Illegal to have a gun on college campus in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwhites4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    I was told today by a Campus Cop is it "illegal to have a firearm on a college campus in the State of Indiana." He didn't mean against the rules of the school, he actually said "it is against state and federal law to have one on campus, even if it is locked in your vehicle." I am 99.999% sure it is NOT in violation of ANY law in Indiana or Federal Law to have a firearm on a college campus. Does anyone know for sure what the law is? I have been through the IC numerous times and all I can find is K-12.

Last thing I want to do is be in violation of a federal or state firearm law and go to jail for ignorance of the law. I am planning on calling a lawyer in Indy tomorrow and spend a little money on retainer or fee for info just to prevent me from going to jail. Any and all info is welcome.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    He lied to you. There is no law against having a gun on a college campus. Next time ask him to show you the IC.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I was told today by a Campus Cop is it "illegal to have a firearm on a college campus in the State of Indiana." He didn't mean against the rules of the school, he actually said "it is against state and federal law to have one on campus, even if it is locked in your vehicle." I am 99.999% sure it is NOT in violation of ANY law in Indiana or Federal Law to have a firearm on a college campus. Does anyone know for sure what the law is? I have been through the IC numerous times and all I can find is K-12.

Last thing I want to do is be in violation of a federal or state firearm law and go to jail for ignorance of the law. I am planning on calling a lawyer in Indy tomorrow and spend a little money on retainer or fee for info just to prevent me from going to jail. Any and all info is welcome.

Nope Im sitting up here at IUPUI with an LCP at the moment

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As others have said, it's not illegal. BUT, you could be expelled from school for breaking their rules. That's a clear consequence of disobeying the rules they put forth. And you could be asked to leave and charged with trespass if you fail to leave. You just have to figure out where you're going to stand.

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    He said guns were illegal on campus, eh? Well, I wouldn't listen to him, since a buddy of mine told me campus police aren't real cops.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    He is either:
    - misinformed
    - lying

If you are a "guest" on their property, the absolute worst thing they can do is ask/require you to leave. If you are a student or staff, you could be disciplined and/or expelled/fired. Tenured faculty? Pretty sure you have to murder someone in cold blood on the President's doorstep to get in any trouble. Even then..... ;)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    He said guns were illegal on campus, eh? Well, I wouldn't listen to him, since a buddy of mine told me campus police aren't real cops.

Keep thinking like that.

Purdue police have to go through the Indiana State Police Acadamy before they can become a Purdue police.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    Funny VUPD tried to tell me the same thing. However when I spoke with them on the issue I Backed my argument with the IC and told them my lawyer would gladly settle the issue for us they decided to politely ask me to not bring any guns on campus and the issue would be dropped.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    They are misinformed......not all campus PD's are the same either.....IUPUI for example, many of their officers are 3rd or 4th year criminal justice students...apparently they go through some training by IMPD or something (from what I've been told)....but it's a matter of opinion if you would consider them a "police officer".....I considered it when I first attended until I found out that the student officers only made like $8/hr :n00b: I can't see them having "full police powers" and carrying a gun with that kind of pay, but who knows IUPUI are a bunch of greedy A-holes

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    They are misinformed......not all campus PD's are the same either.....IUPUI for example, many of their officers are 3rd or 4th year criminal justice students...apparently they go through some training by IMPD or something (from what I've been told)....but it's a matter of opinion if you would consider them a "police officer".....I considered it when I first attended until I found out that the student officers only made like $8/hr :n00b: I can't see them having "full police powers" and carrying a gun with that kind of pay, but who knows IUPUI are a bunch of greedy A-holes

The ones who always respond here to the hotel have full police authority. I dont think I have run into any students

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The ones who always respond here to the hotel have full police authority. I dont think I have run into any students
    Yeah, I don't know how they divide duty with the student police and whatnot....I know some of them are pretty easy to tell with their nose pointed high and a little "pep" in their step....but never had a confrontation with any of them.......when I first got discharged I saw an employment ad for their department and contacted them about it....when I learned all this I kind of had a :n00b: look........regardless, weapons on campus is by no means "illegal"

Top Bottom