• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madgenius85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2014
    terre haute
    I did buy the imr sr4756. I have berrys 124grain plated bullets. The data ive found list 125 fmj. So is there much difference between a 124 and 125 grain bullet and fmj and plated?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If the projectile profile is the same, you'll need to pay more attention to the jacketing vs plated difference than the 1 grain projectile weight difference. Plated bullets are usually loaded with cast lead load data instead of jacketed data.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Screenshot_2014-04-19-14-42-09_zps7cccfe5c.png

Last edited:

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    I did buy the imr sr4756. I have berrys 124grain plated bullets. The data ive found list 125 fmj. So is there much difference between a 124 and 125 grain bullet and fmj and plated?

According to the Hodgdon site, 4.9 to 5.4 grains. Always check their site for load data when using their powders (Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester).

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    that's not a very wide spread from min to max.
    I don't like powders like that, but we don't exactly have our pick of powders right now.

I'd probably load some in the lower range, test'm out, and go from there.

I believe Berry's website says to use jacketed data, but double check to make sure.

madgenius85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2014
    terre haute
    I was thinking the same thing. I figured id start lower than that and work up a little. Ive seen data for 147 lead nose starting at 3.5. So 4.9 for 124 plated seems weird.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I was thinking the same thing. I figured id start lower than that and work up a little. Ive seen data for 147 lead nose starting at 3.5. So 4.9 for 124 plated seems weird.

Don't take this personally, but this post illustrates two point of reloading ignorance that need to be addressed.

Some powders are only suitable for a given cartridge/bullet combination with a narrow range of charge weights. Do not "figure" you know better and use a starting charge weight that is lower than the manual lists. The specified range was from 4.9 to 5.4 grains. If you cannot be that precise in charging your 9mm cases, you probably should not be reloading.

You mention seeing data for a heavier bullet that starts with less powder and that is "seems" weird to you. Heavier bullets are longer. Longer bullets have to be seated deeper into the case. This leaves less room in the case for powder. Hence, heavier bullets OFTEN have a lower charge weight than lighter bullets. There is nothing at all weird about that!

Until you have done a lot of reloading and really understand what is going on, do not second-guess published load data. Do not attempt to apply logic or reason to the process, just stick to the SCIENCE of reloading. If you have specific questions, ask someone or read up on it. There is very little grey area in reloading, so if you don't KNOW something, don't attempt to reach any conclusions about it. That's how guys get themselves in trouble.

:twocents:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Don't take this personally, but this post illustrates two point of reloading ignorance that need to be addressed.

Some powders are only suitable for a given cartridge/bullet combination with a narrow range of charge weights. Do not "figure" you know better and use a starting charge weight that is lower than the manual lists. The specified range was from 4.9 to 5.4 grains. If you cannot be that precise in charging your 9mm cases, you probably should not be reloading.

You mention seeing data for a heavier bullet that starts with less powder and that is "seems" weird to you. Heavier bullets are longer. Longer bullets have to be seated deeper into the case. This leaves less room in the case for powder. Hence, heavier bullets OFTEN have a lower charge weight than lighter bullets. There is nothing at all weird about that!

Until you have done a lot of reloading and really understand what is going on, do not second-guess published load data. Do not attempt to apply logic or reason to the process, just stick to the SCIENCE of reloading. If you have specific questions, ask someone or read up on it. There is very little grey area in reloading, so if you don't KNOW something, don't attempt to reach any conclusions about it. That's how guys get themselves in trouble.

:twocents:

Excellent advice Sir,

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    May I add one more little bit of caution. Check SEVERAL sources of published data. Compare them. You'll often see a trend toward a certain range of powder charges, with the occasional odd load that steps away from that trend. To me, those are suspect loadings, published or no. Start with something that falls easily into the common consensus, not one of the odd balls. On the heavier bullet lighter charge thing. If you see a loading for heavier bullet/ heavier charge, do even more research on that one. Not always, but quite likely it's in error or contains some component that you may not grasp.
    Luck,
    Jim

Top Bottom