• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Important thing I left out. The Mrs made some really dumb choices years and years ago. She doesn't drive at the moment and won't be able to for another couple years. I bring her to work at 3 every day. Uber rides would be ~$30 a day for just one way but she makes an outlandish amount of money bartending. Our working plan is for her to do it at least another year after I find something else here to do before we start trying for children.

So as ridiculous as this sounds do any of these options have a early morning to 2 pm option realistically, or a 4pm to midnight? She's making close to 80 a year now as of the last 4 years but spending 200 a week on uber would be 10k a year til she leaves and that is a pretty big hit, at least in my eyes

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Important thing I left out. The Mrs made some really dumb choices years and years ago. She doesn't drive at the moment and won't be able to for another couple years. I bring her to work at 3 every day. Uber rides would be ~$30 a day for just one way but she makes an outlandish amount of money bartending. Our working plan is for her to do it at least another year after I find something else here to do before we start trying for children.

So as ridiculous as this sounds do any of these options have a early morning to 2 pm option realistically, or a 4pm to midnight? She's making close to 80 a year now as of the last 4 years but spending 200 a week on uber would be 10k a year til she leaves and that is a pretty big hit, at least in my eyes

Sometimes you have to eat the short term suck for long term gain.

When I came back to the US, I worked 3 part time jobs (communications center for a sheriff's dept at night, armored car guard in the day, carpentry on the weekends) *AND* too a full load at U of L for a year until getting hired by IPD.

LE is much less picky about getting hired now. Used to be if you didn't have college or military or some special skill (foreign language fluency, for example) it was very tough. Now, not so much. You can't need a certain schedule, though.

EMTs make nothing. If you aren't also a firefighter it's a dead end gig. (Former EMT)

If you have physical limitations from prior injuries, trades will make you older faster, as will LE, and .mil is likely to turn you down at MEPS.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Sounds like your current situation is putting limitations on your options.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sounds to me like you are suited for restaurant work. I have a friend who started as a server at an Olive Garden, moved up the ladder through different positions and eventually became the managing partner at a Longhorn and now is general manager at a nice locally owned place. I think that career trip happened in about 10 years. He does well.

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Another +1 for the trades, my son is also a pipe fitter and loves it, 5 year apprenticeship program, decent money during the program, had to go to school on mondays and Wednesday nights at the union hall. After 5 years has a bachelor degree plus all his welding certs and his journey man’s card. Starting pay for him after getting his card 4 years ago base was $84,0000. Not sure what he is making now. Heck of a program, he worked his butt off but well worth it!!

This is his local

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I went to Ivy tech to learn hvac.
    When I was hired I was told to do myself a favor and forget it all.

On the job training was far more valuable than ivy tech.

Our plumbers get sent to school to get their license.

All the trades have their ups and downs and blah blah. One good thing about being an electrician is you are not expected to use a broom or vacuum. EVER.

Shots fired.:):

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    LE is hiring everywhere and almost every department is understaffed. You basically have to have a pulse and not sold heroin in the last 30 days and you'll likely be hired.
    Retired in June, agency can't get 1 qualified person to backfill the spot. Records or turds.

When I started you had to know someone to get in.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Retired in June, agency can't get 1 qualified person to backfill the spot. Records or turds.

When I started you had to know someone to get in.

I can't even remember the amount of people we've hired this year... sixteen in the last few months and we still have an emergency hiring day later this month. Some of the people we get are actually pretty good and squared away. Others, not so much. We lose a lot of them to other PDs, though. Once they have academy, they are a commodity.

When I got hired on here, the PD was doing a lot of IA investigations into a lot of shady things (mostly ghost employment type stuff). I didn't know anyone and that actually helped. I have a record, though, so I never thought I'd actually get hired.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Redheads are dangerous!

Too bad you didn't get told that when you were young.
    I absolutely would not have listened to said advice. Everyone told me the first one was trouble. Most told me the second was, too. The third was trouble but she's a different person now.

Funny, too, I went from a Lindsey to an Ashley to a Lyndsey to an Ashley to a Lindsay to an Ashley. All the L's were brunettes and the A's redheads.

I guess I have two types and only two types.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I absolutely would not have listened to said advice. Everyone told me the first one was trouble. Most told me the second was, too. The third was trouble but she's a different person now.

Funny, too, I went from a Lindsey to an Ashley to a Lyndsey to an Ashley to a Lindsay to an Ashley. All the L's were brunettes and the A's redheads.

I guess I have two types and only two types.
    DoggyMama is a redhead. We've been together 19 years (it'll be 20 in May). Let's just say that a bronc rider staying in the saddle for 8 seconds doesn't impress me much. :):

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Sometimes you have to eat the short term suck for long term gain.

When I came back to the US, I worked 3 part time jobs (communications center for a sheriff's dept at night, armored car guard in the day, carpentry on the weekends) *AND* too a full load at U of L for a year until getting hired by IPD.

LE is much less picky about getting hired now. Used to be if you didn't have college or military or some special skill (foreign language fluency, for example) it was very tough. Now, not so much. You can't need a certain schedule, though.

EMTs make nothing. If you aren't also a firefighter it's a dead end gig. (Former EMT)

If you have physical limitations from prior injuries, trades will make you older faster, as will LE, and .mil is likely to turn you down at MEPS.
    You're right. I'm severely lacking sleep after the last couple days worth of life throwing more sh*t my way. Just finally fixed up our old car to sell it (~2600) and then 2 small household repairs ran us 1400, then the suv we actually drive is getting ready to need all new rotors + pads which will run around another 1k, but 2 nights ago it threw a warning light saying there is some other malfunction in the brakes and to stop immediately etc, which I just found out is a abs control unit, about 900 for parts and labor.

So no sleep, all stress. But taking a 10k loss a year for a couple years is the smart move versus doing this or taking a sh** job that will let me take her to work instead.

I'd be pinching dollars in the dark using lit up 10 dollar bills to find the way basically. Towards a dead end nonetheless.

I just hate to send her in an Uber with how crazy the drivers can be but luckily she really loves guns. I just wish she'd pay attention more.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Work your way up in restaurants, most like to promote from within, including to their corporate office or field support positions.

I agree.

If you like the restaurant gig, they can pay fairly well. In my early 20's I was KM at a couple national chain restaurants. The money was very good for being a babysitter. Had a nice place and a new car. Hours were brutal though.

Within the last year I went back to school to finish up my Masters, just 4 classes left. With so much uncertainty in the economy I figured it may get my foot in the door someplace if the business closes up.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I don't know if they do it as much here but I was recently down south taking car of some family matters and they had climate controlled storage businesses where the person that worked there got a free apartment, had weekends off because they had a designated assist for that and the place was really nice.

Not saying it's a career, but could it be a job where one could cut down costs drastically, still have weekends free and probably have some time in the evening for classes, etc.

The lady working there said benefits were good, they were treated well, etc and they had ability to move up (her husband worked for same company on the retail property mgmt side).

Whole new meaning to that WFH angle. And it sounded like the lady I talked to about it had a good situation where there was no expectation that because she lived on site that she was on the hook 24x7 at all.

Top Bottom