• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    Indiana Hunting Regulations can be frustrating at times when you want to go hunting with a more common rifle caliber. I want to have the law updated so we can use a broader range of calibers.

Hunting white tail deer all 30 caliber rifles should be legalized in Indiana. These modern 30 caliber cartridges are used nationwide year round for hunting, target practice and other activities. People are limited on how they are able to hunt with the way the law is now; we are not able to used our Grandpa’s old 3030 rifle or any other modern rifle because of the current law. 30 caliber riffles are used in a lot of states for hunting deer and I believe Indiana should allow us to have the same option. I feel it’s a shame that many people who move to Indiana and have more common caliber rifles are forbidden to use them for hunting and can only find themselves with the choice of shots guns or the limited selection listed in the DNR book.

It can cost more than most people have to build a gun around the offered legal calibers. One gentleman said, “My dad has hunted with a shotgun his whole life, and the recoil is getting painful in his older age. I would love to let him borrow my rifle that has much less recoil, because I am not able to afford to buy him a new one that happens to fit inside Indiana’s narrow caliber rules”. Indiana ground isn’t flat like a lot of people say, we have hills which would be backstops for the bullets and people in tree stands don’t fire up in the air and their backstop is the ground. Hunters on the ground position themselves near a deer trail so that they can find a deer in a controlled space so when they shoot they have a backstop so the bullet will be limited on travel and won’t hit anyone. As far as the arguments against using modern cartridges, any bullet is lethal. If a hunter is shooting without being certain they have an effective backstop then they are willing to risk of someone's life for a deer. Hunter education should cover these safety issues.

My argument for legalizing modern rifle calibers would be:

*Greater accuracy so you will have a cleaner kill. The animal will suffer less, and you will have less wounded deers running away only to have the hunter not retrieve the injured deer and shoot another. The hunter would have more control of his shot placement limiting damage to the deer’s vital organs.

*More people own the more common calibers, so you may have more people take up an interest in hunting, selling more licenses and rifles in Indiana increasing Indiana's revenue.

*Hunters from out of state can hunt here since the rifle's they already own can be used also increasing Indiana's revenue by selling the higher priced out of state licenses.

*Most modern rifle calibers have lower recoil than a shotgun, allowing older hunters to hunt longer. It may also reduce injuries of people falling out of stands due to the heavier recoil knocking them off balance in a tree stand.

Please sign my petition. If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment in the forum’s thread. Thank you.
    Petition Indiana Hunting Rifle Cartridge Change

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The regulation is indeed an absurd harassment of hunters. If it is still in effect when I move back north then creative circumvention will be pursued.
    I have a .38 caliber wildcat that can be paper patched and the case neck shortened slightly to comply. Would just have to set aside a small batch of brass to satisfy "the regulators".
    Best wishes on getting the situation corrected.

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    Anyone who has not signed the petition yet please hurry I would like to get as many signatures as possible.

Thank you to all of the 69 people who have signed so far. :)

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    It seems like an uphill battle to get it changed.Like tilting at windmills..

How about just setting up shotgun calibers to get the power you want,
    like our 24ga FH... Make 24ga with 58cal rifled barrel, use 3" chamber,
    which could use 2.5" plastic or 2.5" magtech brass, or use a 3" 577
    case remarked as a 20ga case, which has right base size..

Could be loaded to big game rifle levels, could use
    Minie Bullets or jacketed 577 bullets . 440 gr Minie at 2500
    ain't nothing to sneeze at.ED

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    It seems like an uphill battle to get it changed.Like tilting at windmills..

How about just setting up shotgun calibers to get the power you want,
    like our 24ga FH... Make 24ga with 58cal rifled barrel, use 3" chamber,
    which could use 2.5" plastic or 2.5" magtech brass, or use a 3" 577
    case remarked as a 20ga case, which has right base size..

Could be loaded to big game rifle levels, could use
    Minie Bullets or jacketed 577 bullets . 440 gr Minie at 2500
    ain't nothing to sneeze at.ED

High expense, very difficult to manufacture ammunition, and a dislocated shoulder for whitetail deer? No thanks. Pistol caliber carbines will give similar trajectory and 358 wildcats superior performance quite adequate to even overkill for deer.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Recoil? .58 is the small bore the US military adopted when the troops complained about the recoil of the .69 caliber rifled musket.

Personally I prefer a little .62.

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    There isn't any 358 that will come close to a 585 cal 440gr semi-pointed projectile at 2500 plus,
    and that is a loaded down moderate load. .580-.585" Bullets are plentiful on GB, etc. 40 cents each.
    You can cast your own also for 20 cents. We did one with 200 buck barrel on a 100 dollar action, below.
    24 ga plastic cases from BPI a few cents each. 24ga Magtech brass ones buck each
    The long ones about 3 bucks each and last forever. And you can use jacketed bullets
    that are out there, shown in the picture.Ed

mossy24.jpg

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    All this hoop junping to go deer hunting. Kentucky and it's simple regulations is looking better with every passing day. Season is longer too, deer near as plentiful.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    $300 to deer hunt Kentucky as an out-of-stater starting this year...KDFWR gave us a big middle finger.

Are these regs posted yet?
    ETA: Found the new regs. I am seeing $260 for licence and tags. About a $70 increase. I'll also have to add in turkey tags.

Last edited:

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Rifled muskets are not driving them at 2500+ fps. Probably half that.

Recoil? .58 is the small bore the US military adopted when the troops complained about the recoil of the .69 caliber rifled musket.

Personally I prefer a little .62.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    There isn't any 358 that will come close to a 585 cal 440gr semi-pointed projectile at 2500 plus,
    and that is a loaded down moderate load.

Most of us prefer there to be something left of the deer so we can eat it. Hunting whitetail deer is not about who can hit it with the most FPE.

Even if I did, honestly after watching you spam boards for years...some where your work is so off topic that you are removed...I'd be working with some of the other people I know working similar (and more practical) concepts.

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    That velocity figure is just the possibilities of the cartridge, can be loaded lighter.
    The important figures are about the low costs to set it up, and shoot it for
    those who loke to reload and do things for themselves, and I researched
    it just for reasons you mention as a less recoiling, much less brass costs and
    projectie cost than the 12ga FH and bigger.

Shouldn't look down on experimenters and folks who try to do things
    for themselves, I just pass in info from research, most of which is others
    along with mine, and I make nothing if a guy gets stuff and
    builds a 24ga legal to hunt in Indiana gun.
    A legal 24ga shooting 585 cal Minie bullets, or many othe
    same diameter jacketed, from rifled barrel, that are cheap to
    buy or cast is a real practical Indiana deer gun. Even more practical
    than guys with short rifle cases, as it can be done cheaper.
    There are more bullets in this calober to use than any other
    over 458. About 20 different ones I know of.Ed

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    The following is from the most recent online and paper copy of Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide, page 22:

Shotguns must be 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-gauge
    or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted
    bullets. Rifled slug barrels are permitted.
    Combination rifle-shotguns are not allowed.

It appears that the 24 gauge is not on the approved list. However, I believe if the cartridge cases were trimmed to be from 1.16 (minimum) to 1.8 (maximum) inches in length they would be legal to be fired in a rifle using a bullet diameter equal to or greater than .357 inches.

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I think law reads shotguns. Crat writing rules based on the law, maybe
    only wrote down the common ones he knew of and maybe actual
    said nothing bigger than 10ga.So it was phrased that way..

Operating procedures by feds, means that term shotgun, means all shotgun calbers
    are the ones on all the early and recent cartridge lists like COTW.
    That is why we can own 10ga, 8ga, etc without a DD registration.

I personally think that a 24ga using 58cal Minie bullets, etc, is just as good as
    the same bullets in the 12ga super sabot we experimenters developed for loading
    your own.A sabot which a guy in Can now sells.Ed

Last edited:
    Top Bottom