• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Ok, I want to expand my gun collection; I want to add a revolver to the mix…. (I watched those damn Bob Munden videos on youtube go figure, that’s what started this..…lol) I do not have one and have never owned one so I am asking the experts (you guys) what do you think would be a good starting revolver????? I am looking in a handgun book and there is this Taurus the shoots 410 or .45, looks cool, but 410, is that a bit much???? What do you know about this one??? R :draw:

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Well, that depends on several questions. What is the use or purpose of the revolver. How much in budget? Can you get a revolver that is the same caliber as one of your other pieces so that ammo can be purchased in bulk and used for either one? Revolvers have previously been used a lot in CC and HD, as they were thought of as being extremely relaible. No chance for FTE. Since then of course, the quality and other options has for the most part put this to rest.

If you are looking for a CC or HD piece, then something along the lines of a .38 would be a good start. If you are looking for a deer gun, go with a .357 long barrell. If you are looking to plink and have something you can put a lot of rounds through and not have to pay a fortune for ammo, there are a lot of nice .22 revolvers out there.

It all comes down to personal preference.......

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the Taurus you mentioned, sorry.

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Thanks for the info, I think im looking into something to plink with..... I am thinking about 22, fun and cheap to shoot...... price, really havent thought about it, just kinda open to ideas...... thanks again

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Thanks for the info, I think im looking into something to plink with..... I am thinking about 22, fun and cheap to shoot...... price, really havent thought about it, just kinda open to ideas...... thanks again

If you are only wanting to plink then 22's are the way to go. The Taurus .410/45LC in your first post has very mixed reviews and would be an expensive plinker

Good Luck :draw:

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7B3k9FclpU"]YouTube - Taurus 4410 THE JUDGE 3 INCH[/ame]

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Consider this, since you did mention Bob Munden, how about putting together a modern cowboy set.

Get yourself:
    1) Ruger Vaquero chambered in 38spl/357mag.
    2) Marlin lever gun that is chambered in 38spl/357mag.
    3) Cheap 12ga SxS coachgun/shotgun.

I have actually been considering putting something like this together for a long time for myself, but then my BRD kicks in.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    The taurus you are speaking of "the judge"
    Is a VERY cool piece i have the 6 1/2 inch model and i love it ..
    But as sam said it depends on your wants and needs ..
    upside to the judge
    1. it is cool as hell
    2. you pop somebody with a 410 pistol they will leave you alone ...lol
    3. its fun to shoot
    4. its cool as hell
    5. its cool as hell

get the picture

the down side

1. 410 and 45 LC are expensive to plink with
    2.with 410 after around 10 yards your done .
    3. the rifleing in the barrel is not as deeply cut as a nomal 45 LC so it can handle the 410 so after 50 yards with 45 lc accuracy drops
    4. the weight

as i said though i love mine and i plan on buying the 3 inch version
    but honestly its not really that practical .

i would recomend an all around revolver for your first
    like a 4 inch barrel .357 either a smith or a ruger gp100

with the 357 good stopping power not TO expensive
    and you can plink with .38 special for around $13 a box

best to just go the gun shop and buy what feels best to you in your hand

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    If you want to plink, I would strongly suggest the Ruger Single Six, with the xtra magnum cylinder. I have been a 22 revolver fan since my 1st one 38 years ago. And by far the S-6 is my pick. You CAN'T wear them out. For "point and shoot' accuacy the ballance and pointability is superior. I have shot running rabbitts and other moving targets with them. The 22mag has better ballistics than a 38 special. I like to shoot hedgeapples to watch them explode.. So it can double as a defense weapon with recoil that even ladies and children can manage easily. Plus, you don't go through the ammo like you do with an auto. Slower rate of fire and longer reloading time equals more deliberate aiming, and less spraying and praying. A 50 round box will last 3 times longer in a S-6 than an auto. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Oh, don't be tempted to buy a Heritage, They're NOT nearly the gun the Ruger is.
    I hope this helps.

34oSc

I suggest a Colt Diamondback if you want a .22. A Colt Python if you want a .357.
    Expensive, yes, but these pieces are going to hold their value.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Hard to beat the Ruger Single Six for a first wheel gun for reasons already mentioned. Good place to start. If you find you like wheel guns you can easily transition to a Blackhawk or other single action and from there to double actions.

BTW single actions are a lot of fun to shoot and not hard on ammo for obvious reasons but I wouldn't suggest depending on one for defense until you've spent many hours and a lot of ammo getting familiar.

Sounds like Dice Dealer is a good judge of the judge. It is a cool novelty but not much more.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    what do you think would be a good starting revolver????? I am looking in a handgun book and there is this Taurus the shoots 410 or .45, looks cool, but 410, is that a bit much???? What do you know about this one??? R :draw:

In order...

A 4" .357 Magnum is a good starting revolver, perfect for home defense and not much of a compromise on the target range... if you're a hunter or competetive shooter then a 6" barrel would be better.

Smith and Wesson "K" frame (several different models, try wikipedia to get a taste for them, I have a Model 4" 19-3 with target hammer and trigger... very smooth and very accurate); Ruger Security Six or Ruger GP100 (built like a tank, I have 4" Police Service Six, same thing but without adjustable sights).

What about the Taurus? Is .410 a bit much? They seem popular... I just don't get it... The 410 would never be my choice for self defense... people who say a 410 slug is the same punch as a .41 Magnum haven't looked at the numbers... it's nowhere close to a .41 Magnum.

.45 Colt for self defense? YES, it's equivalent to a .45 ACP, but there are more packable guns than the Taurus out there from Smith ("Mountain Gun", Model 25 I think) and Ruger in .45 Colt... I have a 4" Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt. When I say "packable" I mean in a OWB holster... a .45 Colt is a "big" gun for IWB... here it is compared to the Ruger Service Six...

familyphoto.jpg

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    a medium framed .357 mag 4" bbl is likely the most versatile handgun anyone could own. for just plinking, i'd go with a decent quality .22. the single six with the extra cylinder is interesting.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Ok, I want to expand my gun collection; I want to add a revolver to the mix…. (I watched those damn Bob Munden videos on youtube go figure, that’s what started this..…lol) I do not have one and have never owned one so I am asking the experts (you guys) what do you think would be a good starting revolver????? I am looking in a handgun book and there is this Taurus the shoots 410 or .45, looks cool, but 410, is that a bit much???? What do you know about this one??? R :draw:

I just sold a Judge to a customer who wanted protection from car jacking
    and this would probably serve the purpose but I do not see it for anything but PP and it is too large for a CC gun.

I have a Ruger Single-Six in 22LR and 22Mag and it is a wonderful gun
    to shoot. If you want it for target shooting or plunking cans and small animals go with the Single-Six or a similar model. For PP I would go with a .357 mag as suggested by other members and there are a lot of different models to choose from. I have a Rossi Mod 877 with a 2" barrel and a Ruger Service Six, both in .357 and they are great guns. :draw:Good luck.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If you want to plink, I would strongly suggest the Ruger Single Six, with the xtra magnum cylinder. I have been a 22 revolver fan since my 1st one 38 years ago. And by far the S-6 is my pick. You CAN'T wear them out. For "point and shoot' accuacy the ballance and pointability is superior. I have shot running rabbitts and other moving targets with them. The 22mag has better ballistics than a 38 special. I like to shoot hedgeapples to watch them explode.. So it can double as a defense weapon with recoil that even ladies and children can manage easily. Plus, you don't go through the ammo like you do with an auto. Slower rate of fire and longer reloading time equals more deliberate aiming, and less spraying and praying. A 50 round box will last 3 times longer in a S-6 than an auto. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Oh, don't be tempted to buy a Heritage, They're NOT nearly the gun the Ruger is.
    I hope this helps.
    I'm with this guy, even though I've had mine for only 21 years.

Once you decide you like revolvers and want to move up, take a look at the Ruger GP100.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Been a wheel gun man all my life. Not much on the single action style, but only becuse they don't fit my hand very well. My advise is simple. Big $...any of the older Colts. Smooth action and holds value well. Medium $...J or K frame S&W. Shot them for years with no problems. A bit les $...Ruger Security Six or Speed Six. Also great guns. Newer versions are the GP100 and SP101. Both will give you the best bang for the buck. (sorry).

Caliber? Start with a .22. Cheap ammo and you can hone your skills without worrying about recoil. Once you're comfortable, start looking for a .357 (you know that you're not gonna stop at 1 revolver as well as we do). Good versitle round and you can use .38s to start to get familar with the larger calibers. Excellent SD round as well. When you're ready for the big leagues, .44 mag S&W 629 in stainless. The real deal. Serious gun for serious shooters or as the kids would say, "Da bomb".

BTW, I carry a Ruger SP 101. Simple, effective, and to the point.

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    My first handgun ever was a Ruger Single Six (and that was only 3 years ago, I'm no old fart) and i LOVE it. It shoots better than me and its just plain fun. I love ringing my gong six times in a row! Consider it and all single actions carfully becuase is is slow to unload and slower to load. A good .357 might fit an experience shooter better. I got a bad example of a Ruger GP100. I know it's a good gun, i just got a bad one. I'm thinking of trading it for a Smith and Wesson.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    First revolver I ever shot was an older S&W 486. A good solid .357/.38, and very comfy to shoot. I like BigCraig's idea of the cowboy set, too. Particularly if you can get the wheel gun and rifle in the same caliber. I've never put any round through a .22 revolver, grew up shooting a browning buckmark, but I imagine those are good fun. Buds has a couple real nice ones in stock. I'm still gonna go with the 4" .357/.38, though. Sure, it's a big tougher on the wallet to shoot, but it can serve as a carry gun as well.

Top Bottom