to much time to learn to shoot one well.

There is an idea out there that you can just pick up any old rifle and any one can shoot it well. All you have to do is just look through the scope and pull the trigger. Now we know that isn't true but that is what most people think. Hand guns on the other hand are hard.

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Quote--the powers that be don't want. Some one trying to shoot deer in Indiana at 500 yards or

I don't either--- even though I love venison, could eat it 24/7

It is supposed to be a sport, give the deer a chance, 200yds max is fair and sporting to me...

here they have to put up with packs of ******* coyotes the ****head greens brought in
    and I as a sportsman killing them on top of that, at a third of a mile ain't right at all..Ed

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The rifle rounds in handguns thing.........doubt many folks will stop the truck, jump out and peel shots at 200+ yard deer (esp if critters moving) from their Encore, XP, or Striker pistols.

Scoped handguns have a bit of a learning curve and IMHO limit the kinds of shots one takes.

Sporting to me? Leave the gun at home and use a self bow or atlatl.

I'm just a slob though, so will continue to use a shortened .35 Rem in rifle, a side hammer MZ and heaven forbid............recurve.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Being new to the state I now understand why there is no market for some of the fine hunting rifles I have brought with me. But I also understand the reason. Too much of a danger in a flat state with no hills also it seems every tree in the state has been removed for farming or development.

Ok, again, no, it has nothing to do with topography.

1. Indiana is not flat.

2. Indiana is far more bumpy than most states that allow centerfire rifles.

3. The Pennsylvania study put an end to the nonsense that "shotgun are safer". That is gun shop teeth talk and complete nonsense.

4. The prohibition on centerfire rifles was a handicap to build the deer herd. The trophy hunters are fighting centerfire rifles tooth and nail.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Ok, again, no, it has nothing to do with topography.

1. Indiana is not flat.

2. Indiana is far more bumpy than most states that allow centerfire rifles.

3. The Pennsylvania study put an end to the nonsense that "shotgun are safer". That is gun shop teeth talk and complete nonsense.

4. The prohibition on centerfire rifles was a handicap to build the deer herd. The trophy hunters are fighting centerfire rifles tooth and nail.
    i agree, theres no reason that i can't the mosins or the mauser out during deer season. wouldn't the larger rounds increase damage to internals? wouldn't this allow a cleaner quicker kill? i don't see any reason for this law ether. im sure coyotes are killed like flies with 308s and 556s all season long, and we ain't had much problems yet?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Road, you apparently do not understand the magic pixie dust bullet theory of IDNR.

When a .270 is launch at a squirrel in a tree, it turns into pixie dust when it missed or passes through the squirrel.

Whereas when a .30-30 is launched down from a deer stand and misses a deer it kills all women and minorities within a 369.4 mile radius.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Unless one is a tool, varmint hunting means using varmint bullets and .......what Einstein launches .270's at arboreal rats?

SKS and case of ammo $100 each, I remember those days..................and some idiots skipping bullets into buildings and cars. A brush pile isn't a good backstop and a fmj at a woodchuck or yote out yonder in a flat field isn't cool.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    what Einstein launches .270's at arboreal rats

Thank you.

It is legal yet no one is doing such a thing.

Hoosiers use centerfire rifle cartridges for predation hunting of deer. When I brought this up in another thread (using a 6.5X284 on deer) I caused a firestorm. Where are the problems when people use centerfire cartridges for predation hunting? Where are the problems when people use centerfire rifles for any other type of hunting?

IF there is a problem, I think it could be addressed with a speciality license from IDNR. A day long class with a shooting test perhaps. Seems to me a two tier system would work but I don't run IDNR and I admit that there is a hornets' nest of political problems in allowing centerfire rifles.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Road, you apparently do not understand the magic pixie dust bullet theory of IDNR.

When a .270 is launch at a squirrel in a tree, it turns into pixie dust when it missed or passes through the squirrel.

Whereas when a .30-30 is launched down from a deer stand and misses a deer it kills all women and minorities within a 369.4 mile radius.

i guess i don't, but why is DNR afraid of the big bore rifle rounds?(45.70etc etc) it ain't like they go far, unless your trying to send one out there.

Top Bottom