• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I went shooting last week with some relatives and one of them took up the task of putting 100 rounds through my Mosin Nagant. When we were done we noticed this nice crack.

I would really like a few opinions on whether this is repairable or not before I do anything with it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There have been a lot of guys put their Mosin Nagant rifles in aftermarket stocks. I'll bet someone has one for sale, as a matter of fact, I am pretty sure there is a take off stock in the rack at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If it crack there it's going to crack again. If not there it will elsewhere JMHO. I would not bother. Fixing a crack in or near a high stress area is not worth it. The chance of hurting your self or someone else is to great. Put a add in the WTB section. Someone might even give you one!

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    As cheap as replacement stocks are, just get one off ebay. You'll spend less money and you wont have to worry about further problems.

I've repaired a lot of stocks...some repair better than others. My opinion, replace.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Looks like it's in the finger groove area, extending past the recoil lug. What model and year is this? I have a '42 91/30 that is becoming a sporter that I can let the stock go on.

In one of my aero design classes, the prof told us about this experimental plane that had a bad habit of losing wings in flight. They tracked it down to a crack forming where the wings met the body. To prevent crack propagation, they drilled a series of holes along the projected path. The crack forms, meets a hole, and can't continue as the hole's much larger radius isn't a stress riser anymore. If you wanted to save this stock, you could take it to a pro, or DIY by drilling a small hole at the leading edge of the crack, glue and pin the rest, and fill in the holes. As long as the recoil lug supporting area is intact, it's just cosmetic.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I agree. Nothing difficult, nor dangerous. If you're up to the labor of doing it right, there's no apparent reason why it shouldn't work. I don't dabble in this type of rifle, so a replacement stock may be very inexpensive, but that's a good thing. You get the opportunity to learn, with an inexpensive plan B.
    Jim

Top Bottom