• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Jeez!

That number includes federal taxes.

Indiana ranks 26th, from the source I saw, with Alaska being the lowest and Pennsylvania being the highest. So we're right about in the middle. We pay less than Ohio and Illinois but more than Kentucky and Michigan.

And yes, I think it is too high. That said, it is right in the middle, which I think tends to reflect a moderate approach.

It is not the highest on my list of complaints about politicians right now.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    We went down to the County bldg to pay our semi yearly tax tribute...stopped by to talk to the Assesors office and discovered ( you have to ask, they don't volunteer the info ) if your over 62 or a disabled Veteran you are eligible for a tax deduction. Next year our taxes on the Freehold should be around 100 for the year.

Looked into this so I could make sure my parents knew about it. I found this but it's for 65 and up.

https://www.indy.gov/activity/apply-for-over-65-property-tax-deductions

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would have less of a problem with this IF the gas tax revenue was used ONLY for the roads and not just thrown in with the General Fund.
    Fuel taxes should not be used to subsidize other spending.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    PLEASE NOTE! The deduction for age is only available if your house is valued below a certain amount which I don't remember. I called about that when I got my tax bill and noticed that I wasn't getting the age deduction. I was told that was because my property assessed value was above the maximum allowed.

Just another brick in the wall of taxes.

Lpherr

Occupied
    PLEASE NOTE! The deduction for age is only available if your house is valued below a certain amount which I don't remember. I called about that when I got my tax bill and noticed that I wasn't getting the age deduction. I was told that was because my property assessed value was above the maximum allowed.

Can I ask what the maximum is?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I didn't see that (for the Indy site at least). The reduction in assessed value was $14,000 or half the value of the home, whichever was less.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Was it last year that caught the idiots off guard and they couldn't figure how to spent our tax dollars in time that they had to give some back?

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Got to love the gas taxes & property taxes. Absolutely zero interest in making property improvements. better you make it the higher assessment & the more taxes you pay. I think all the lawyers & politicians need to be shipped to an island or put on a cruise ship. Once they are all gone, elect some new guys and strip all laws off the books going back to the constitution.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Got to love the gas taxes & property taxes. Absolutely zero interest in making property improvements. better you make it the higher assessment & the more taxes you pay. I think all the lawyers & politicians need to be shipped to an island or put on a cruise ship. Once they are all gone, elect some new guys and strip all laws off the books going back to the constitution.
    Excellent idea but I'd rather send them to northern Alaska...kind of an American Gulog

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Oh and don't forget the tax(building permits). You can't sneeze in anderson without a permit!

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Was it last year that caught the idiots off guard and they couldn't figure how to spent our tax dollars in time that they had to give some back?
    Yep. The Federal money let us hit the threshold. They fixed it this year though, we only get a auttax back now if our govt income grows too. Its disgusting.

Top Bottom