• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    On Jan 1 of this year I noticed a strange email confirming an order with Zappos (later I learned that's a shoe store) and saw that the order was being shipped to North Carolina. Thinking the email was spam since I didn't know what Zappos was I went on about my business.

The next day Jan 2, I wondered if maybe the order was real so I checked my credit card statement online. Yep, the charge was real as well as almost $2,000 of other charges that day with other online merchants. Next I checked my bank debit card and found more than $5,000 in bogus charges from that day. With the total climbing I began reporting my compromised cards.

Here is where it gets interesting! Today I received a call from someone with a Middle Eastern accent (not a surprize) claiming to be with one of my credit card companies investigating the reported fraud. Now being wary of being put through the ringer again I demanded she identify herself to my satisfaction so I could be sure she was truly with the company. Three time I gave her a chance and three times I got the same response. "This is Lena with ** Credit Card Company** calling about your reported fraud." Finally I mentioned some less than pleasant words and hung up giving her no information.

Thinking about the deal I decided to call the credit card company and inquire with them about what they could have wanted if indeed it was one of their reps calling. After explaining the call from Lena to a real representative of the company he checked my accounts and could find no trace of anyone from the company calling me. The reported fraud was noted and charges credited to my account and he said "there would be no reason for anyone to call me about the fraud. If any of their reps would have called there would be a note on the file from their auto dialer at the least."

Upon further discussion I have learned when your card is compromised the crook knows when the card starts getting declined. With that information they wait a couple of days and call masquerading as representatives of your credit card company who is investigating your fraud report. It's all logical that the company would contact you during the course of the investigation and know the charges (because they made them). Wanting to do the right thing, many folks would unknowingly provide the crooks with their info again.

Don't get caught! Just because you have them stopped for now doesn't mean the game is over.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    The EXACT same thing happened to my wife last week. Zappos charge and everything.

Fortunately, we bank with Chase and they had them shut down before we even knew about it. They credited us back the $10 Zappos charge and all of the others were declined.

Scumbags need to be :ar15:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I didn't know they were doing this now. Thanks for the info! Glad your credit card company is helping you sort it out.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    How did the fraudsters get your phone number?

Seems to be a lot of questions there. They also have my correct address! If I had to guess it was probably through an online order for something?

One of the parts of this ordeal that frustrates me most is we have a delivery address;
    201 Luke Hobbs Farm Rd
    Newton Grove, NC 28366-8027
    I would like for the police or somebody to deliver the package that these folks so richly deserve.....

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've had fraudsters call me wanting to "verify my account information". They then proceed to ask me to confirm my account #'s at which point I tell them to read the numbers back and I'll confirm or correct it. It's at this point that they start insisting that I give them the number so they can confirm it. That's when I start laughing and hang up!

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Seems to be a lot of questions there. They also have my correct address! If I had to guess it was probably through an online order for something?

One of the parts of this ordeal that frustrates me most is we have a delivery address;
    201 Luke Hobbs Farm Rd
    Newton Grove, NC 28366-8027
    I would like for the police or somebody to deliver the package that these folks so richly deserve.....

I presume you Googled the address. It does exist. Rather innocuous-looking house out in the country.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    no! I guess i never thought of googling the address! I should do so.. The house probably has a sign in the yard suggesting "discount crack" or the like. Thanks for the idea!

Churchmouse, Since I have been offline for a while farming, I see the grand daughters are growing like a bad weed... Are they as angelic as your avatar would promote?????

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    no! I guess i never thought of googling the address! I should do so.. The house probably has a sign in the yard suggesting "discount crack" or the like. Thanks for the idea!

Churchmouse, Since I have been offline for a while farming, I see the grand daughters are growing like a bad weed... Are they as angelic as your avatar would promote?????

When they want to be......:)

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    I presume you Googled the address. It does exist. Rather innocuous-looking house out in the country.

If the county has a GIS and/or property tax lookup you might even be able to even look up the registered owner. I'm on a tablet or I'd try.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I let LIFE-LOCK take care of this stuff, if it happens. So far it hasn't happened to me but I don't think I am in any way immune.

Thanks for the post. :ingo:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I had the same issues with my Navy Fed card a zappos charge, lands end, and starbucks. I haven't used my Navy Fed card since 2010, but they were good ta taking the charges off and sending me a new card.

Top Bottom