• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    I have been recently diagnosed with cancer and don't have a formal will or anything. I have a "few" guns that are all pretty basic, nothing really valuable and my son (he's 22) has said that he would like them if something happens to me. My wife wants the ones that she currently shoots/carries. Is there something I need to do to make sure nothing happens to them ? Will a simple will cover it ? I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, admin feel free to move it wherever it needs to go. Thank you for your time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been recently diagnosed with cancer and don't have a formal will or anything. I have a "few" guns that are all pretty basic, nothing really valuable and my son (he's 22) has said that he would like them if something happens to me. My wife wants the ones that she currently shoots/carries. Is there something I need to do to make sure nothing happens to them ? Will a simple will cover it ? I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, admin feel free to move it wherever it needs to go. Thank you for your time.
    1st......I am sorry to hear this. I am a Cancer survivor so I have an understanding.
    May I ask....are you diagnosed terminal....???
    I was and by the grace of God I am still here.
    If you pass your wishes along to your wife will she see to them for you..???

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I'm not a lawyer, but one of my college Econ classes I took covered some of the living will stuff.

It could be simply:
    Write it down on a piece of paper stating which one goes to whom, make copies of it, get all the copies notarized at any bank, give copies to both your son and wife.

It doesn't cost you anything.

Indiana-Notary-Acknowledgment-Form.png

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Guns are simple write down who gets what and tell them, trust your wife to follow your wishes.

More important, you are fighting an enemy that means to kill you. This fight is far from just physical it’s very much a mental and spiritual. keep your head in the fight, don’t get discouraged.
    I had it twice in 18-19, took every prayer that was offered, celebrating every victory no matter how small. Asked the doctor if I could have the tumor on my kidney so I could burn it myself, he laughed said He couldn’t. But I like your enthusiasm, I’ll make sure it goes up in flames.

Be praying for you brother, you are not alone.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First, THIS. Anything already gone isnt subject to probate. (generally) Just make sure he promises to give them back if the doc is wrong. LOL
    Why not give your son the weapons he wants now? This is assuming your wife is good with you doing this.
    Second, I'll add you to my prayer list. Its not over till you are declared dead. Fight it with all your might. Doctors are wrong quite often. Use the mouse as an example/goal/source of encouragement.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Best wishes and live through this, my friend!

No offense to those advising various forms of paperwork above. I wouldn't do any of that.

I would give the firearms to those who want them right now. I believe you are totally legal to gift firearms to any proper person, no paperwork necessary. As a matter of fact, your loved one's might thank you later for not creating unnecessary paperwork on the "sale." :twocents:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I hope you get great care and are able to beat it.

That said, I'd draw up a will, and I'd also make sure all beneficiaries are up to date on any accounts, life insurance, etc that allows a beneficiary (or possibly more than one) to be named. Would not be a bad idea to make sure accounts are joint accounts with someone you trust completely.

Name someone you trust completely as the executor.

I agree with giving some of the items now if appropriate, but a will is a good thing to have as it should streamline things that do not already have a beneficiary on the account. As I understand (I'm sure someone will correct if appropriate, those accounts that have named beneficiaries should be exempted from the probate aspect). A will also of course speeds the process for those items that do not have a beneficiary attached to them (like physical belongings, etc).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And dont forget a living will/healthcare directive, and durable power of attorney. Those can be had cheap at places like legalzoom. Make sure your wishes such as a do not resuscitate orders are in black and white. The last thing you need when you are incapacitated is your family himming and hawing about what they think you would want. (and getting it wrong)

The last thing I would want would be to be unable to communicate and have my loved ones thinking they know what is best for me when their choices are counter to my wishes. Speak up now on paper while you still can.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Sorry to hear about your condition. I agree with giving them away now. It will be much simpler and you will have the joy of gifting.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to hear about your condition. I agree with giving them away now. It will be much simpler and you will have the joy of gifting. I think this advice would pertain to other assets as well.
    In truth if this is his end game then as many assets as legally (does it not suck to have to say this....Legally :() can be so as not to disrupt any estate issues later on.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, thoughts inbound.
    I was diagnosed May 2019 with a pretty bad prognosis, but I'm still fighting.

I simply went through and labeled who i wanted to get what, and put roundabout prices on the others so the wife would have an idea.

Stay Strong

Last edited:

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    1st......I am sorry to hear this. I am a Cancer survivor so I have an understanding.
    May I ask....are you diagnosed terminal....???
    I was and by the grace of God I am still here.
    If you pass your wishes along to your wife will she see to them for you..???
    Just diagnosed stage 4 12/17. On 3rd chemo treatment now and they will have me do another ct scan later to see what's happening with the tumors. It's just a wait and see game as of now. Nice to know there are survivors !

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    First, THIS. Anything already gone isnt subject to probate. (generally) Just make sure he promises to give them back if the doc is wrong. LOL

Second, I'll add you to my prayer list. Its not over till you are declared dead. Fight it with all your might. Doctors are wrong quite often. Use the mouse as an example/goal/source of encouragement.
    Thank you for the prayers, I could use them.

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    Guns are simple write down who gets what and tell them, trust your wife to follow your wishes.

More important, you are fighting an enemy that means to kill you. This fight is far from just physical it’s very much a mental and spiritual. keep your head in the fight, don’t get discouraged.
    I had it twice in 18-19, took every prayer that was offered, celebrating every victory no matter how small. Asked the doctor if I could have the tumor on my kidney so I could burn it myself, he laughed said He couldn’t. But I like your enthusiasm, I’ll make sure it goes up in flames.

Be praying for you brother, you are not alone.
    First of all thank you for the prayers. My wife and I have discussed this already and she's fine with it, I trust her. You are correct on fighting a 3 headed beast, it gets tough sometimes. Just got to power through it.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I see my Doc at the end of the month for my 3 year free check-up. Do and follow what the doc tells you to do.

When I was told I took 3 months for treatments them gave my son the guns I knew I would not be shooting again. I then made a bill of sale for the guns I wanted him to have when I died, marked it sold and signed and dated when I did it. Without saying anything to him or wife I put the Bill of Sale recipes in an envolope with his name on it and put in the safe. That way there is no question about the guns. I did tell the two of them I left an envelope in the safe for each, also told the girls there is an envelope in the safe for them. The girls also get some guns they wanted.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Smokestack, check out this forum if you have not already. It is for patients and their families going through cancer treatment. A wealth of information, and the forums are specific to your type of cancer.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    First hand knowledge.

But first, my prayers for a positive outcome with your cancer.

Now, Indiana is set up that when a spouse passes, the surviving spouse gets everything, no questions asked. How do I know? A while back I lost my wife to cancer, and everything automatically passed over to me. There were no papers needed and no questions asked when it came to what we owned.

I would suggest that you give what you want to your son and your wife while you are still with them so that you can see what ever joy they get from the items, but pray that your outcome is better than my wife's.

Top Bottom