I now have another spring on my garage door!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Unfortunately it's because one snapped. The door has been functioning poorly the last few days with odd stops after a few inches traveled. This morning I could not get it to go up so I detached the motor and told my wife to just lift it when she wants to leave. Oops. I didn't think to look at the spring. Garage doors are heavy without the spring! Company is coming Wednesday to fix, and yes the door is locked :)

05DA0619-2C6C-47CE-81C2-083BCEFA224B-922-000000B8C3116CC3_zpsd22e8f2f.jpg

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Had one let go last summer. Happened to be home when it happened, sounded like someone drove a car through the garage door. Luckily my truck doesn't fit in my garage and my wife was out so her car didn't get stuck in there.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You have not lived life until you snap both springs @ once.

That happened to me 4 years ago as I was backing out of the garage. Good thing
    I was backing out slowly because it barely missed the rear window on the SUV,
    caught one of the flares, tore off the rear wiper, sheared the window release button
    and creased the lift gate beyond repair.

Not to mention it took out the bottom 2 panels of the old heavy pressed wood door.

Got a new garage door, and AllenM of Diamond Collision replaced the lift gate and fixed
    it up like brand new.

Good thing was it only cost me a Benjamin because it fell under comprehensive damage
    under the home owners. Door and damage to the SUV was over 3500.00.

Thank goodness for insurance.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Odd stops after A few inches traveled and finally not going up at all? I'm glad you got it fixed. Your a true example of hope for us all! :):

My kids leave stuff everywhere that gets in the track and mess up the sensor beams. This really isn't all that unusual.

Do you suspect hummingbirds as the culprits?

No, I didn't have a reason to, until now...

Q: are these like headlights and you should replace both when one goes out? Only another $50. We must have been out as no one heard anything odd. Glad we weren't injured after reading the posts!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My kids leave stuff everywhere that gets in the track and mess up the sensor beams. This really isn't all that unusual.

No, I didn't have a reason to, until now...

Q: are these like headlights and you should replace both when one goes out? Only another $50. We must have been out as no one heard anything odd. Glad we weren't injured after reading the posts!

I wasnt talking doors ;)

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Mine went a few years back. I literally thought someone had just discharged a 12ga in my front yard. Naturally I hit the deck before investigating and finding the spring broken.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The remedy for preventing that broken spring syndrome is a light lube on the spring once a month.

There is a lot of tension between the coils of a spring that's wound tightly. Rust, dust, dirt, any debris at all on the springs just helps the wear process along every time the coils move against each other.

I was recommended to use WD-40 or something similar. Once a month just a light spray across the top of the spring, then actuate the door to distribute the oil.

Worked so far.

Top Bottom