• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Mammoth Cave is well worth the drive and the tour.

Aside from that, no thanks.
    63ed5f41cd31df9e58847e293e38e172.jpg
    d2b1852283b82c7e1b726862435e2b1b.jpg

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    The commercial tours are all well suited. I have been to most of them with my kids, and we enjoyed all of them. You could do most of them in a long weekend tour, including Mammoth Cave

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Can't really add anything that hasn't been mentioned on the cave front, but if you do go to Mammoth Cave try to check out Dinosaur World as well. It's close by. They have a lot of life size dinosaur statues, a seeded 'fossil dig' where the kids can keep what they find, and some other small exhibits. We used to stop there on the way to or from Atlanta fairly often when my son was little.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Always fun to learn a little history. Im gravitating towards the Squire Boone cavarns and Blue spring cavarns.

Interesting story on Squire Boone:

Which led to another Indiana story made by the same youtube maker:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I believe there is an organized tour doing that every Monday night.
    I’m the property manager and the person who goes Monday nights. It’s not a tour, it’s a trip where new people interested in learning caving can join with sufficient notice and at my discretion as it’s my weekly exercise and opportunity to make sure our visitors haven’t vandalized the cave.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I’m the property manager and the person who goes Monday nights. It’s not a tour, it’s a trip where new people interested in learning caving can join with sufficient notice and at my discretion as it’s my weekly exercise and opportunity to make sure our visitors haven’t vandalized the cave.
    I might have to add that to my list to get to meet you.

Back in my youth in the 90s I'd go spelunking with friends around Bloomington and Bedford. Including the one that starts below the Bedford welcome crane through the culvert.

And a drop dead serious protip. Dont wear ANYTHING into a Spelunking adventure you dont want ruined. Cave mud will NEVER EVER EVER come out of those clothes. EVER. They will be permanently stained. You've been forewarned. :lmfao:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Been to Buckner frequently with scout troops and work groups. Kneepads essential, and being really short is an advantage. The place has been cleaned up considerably by a lot of hard-working people. It's great that there are folks working to keep it that way.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Where is Shiloh cave in Bedford? I've lived in Bedford for 45 yrs and have no idea .
    It’s on west 158. You need a little more than a waiver. Only ten trips a year are allowed so it takes some planning.

Anyone wanting to get involved with caving beyond commercial caves should go to the caves.org website to learn how to do it safely and responsibly. Caves are a fragile resource and as the guy who has to get up in the middle of the night to come rescue people who get in trouble, I’d rather sleep in :-)

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County

Wow, that's amazing! Do you have more information on this? How technical are the trips? Any equipment needed? Are kids allowed?

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I used to go almost every weekend back in the early `80's ........I doubt you can even access these any longer ?
    Started out at Salamander Cave ( Good beginner cave ) -
    also went many times to Buckners ( I think we could have made it without light we went so often :) )
    - Waynes Lost Cave -
    Sullivan Cave ( I think I remember someone said it was 10 miles long ?? ) We camped out all night to tried to make it to the end. Never saw the end .
    The best to me was Reeves Cave ( a lot of water to wade through right at the beginning ) Nice formations and not trashed out like most .

Top Bottom