• ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a Remington 700 long action that I’m re barreling with a “remage” style barrel (Savage style barrel and nut system with Remington 700 threads). The old barrel is off and everything is cleaned up. Bolt is disassembled. The new barrel starts to thread into the receiver normal and easy but about half way down it hits a sudden hard stop before reaching the head space gauge. The threads on the new barrel look perfect. The threads on the receiver have no visible obvious problems but also look like a product of mass production and aren’t perfect. I suspect the new barrel being precision cut to exacting tolerances is not happy with the mass produced threads on my receiver. Is there a tool I can get or rent to just chase the threads on the receiver? Or a gun smith that would do it for a reasonable price? I’m not really wanting to go to the expense of truing or blueprinting the action. I appreciate all the advice and wisdom y’all have. Thanks.

Last edited:

Firehawk

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    C639C1EF-453C-4020-A433-A209FBB85212.jpeg

I read various other forums and guys were using quality taps 1 1/16” x 16 tpi to chase the threads and clean out the factory glue and remove tight spots. Brownell’s tap is $100. I found this used one on Ebay for $40. I’m thinking about trying it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 191955

I read various other forums and guys were using quality taps 1 1/16” x 16 tpi to chase the threads and clean out the factory glue and remove tight spots. Brownell’s tap is $100. I found this used one on Ebay for $40. I’m thinking about trying it.
    It would have to be a bottoming tap.
    I assume the description of 4 straight flutes is that same thing.
    Make sure you use a lite oil. Clean it up with air.

Firehawk

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    It would have to be a bottoming tap.
    I assume the description of 4 straight flutes is that same thing.
    Make sure you use a lite oil. Clean it up with air.
    D4258F98-9E4C-4FCE-B630-259EEA69DED2.jpeg
    They call it a “plug tap” but it appears to be a very similar profile as bottoming taps I’ve used on other things.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A plug tap has some lead ground in to it, generally first 2½ threads, a bottoming tap has no lead ground into it. I could spend hours discussing threads, thread limits, thread fits, ect.
    Take it to a 'smith ask them to chase the threads.

However here is a an old tool maker trick, lube the threads, assemble until threads stop turning, place muzzle down again a block of wood, place another block of wood again the end of the receiver, and give it a sharp blow with a hammer against the wooden block. The threads will loosen up, and screw together. Do this at your own risk.

Aaron

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have a Remington 700 long action that I’m re barreling with a “remage” style barrel (Savage style barrel and nut system with Remington 700 threads). The old barrel is off and everything is cleaned up. Bolt is disassembled. The new barrel starts to thread into the receiver normal and easy but about half way down it hits a sudden hard stop before reaching the head space gauge. The threads on the new barrel look perfect. The threads on the receiver have no visible obvious problems but also look like a product of mass production and aren’t perfect. I suspect the new barrel being precision cut to exacting tolerances is not happy with the mass produced threads on my receiver. Is there a tool I can get or rent to just chase the threads on the receiver? Or a gun smith that would do it for a reasonable price? I’m not really wanting to go to the expense of truing or blueprinting the action. I appreciate all the advice and wisdom y’all have. Thanks.
    Please keep us updated on your resolution to this problem. It'll be good info for future reference.

Firehawk

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Please keep us updated on your resolution to this problem. It'll be good info for future reference.
    I got the tap in already and used it on the receiver threads with success. This is not for everyone though. If you don’t know the feel for when a tap is or isn’t starting into the threads right and cutting right, things can go wrong really quick. The receiver threads were just off (too small?) enough that the plug tap was difficult to get started straight and get chasing the threads and not recutting them. I’m not sure I could have got a bottoming tap started into the threads as tight as the threads were. It probably would have been proper for me to run a bottoming tap through after the plug tap, but I didn’t need to. The plug tap chased the threads far enough for me to thread the barrel in by hand to the head space gauge and set the head space. The tap took out a very small amount of metal, which surprised me since the tap seemed tight from the start. After I removed the tap, I blew the receiver out with compressed air and applied a thin coat of oil to the barrel threads before screwing it in. I still have more work to do to this rifle. I still have to reshape the barrel channel in the stock for the new barrel. Cerakote the receiver and new barrel. Find a muzzle break I like and install it. And I might install a tactical style bolt knob. I’ll take some pics when I get it all done. Thanks everyone for the help.

Top Bottom