• Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    From a local news source:

Rochester Man Among Rescued Kayakers

Honelstly, why do people go out and try to do thigns that htey are not prepared for? I can't imagine "getting lost" on an Indianan river . I can imagine needing assistance inc ase of an accident or something happening, but calling a CO out at 10:00 at night just becasue you did know where you were?

I hope they were properly embarrased to find they were witihin a 1/2 mile of hteir intended destination...

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    100 years ago, Darwinism would have had its' way with them...now we rescue them so they can breed.

Honestly, those are some of my old stomping grounds and as teenagers we would go on float trips all the time fishing the tippy. Many times we would intentionally "get lost" so we could camp out on the river and catfish all night next to a camp fire. Those were the days before cell phones, so we just told our parents we were "getting lost" that night, and told them the stretch of river we were floating, and where we were getting out. There are enough houses along the tippy that if we got into trouble, somebody could make it to a house for help.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Exactly. How do you "get lost" on a river? You know where it comes from, you know where it goes. They just didn't feel like walking. Sheesh. :ugh:

I've been known to miss a dark, rural take out before, but never felt the need to call the calvary. You climb the bank, find the road, figure out how far you overshot or how short you are. Or in this case, look for the bright glow you're floating towards.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I can see where these guys are coming from.

Last year a few buddies and I went on an overnight Kayaking trip from Warsaw, to Mentone, on the tippy. This turned out to be the stretch of river from hell; there were log jams every hundred yards that required going over, under, or getting out and going around.

Luckily we stuck with it, since we were leap frogging all day with a young couple in a canoe. We would slow down to fish, then they would pass us, then we would pass them down river with our faster kayaks. When it started getting dark you could tell they were worried, all they had was a jug of water, no flash light, not even a lighter. Luckily we were there; we offered them a tarp, a sleeping bag, fire, and even plenty of fish to eat, since the fishing was insanely good.

Turns out they were still 3 hours, and tons of log jams away from their take out point, it would have been a rough night if we weren’t there to help.

The funny part is, the next morning we found out the couple was very religious, so they had to listen to us drink, and cuss all night; we felt bad about it, but considering the circumstances I doubt they minded too much.

Top Bottom