• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, I bought a spam can of 7.62x54r ammo from pappy56 today, and I got to looking at the cans I have now and I started wondering what all of the markings on the lids mean. Does anyone know of an online guide to identifying spam cans?

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    You got me curious enough to go down the basement and look at the cans I got back in 1978. Besides the caliber and number of rounds, and the lot number, there's two markings....
    one looks just like a women's bra streched out flat (I kid you not) and the other looks like a rear sight V-notch on a cheap .22 rifle.

I never noticed these before. I guess as a dumb enlisted Airman, I've been trained not to ask questions. ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here's the one I bought today. I mean, the 7.62 is obvious (although is it x39? x54r?) and the round count (440), but I have no clue what the other markings are.

3525glf.jpg

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Tell you the truth, I'm not sure that's an American ammo can. The shape and color seem odd and the lettering makes no sense.
    Well, at least it ain't Chinese.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Tell you the truth, I'm not sure that's an American ammo can. The shape and color seem odd and the lettering makes no sense.
    Well, at least it ain't Chinese.

It's not American. It's surplus Eastern-bloc 7.62x54r ammo.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know what kind of ammo it is. For the purposes of this discussion, I'm more interested in the markings on the can.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Scutter knows what it is.....but what if you came across a bunch of cans that you didn't know what was in them? Sure you can open them and find out, but what if you had to buy them first? You may end-up with a lot of ammo you don't have a use for.

Top Bottom