If you claim to be a Christian, what keeps you from gathering with a local church?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I used to attend regularly, was very active in Bible study, serving in groups, and helping others.

Then some things happened that brought on significant challenges in my life, and I discovered that there was no one in the church there for me. Figured if I was on my own anyway, why bother?
    Sometimes it is more about what you can do for others than what one can do for you. I wonder if Jesus felt that way?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    It's a big book. There are many commandments, below are some examples:

John 20

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Acts 15

28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
    29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The church we attended was great. Pastor who is humble has services that I thought were aimed at me. My wife said they were for her. We both got something from every service. No cookie cutter teachings. We stopped going when Covid started killing the group. We have backslided now. We will go back soon. I miss it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Some don't attend church services because they feel like Christians hate the gay community or because the church is anti-abortion. Some feel like they aren't worthy to go. Others feel like everyone in church are hypocrites. Some work hard, do a lot of family stuff (especially with kids) and want to stay at home and sleep in. Some quit going after the scandals and coverups of child molesting priests. Some, who work all week long, set aside Saturday for work around the house and want to engage in their favorite recreation on Sunday. Some quit going during COVID and haven't gotten back into the habit. Some were heavily involved in a church and had a bad interaction with a committee or other church group. Some gave up on church when someone they cared a lot about was taken away at an early age. There are as many reasons not to go to church as there are people who consider themselves Christian but don't attend services in person. A lot of churches have mid-week services and Saturday ones as well. It does require one to set aside an hour or so every week to worship with fellow believers.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Sometimes it is more about what you can do for others than what one can do for you. I wonder if Jesus felt that way?
    I shared my simple answer to the OP's question, leaving out the sorry details of my struggles.

A person could react with compassion, or with condescension like most church goers would.

I wonder which way Jesus would have reacted?

I still do things for others, I just quit associating with people like you.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Because in my Opinion some churches have demonstrated that they are about worshiping the $ nothing more.

How about a church around here where they is a flood of BMW’s and every other high end car I. The lot. Upon egress they tear out of the parking lot often exceeding speeds of 60 mph in a 30 zone, if they are on the road you better damn well get out of your way as you have no right to be there on the roads, fail to stop on your green light by their driveway you can expect to be honked at at at the minimum the middle finger.

And it’s all good you know because they just came out of church. So I would ask if you are in a garage that no more makes you an automobile than being in church makes you a good person.

Perhaps many would rather practice their faith by acting like a believer, versus proclaiming I am a Christian but their actions demonstrate perhaps they need to do a little more work.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just my opinion from my own experience.

This is a church.
    entrance-to-modern-church-picture-id147706320

This is The Church.
    blogs.jpg

There is a difference.

I played church for years. I was raised in a Untitled Pentecostal church. Going through the motions as that was what I believed I had to do. I even did a few years in a bible college.

In my early 20's I really just got tired of it. Drama, gossip, showmanship etc (I'm not saying I wasn't a part of some of that) just made me feel the game was up. I stepped away for many many years and did my own thing.

Fast forward to 2018. I had a pretty bad health scare. So what did I do when I didn't think I would make it and it was totally out of my hands? I went back to the one who created me. I found a church where a buddy of mine attended. It was small but I felt comfortable. They had small groups. 6-12ish people who meet on a regular basis to study the Bible, talk about life and be there for each other. I tried a few and over time, found a group that fit me.

I've had more spiritual growth in that group than Sunday services. It's not that the messages are not good and they don't help me. They have. But the messages, help and encouragement that come out of our group, from each other over a two way conversation and on a deeply personal level, is amazing. It's personal.

My personal relationship with Jesus just doesn't happen on Sunday morning. It's in the small group but more importantly, it's on my time. I don't expect to eat a meal on Sunday and not eat again until the following Sunday.

So why do people leave church? I left because I looked for the answers from the church. I found the answers in The Church.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used to attend regularly, was very active in Bible study, serving in groups, and helping others.

Then some things happened that brought on significant challenges in my life, and I discovered that there was no one in the church there for me. Figured if I was on my own anyway, why bother?
    I understand that. Just like when a couple gets divorced, a lot of people start to stay clear because they either don't want to bother or do not feel equipped to help. Either way, it does hurt.

I have seen churches, mostly those who have broken away from the denominations and that status quo, that do get things right. I was part of a conversation where several close friends were quietly assembling for the benefit of a brother in trouble. They were prayerfully asking for wisdom and had decided that two of the group would visit the man in trouble to help him through the rough times. They were also taking great care to protect the man's dignity and privacy. This activity should be typical, not rare.

OneShotPerDay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Connersville
    You do not have to attend a church to believe in a higher power.
    I have yet to find one I feel comfortable with, and I have tried.
    It's the people.
    We speak to the lord every day. My spouse believes deeply. We don't need any guidance in this.
    Let's leave it at that OK.
    I agree Churchmouse. The Bible says where 2 or more are gathered in his name, he will be there. People still like to make it known they go to church for the social status. We are to spread the word of Christ no matter where we meet for fulfillment.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Something like this happened to my brother a few years ago. People are going to let us down. People are clic-ish, those with the secular power, charisma, wealth, etc seem to attract much of the attention in church too.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Dave Morrow wrote a book years ago. It was "why men hate going to church".

The 1st century church was lead by men of conviction, who were willing and often did die standing for their faith. In America we started letting the church be feminized. The whole program is wrapped around women and children. The leadership became feminized and often the men still in the lime light are what I call girly men. The teaching became watered down. Certainly women of wisdom have a place leading younger women and children.

Women are not supposed to lead men. Men are supposed to lead. Not only spiritual areas but ancillary details also. I watched a normally sound church put a woman in charge of the bi annual outdoor work detail. She went straight to the "I am the boss" attitude and effectively shut down the all volunteer workforce. Now they have to hire the work to be done.

The goal of a church gathering is to worship and know GOD and enjoy HIM forever. The duties of a church is also to teach doctrine, (and learn to apply it) reproof and correction, and instruction for righteousness. In my experience a Chaplains meeting in a prison or a Celebrate Recovery bible study looks more like the 1st century church than today's mainline denominations.

The regular meeting is supposed to be a place to get charged up and instructed to lead your family and others in your circle of influence through the rest of the week. It is not to full fill an attendance requirement. If it is done right, the regular meeting is something for a real, God honoring man to look forward to attending.
    I heard a podcast talking about the feminizing of the church and how it drives men away a few years ago. There is much truth to this.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I am very sorry to hear that. That's disappointing to say the least. Where do you live? There is undoubtedly another church nearby that has a different feel and people who can support you.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Like Big Tanker, I grew up and attended United Pentecostal Church or similar (ALJC for one). While I loved the fire and brimstone preaching, I never bought into all of the holiness/legalistic stuff.

Once we started attending a similar “style” church without the legalism, it seemed almost anything goes…Cleavage and skin tight clothing, men ogling them, talk and actions that I’ll never approve of, even though I’ve failed there myself.

Oldest son attends a different church now, has been made a pastor, and seems to really enjoy calling me a heretic (I find that a big word for small minds), and the constant attacks keep from ever wanting to attend his church. Unfortunately my wife almost worships him, and uses holidays to, such as Mother’s Day, to beg me to go there.

Then there’s all the BLM garbage that so many churches adopted after George F really made me struggle with going to my own church.

I guess I could sum all that up by saying we are called to love people, but people really suck overall, & I pray for wisdom, knowledge, deliverance and understanding every day. I don’t fit in very well with the “me, me,me” generations, I try really hard to make someone/s day better every day.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My church (ITOWN Church in Fishers) is very focused on this question and we talk about it all the time. The entire experience is set up with the intent to make people feel welcome no matter where there are in their faith walk. Admittedly I walked in my first time as a complete atheist and felt very at home. At least enough to come back the next week, and the week after that.

A lot of people feel like they have to get it together to get to God, but that's backwards. They should get to God to get it together.

Traditional religion is all about ritual and rules which turns a lot of people off if they feel far from God. They don't want to feel judged or that they're on the outside looking in. They need a place to feel welcome first, then they can begin their spiritual journey.

My church has a mission statement of helping people get from where they are today to where God has called them to be. It's one step at a time based on the ideas if Reach, Connect, Go, Grow.

If you would have told me three years ago that church would be one of my favorite places and that I would have a deep connection with God, I would have laughed at you. I was as pretty much as far from God as one could be, yet He has been waiting for a relationship with me this entire time until I was ready. Once I was ready, the blessings that He brought to my life have been truly amazing.

If anyone is looking for a church in the north Indy, Hamilton County, Bluffton area, I highly recommend ITOWN. We now have three campuses to attend. I would be happy to meet with anyone at a service, sit with you and answer any questions about the ministries or support groups, activities they offer.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My church (ITOWN Church in Fishers) is very focused on this question and we talk about it all the time. The entire experience is set up with the intent to make people feel welcome no matter where there are in their faith walk. Admittedly I walked in my first time as a complete atheist and felt very at home. At least enough to come back the next week, and the week after that.

A lot of people feel like they have to get it together to get to God, but that's backwards. They should get to God to get it together.

Traditional religion is all about ritual and rules which turns a lot of people off if they feel far from God. They don't want to feel judged or that they're on the outside looking in. They need a place to feel welcome first, then they can begin their spiritual journey.

My church has a mission statement of helping people get from where they are today to where God has called them to be. It's one step at a time based on the ideas if Reach, Connect, Go, Grow.

If you would have told me three years ago that church would be one of my favorite places and that I would have a deep connection with God, I would have laughed at you. I was as pretty much as far from God as one could be, yet He has been waiting for a relationship with me this entire time until I was ready. Once I was ready, the blessings that He brought to my life have been truly amazing.

If anyone is looking for a church in the north Indy, Hamilton County, Bluffton area, I highly recommend ITOWN. We now have three campuses to attend. I would be happy to meet with anyone at a service, sit with you and answer any questions about the ministries or support groups, activities they offer.
    I have a good friend that goes to ITOWN, i've heard good things about it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The first Christian gatherings were in homes, caves, out in the open such as a field. It was a long time until there was a church dedicated to worship of the Christ.

There is a church for everyone you just have to search for one. Will you believe like or get along with everyone in it? No you won't because they are human and worse they are Americans for the most part which means fiercely independent individuals. :)

Just like this forum. We agree with some on some things and disagree on other things. It will be that way in church. As long as the church is teaching the whole Bible that should be enough. If it's a compromise church I'd get out before you get drug down with them.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I go to church to worship my God and to hear the Word. I don't expect the sinners there to be any better or worse than average people, because I'm a sinner and no better or worse than the average person. I'm not an overly expressive and sociable person, no doubt due to my experiences in life. The pastors and a few people are always friendly to me and that is good enough for me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been asked if I've ever been born again? Yes. Usually when one confessed their sins and ask forgiveness they do their best not to sin anymore.
    Are we perfect? No, but we are forgiven.
    I believe in John Wesley's teaching when it comes to doctrine.
    I believe one strives to make themselves holy before God. I also believe we backslide and fall from grace if we go out of our way to sin word, thought, and deed.

Top Bottom