If you learn anything from the Rittenhouse trial, learn this: don't try to avoid jury duty.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    There are people out there who are fighting for their freedom, or their very lives over BS charges. There are also people out there who are trying to get away with things that they should be convicted of. I wouldn't want to be judged by people, like the old adage goes, who were too stupid to get out of jury duty.

I haven't ever served on a jury, but if called, I would gladly serve. My mom served on a murder trial once, and they convicted, and it was a newsworthy event and they were correct to do so. My wife served on a domestic violence one, and they acquitted, which I think was the correct verdict, based on the details of the case as she related to me after the trial. She actually used her knowledge of defensive techniques I had taught her, as well as her general common sense, to determine that the guy was a big f'ing liar and the actual agressor, and not the other way around. :):

If I'm ever involved in a self-defense situation, and I have to defend myself again later in court, I hope that my jury consists of people who ARE smart enough to get out out of jury duty, but understand that it is their responsibility to serve and DON'T try to get out of it. I'm going to be that guy for you, if they call me. Will you be that guy or gal for me, if they call you?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Got a several page form I had to fill out back in 07. Filled it out and sent it back. Never heard another word about it and have never gotten anything in the mail.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I always get the paper to fill out and send back in for county court. Even got one for one of the higher courts this year. Can’t remember what that one was called, district or federal or something, whatever the big one is for the state. I dont know squat about the court systems. I just remember id have to drive like 2 hours if i got called. That probably would have yielded an interesting case but that never happened.

If I got the call then sure, i could use a couple days off work. Deciding someones fate based on lawyer talk, allegations, and alleged evidence, doesn't excite me though.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Been summoned 5 times and served twice.

I will avoid having to serve like the plague, until they want to compensate me for my time. $40 a day doesn't cut it, and having to use my vacation days is ********.

Pay what I make a day and I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There are people out there who are fighting for their freedom, or their very lives over BS charges. There are also people out there who are trying to get away with things that they should be convicted of. I wouldn't want to be judged by people, like the old adage goes, who were too stupid to get out of jury duty.

I haven't ever served on a jury, but if called, I would gladly serve. My mom served on a murder trial once, and they convicted, and it was a newsworthy event and they were correct to do so. My wife served on a domestic violence one, and they acquitted, which I think was the correct verdict, based on the details of the case as she related to me after the trial. She actually used her knowledge of defensive techniques I had taught her, as well as her general common sense, to determine that the guy was a big f'ing liar and the actual agressor, and not the other way around. :):

If I'm ever involved in a self-defense situation, and I have to defend myself again later in court, I hope that my jury consists of people who ARE smart enough to get out out of jury duty, but understand that it is their responsibility to serve and DON'T try to get out of it. I'm going to be that guy for you, if they call me. Will you be that guy or gal for me, if they call you?
    I'm your huckleberry. I've been seated on two juries, and people would be amazed at the stuff people pull up to get off a jury. Especially drug cases. The Marion County one, I watched probably a dozen black people get out of it, and they all said the exact same thing. It was like they were reading off a card. The drug defendant was a black male, and he ended up getting an overwhelmingly white jury seated, but not until after a veritable busload of potential black jurors swindled their way off of it. To hear them tell it, "They hate drugs" and they hate the defendant before hearing a word. Honestly, white jurors are the best thing that ever happened to a black drug defendant, because you're going to have at least a couple of them who are Ron-Paulers who think drugs should be legal (that is - assuming they're not "smart" enough to lie their _own_ way off of it, based on their personal views).

If Black Lives Matter really cared about keeping black males from getting unjustly incarcerated, they would at least make some attempt to address this.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

I will avoid having to serve like the plague, until they want to compensate me for my time. $40 a day doesn't cut it, and having to use my vacation days is ********.

That’s the only issue I have with it. $40 a day, and there’s no set amount of days... my family can’t live off that, and my company can’t afford me gone for an unknown period of time. I’d love to serve on the jury, but until I can at least break even, I have no desire to.

The trick is to say you’re prejudice against all races.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I've been a defendant and a witness, but never a juror.

Besides the heavy responsibility involved, I think it would be fun to be a juror, to see what it's like from that side of the rail. I would always wonder about the evidence that either side wasn't allowed to introduce, but I would make my decision based on the evidence presented, and I would stick to my position unless there was something I missed in the evidence or testimony. I'd rather hang the jury than give a compromise verdict. I don't care what they're yelling outside the courthouse, or what might burn if they don't like my vote.

Doxx me, or threaten me? Bring it. That'll be the next trial, on the side of the rail I'm used to. :):

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Recieved and filled out the questionnaire several time but have never been called. Been selected for the pool once but never called. I've always heard my occupation is a likely reason I'd never end up on a jury, but don't know if it's just a joke or a real thing.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That’s the only issue I have with it. $40 a day, and there’s no set amount of days... my family can’t live off that, and my company can’t afford me gone for an unknown period of time.
    And technically on the first day, juror interview and selection, it's only $20.

Last jury I sat on was a total of 5 days. So $180 for the week. And it took almost 2 months to get paid. Had to either burn a week's vacation pay or pull from savings. Wasn't very happy about either of my options.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've been a defendant and a witness, but never a juror.

Besides the heavy responsibility involved, I think it would be fun to be a juror, to see what it's like from that side of the rail. I would always wonder about the evidence that either side wasn't allowed to introduce, but I would make my decision based on the evidence presented, and I would stick to my position unless there was something I missed in the evidence or testimony. I'd rather hang the jury than give a compromise verdict. I don't care what they're yelling outside the courthouse, or what might burn if they don't like my vote.

Doxx me, or threaten me? Bring it. That'll be the next trial, on the side of the rail I'm used to. :):
    Exactly,jack around and find out.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy

I hope you never have to bet your freedom or your life on someone who is more concerned with their compensation than doing the right thing.

A couple hundred bucks stands between you and some low quality juror. You're ok with someone being wrongly convicted by rubes, because it might inconvenience you for a couple weeks? Maybe you're the low quality juror that should be avoided anyway.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I hope you never have to bet your freedom or your life on someone who is more concerned with their compensation than doing the right thing.

A couple hundred bucks stands between you and some low quality juror. You're ok with someone being wrongly convicted by rubes, because it might inconvenience you for a couple weeks? Maybe you're the low quality juror that should be avoided anyway.
    Say what you want. Doesn't mean **** to me. I know what kind of juror I have been, as I Have Served, but I will avoid at all costs. Losing over $1k per week is not acceptable in my book. May be ok for you but not for me.

Not to mention a long drawn out trial would seriously hurt the buisness I run. The shop would essentially have to shut down if I'm not there.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Recieved and filled out the questionnaire several time but have never been called. Been selected for the pool once but never called. I've always heard my occupation is a likely reason I'd never end up on a jury, but don't know if it's just a joke or a real thing.
    Whats your occupation if you don’t mind me asking?

Top Bottom