In addition to your ccw what other less lethal self defense gear do you carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I clicked on this story because I never considered a less-than-lethal personal protection until today.
    My dad was called to my cousin's house where one of them had gone wierd and started tearing his mom's house up and breaking things.
    I gave my dad my .38 (just in case) but it got me to thinking....what about if a family member has a bad day or goes ballistic for one reason or another? I'm absolutely certain that my dad did not want to shoot his nephew.
    Are there any serious commenters with valid ideas about less-than-lethal products or tactics?
    Other than one or two postings about flashlight or collapsable baton, I saw a lot of sarcasm in this thread.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    26ce6816a5f2e634087b64543b91afa9.image.732x550.jpg

Paperweight, just in case I'm working outside and it gets windy (it is Indiana after all).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm an advocate of options. Pepper spray has it's place (and it's shortcomings).

For example, you can avoid a lot of grief (i.e. aftermath) by pepper spraying a threatening dog rather than shooting it.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    My mouth. Saying the right things at the right time can go a loooooong way in almost any situation. And I have sharp incisors... lol

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I clicked on this story because I never considered a less-than-lethal personal protection until today.
    My dad was called to my cousin's house where one of them had gone weird and started tearing his mom's house up and breaking things.
    I gave my dad my .38 (just in case) but it got me to thinking....what about if a family member has a bad day or goes ballistic for one reason or another? I'm absolutely certain that my dad did not want to shoot his nephew.
    Are there any serious commenters with valid ideas about less-than-lethal products or tactics?
    Other than one or two postings about flashlight or collapsible baton, I saw a lot of sarcasm in this thread.
    Less-lethal Weapons are usually misunderstood in there use and employment. Batons, Flashlights, and Pepper spray can all be very lethal if used improperly.

Most situations, like the one you described can be avoided. In the situation you described, if I thought I needed to make sure I was armed before talking to a family member, I would have called the Law and let them talk with the family member instead of me.

Evade, and avoid are about the only 2 less lethal options that work, and they only require you to think before you act...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Less-lethal Weapons are usually misunderstood in there use and employment. Batons, Flashlights, and Pepper spray can all be very lethal if used improperly.

:+1:

I like the collapsible baton because it can be lethal or non-lethal depending on what you're doing with it.
    You can induce pain by strikcing large musle groups to let the guy know that you want him to back off (if verbal warnings failled of course), from them if the guy is still getting more aggressive you can break bones, if that's not enough you go lethal.All that without having to switch tools and in a very short period of time.
    Of course you can go lethal right away too depending on the situation.
    I also love the baton because it's a tool you can use for many other things besides self defense

I like pepper spray for dogs mainly.If an angry dog is getting a bit too close to you you can just spray him before you get attacked.
    With a gun you cant really do that, you will usually have to shoot once you got bitten.You cant shoot a dog in the middle of the city just because you felt he was getting too aggressive and coming too close.

You gun can also also be used as a non-lethal weapon as long as you dont press the trigger.And just like with the baton it's easy to go from non-lethal to lethal with a gun by just moving your trigger finger into position.

Top Bottom