If you carry should you consult with an attorney?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I would like to get fellow members opinion on this issue. I have concealed carry for years, but have recently read multiple articles stating if you do this, you really should meet with an self defense lawyer who is knowledgeable about gun laws in your state, discuss in advance with him or her what you should do if you have to defend yourself, and have their business card ready to call if you do defend yourself. This really seems to make sense to me. We discuss stopping power of the ammo, and which gun is best etc., but if you do have defend yourself, it would seem to me there is a mountain of aftermath you will have to deal with and it would be best to already to have spoken with an attorney and have a plan of action in place. What is everyone else's thought on this?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I think at the very minimum, you should own and read Indiana Handgun Law by Ciyou. But I don't think any of what you said is a bad idea.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Detroit
    I would have to agree to each there own. But certainly not a bad idea to have a plan in place in the unlikely event you should have to defend yourself applying "deadly force".

DT

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am not going to consult an attorney before I drive to town so, NO, I do not feel the need to consult an attorney before carrying a firearm. There have been some very educational discussions with outside links right here on INGO. I would recommend you read through them. We have several legal eagles on this group and they have added their expertise to some of the threads.

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks, I have read the Indiana Handgun Law 2nd Edition by Ciyou and would recommend everyone read it also. I would think it would be best to have your attorney already selected, interviewed etc., rather than be scrambling when you are in "pokey". this way you can be selective rather taking whoever services you can secure. I would also think the better ones would be quite busy and you would be unlikely to get their services on a short demand

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess I have never been worried about picking one out, I am friends with several. My problem would be picking one without ticking off the other guys.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I see some new commercials coming to a television set near you. :laugh:

I really don't think it's a bad idea, but if anyone ever has to defend themselves, I would guess the best advice any lawyer would give is to stay silent until they arrived. I don't think anyone would stop and think about what their lawyer said if they are in a predicament where their life was in danger.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    If you carry, you should know the law. If it takes talking to an attorney to know it, then you should talk to an attorney.

Read the book listed above. Read lots of threads past and present on INGO. Ask questions here if you have any regarding the text. Now, read the book again.

Beyond that, I agree, the best legal advice is to keep your mouth shut until your attorney gets there if you run into trouble.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I was at a gun safety course and when asked about defending yourself in and out of the house, the instructor simply said always have an attorney on standby because you will need one.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I don't think it is necessary because I once heard "every bullet has an attorney attached to it" already. I'll have to look into where I remember that quote from though.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I agree. Say nothing to the police until you have a lawyer present and you have time to calm down and think clearly. People get themselves in trouble with the law all the time because they speak before they think.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    since you used the second parson, no. I'm going to law school. I'm sure I'll know someone who can help me.

Top Bottom