• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    I need everyone's help. I'm new to the whole gun ownership and I don't know a lot if the laws and such. I own one shotgun I baught off a private seller. I recently just went to go buy myself a handgun. When I was going to fill out the paper work there were two questions on there I have some issues with. The first was have I ever been convicted of a felony and two was the thing about being metallurgy incompetent. When I was 17. I was arrested for theft and wasn't trialed as an adult and got probation and also when I was 1717 I had been sent to a hospital for depression and had to stay there for a few days. Under lock down. Since I've been an adult I've never been arrested nor have I had to go to a hospital for any metal issue. Would these effect me on getting to own a gun? Again I've never naught a gun from a store and had to fill out a 473? I don't want to lie and get in some trouble. I'd like to own a gun and really need to know what you guys think. I've contacted a lawyer to see if I can get the junvenial charges dropped but I do know.know if that will work. But if I can't get a firearm do to these problems on my junvenial record does this mean I can't keep my shotgun? I would really appreciate everyone's input. I just really want to get into this hobby. (Again since I've been 18 I've never been to court or arrested) I'm 23 years old now and have a one year old and a wife and we don't live in the greatest place on earth so I'd like to get something to carry since.I can't take my mossberg everywhere. I'm wanting a glock 23. I've shot them before and like the way it fits my hand. Thanks for everyone's time!

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    from second hand knowledge (a coworker went thru this a few years ago) and he had no problem. ha was a minor and it was all part of his minor record and when he turned 21 he bought his first handgun and filled it out as it asked for his adult record not his juvy record. not saying all things happen the same.

and welcome to INGO...let us know how it goes.

don't live in the greatest place on earth
    does indiana law and atf rules apply in illinois:laugh:

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    apply for a ccw that will tell a bit then go to wally world apply for one and see if you get denied

lol, wut? :D

This thread is full of huh?

As for the OP, can't really say for sure... I had a similar "friend" thing, he passed the check, but it was about a decade from the time he had his under 18 ruckuss, so can't honestly say one way or another with you being relatively close the to the time of your arrest (i.e. arrested at 17, now 23 type of thing).

I will say one thing: I tried to take a swing at myself with a Mossberg when drunk and depressed (yeay borderline personality crap), did the 72 hours thing in the insane wing, and was released. Check your paperwork: If it says "voluntary admission", you generally are okay. A judge has to actually say you are mentally incompetant before you are denied. I don't drink anymore (8 months clean, woot!) and can still buy a firearm.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hard to say about your being arrested when you were 17. I would follow the advice of your lawyer.

I would not think that seeking help for depression would declare you mentally incompetent.

As far as purchasing a firearm to carry with you. Not only will you need the handgun but also a License to Carry or LTCH. So the question is two fold.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    ya im posting this froma cell phone, so im sorry if things get a little confusing. ive not got my permit to carry yet. thanks for all the replies. i didnt expect to hear back from anyone so soon.

trip007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I think you should focus on your wife and child and put your interest in firearms on the back burner.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think you should focus on your wife and child and put your interest in firearms on the back burner.

He pretty much stated he wanted to carry BECAUSE OF his wife and child.. you know, self defense, defense of others, all that important stuff? :dunno:

:n00b:

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    For a LTC you answer some of the same questions. Sometimes you just need a letter from whomever treated you for depression giving you a recommendation that you would be safe to have the permit. I have no idea about the arrest part.

Salvation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Hamilton Co
    I had a juvy record and even a minor arrest as an adult. It didnt keep me from purchasing a firearm or getting my LTCH. As long as it wasnt a major crime (ie Felony) than you SHOULD be OK.

Kev

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012

theres nothing wrong with having an interest in owning a firearm thats why we are all here. im sure im not the only one on here with a wife and child.

Top Bottom