• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Always thought Canada was a polite place. Check this out.............:@ya:..........<><Duce:
    https://www.canadaammo.com/product/byManufacturer/2/dominion-armsgrizzlycougar

Not sure if I follow...
    I think many of the (what would be considered) SBSs are for outdoor protection use in Canada.

Are you saying that having these in circulation as unrestricted firearms (and unregistered in Canada, if I understand their laws) help keep the place polite? As in "an armed society is a polite society"
    Or are you trying to be comedic (not really ironic, but close) and say that these seemingly vicious weapons are the opposite of what you'd expect the polite Canadians to own? (why no purple?)

Either way, those are some pretty cool back-country shotguns.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't know anything about Dominion Arms, but that DA NP27 1911 Pistol + PMC .45 ACP 500 round COMBO for $450 Canadian ($315 US) is a very impressive price.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I found this: The key is that it is a factory made SBS (not modified by user)

"Get caught with [a sawed off shotgun] at the wrong place and time, and you’re looking at serious time in a federal penitentiary.

But if a shotgun comes from the factory with a shortened barrel, even as short as 8½ inches, you’re in the clear – they are completely legal in Canada with no special restrictions.

If a factory-produced shotgun has a barrel less than 18 inches, it’s legal so long as its overall length is greater than 660mm, or 30 inches, and the action is hand-operated, like a pump-action.
    “NON-RESTRICTED (YES, REALLY!),” says a site offering Canadians a Dominion Arms Grizzly, which came from the factory with an 8.5-inch barrel. About 600 Grizzlies were registered in Canada at the time the long gun registry was deleted outside Quebec.
    “They used to have very limited availability in Canada, not because they were necessarily prohibited, but because in the United States that have a federal law restricting shotguns with barrels shorter than eighteen inches,” says Ottawa-based firearms lawyer Solomon Friedman.
    “So manufacturers weren’t really making them. They’ve now started making them just for the Canadian market, because we have different laws.”

Sawing off a shotgun can mean serious prison time ? but loophole allows new shotguns with 8.5-inch barrels - National | Globalnews.ca

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Canadians aren't polite. They like to THINK they are polite, but in reality the vast majority I have dealt with have been self-important douchebags that look down their nose at us stupid Americans.

AS for hte SBS.... cool?

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I find it ironic that in the US weapons such as these are restricted and licensed. In Canada if you are licensed to own a firearm, you go to the local hardware, buy one and take it home. Thanks for the editing suggestion........:@ya:...........<>< Duce

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know anything about Dominion Arms, but that DA NP27 1911 Pistol + PMC .45 ACP 500 round COMBO for $450 Canadian ($315 US) is a very impressive price.

I don't know anything about them either, but you're right. A lot of their prices were impressive!

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County

I do find it ironic, that many think that a shotgun cut down to 10" or so are so devastating. I've read study of velocity loss and barrel length (shortening) in rifles. Not so for shotguns, there should be a point of diminishing returns................:dunno:...........<><Duce

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

I do find it ironic, that many think that a shotgun cut down to 10" or so are so devastating.

It's not devastating. It's simply shorter. I like this guy's review. Apparently, Canada has some face palm-crazy laws, just like the US. You can't cut down at shotgun below 18", but buy a commercial SBS and you are fine. :wallbash:

[video=youtube;YOn4ZiK-dxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOn4ZiK-dxE[/video]

Also, based on the OP's link, the shotgun discussed in this video is $266 (US).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I do find it ironic, that many think that a shotgun cut down to 10" or so are so devastating. I've read study of velocity loss and barrel length (shortening) in rifles. Not so for shotguns, there should be a point of diminishing returns................:dunno:...........<><Duce

I always assumed it had something to do with making it more easily concealed, but I really don't know.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    DD: I always thought the same way. But let's outline this, 8" barrel, 9" or 10" of action, and 3" for a pistol grip. What have you got, a shotgun 20" long or so. That will hold 2 maybe 3 rounds, with a muzzle blast that maybe as dangerous as the projectiles. No I don't want to be shot at with it. In my opinion once you start shortening short enough that the mag needs to be modified, you're in that area of diminishing returns. Even a single shot or SXS would be 12" or so overall and very limited. Concealability, you could probably conceal a 6" large frame revolver easier. The point of all this is that, maybe our government is passing laws on things that aren't that much of a threat. Yet they hold Canada up as an example of gun control yet their subjects can own these kind of weapons....:@ya:....<><Duce

Top Bottom