I need help.. I keep buying Beretta pistols..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No thank you. I heard guns violent.
    You will join the rest of us soon, you will be claiming that anything that isn’t a metal frame made in Italy gun isn’t a real Beretta. Just before grabbing your $3000 silver pigeon shotgun and going bird hunting.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    You will join the rest of us soon, you will be claiming that anything that isn’t a metal frame made in Italy gun isn’t a real Beretta. Just before grabbing your $3000 silver pigeon shotgun and going bird hunting.

Welcome to INGO

IMG_0600.PNG

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I shot the 87 on a few occasions if memory serves and it was not impressive. The biggest memory is just how unhappy you were with it every time you shot it!
    I did have expectations since that was the most expensive .22LR I'd bought at the time. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I would pass on that 87 target, particularly since that one has the RTFM warning roll marks on it. It is a later one. Even for an 87 Target. But by the time the railed 87 Target came out, they cheapened it up.

I would hold out for a Beretta 89, those will run circles around everything else.

That or one of the older Beretta 76. Some of those came in surplus in the 200 to 300 range.
    Beretta 89 now on radar, haha!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I picked up a Beretta PX4 "G" model in 9mm a few weeks back. I'd been wanting to try one for a while, and the LGS had one for $400, so I traded a couple of P250s for it (and had some credit left over for some .303 ammo) and brought it home. It's a "full-size", but not much bigger than my 92X Compact and carries just as well. It's almost the same size at my P320 carry, and quite a bit smaller than the full-size verson of the Sig.

52843333662_b6a5d0f1ea_o.jpg

52863256051_780230d219_o.jpg

I've been spending quite a bit of time with it at the range, and I'm struggling with it a bit. Out of the box the reset was hard to deal with, so I installed an LTT trigger bar. The reset is better now, but the trigger still has some weird takeup to it, and I end up pushing shots low. In dry practice I'm finding that my presentation out of the holster is off with it as well. I swapped out the backstraps to the large one and that seemed to help dry...I need to get it back out to the range. It's quite accurate in slow-fire...I just need to get it optimized to fit my "muscle memory" that is built on a P320 with a large grip module.

25 yards, standing unsupported slow fire. It's plenty accurate if the shooter can avoid doing stupid stuff (hence the 2 shots low):
    52871521290_23d1f73db8_o.jpg

As to the gun itself, I like it. It's comfortable to carry, the controls are very positive, and I think it's kind of cool to have a polymer DA/SA option in the collection. IMO, the rotating barrel doesn't do much for the percieved recoil...it may be a tad flatter than my P320s, but there isn't really any perceptible difference in the impulse. The grips are actually grippier than they look...while the sides are pretty smooth, the texture on the front and backstraps is well designed to bite into the skin and keep the gun from shifting in your hand, while at the same time not grabbing onto a cover garment all the time (which is an unfortunate characteristic of the otherwise awesome stipled grip panels on the 92X Compact). Were I shooting it comeptitively, I might consider adding some grip tape or something to the sides, but for carry it's well-designed as-is.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    As to the gun itself, I like it. It's comfortable to carry, the controls are very positive, and I think it's kind of cool to have a polymer DA/SA option in the collection. IMO, the rotating barrel doesn't do much for the percieved recoil...it may be a tad flatter than my P320s, but there isn't really any perceptible difference in the impulse. The grips are actually grippier than they look...while the sides are pretty smooth, the texture on the front and backstraps is well designed to bite into the skin and keep the gun from shifting in your hand, while at the same time not grabbing onto a cover garment all the time (which is an unfortunate characteristic of the otherwise awesome stipled grip panels on the 92X Compact). Were I shooting it comeptitively, I might consider adding some grip tape or something to the sides, but for carry it's well-designed as-is.

I really need to get a 45 acp Cougar, the 8000 series is the PX4 in metal, uses the same rotating barrel setup. They may even share mags.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I really need to get a 45 acp Cougar, the 8000 series is the PX4 in metal, uses the same rotating barrel setup. They may even share mags.
    I've played with a mini-cougar before. A buddy has one in .40. It worked fine, but it's very top-heavy and thick. Even the "mini" version was about the same bulk and weight as my P229 (just slightly shorter in the grip). Cool guns, but the PX4 is a practical improvement over the Cougar line, IMO.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    All these Cougar posts are making me want to find a full size Beretta made 8000 F in 9mm. I've had the 40 and 45 full size before but I've never tried it in 9mm.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    All these Cougar posts are making me want to find a full size Beretta made 8000 F in 9mm. I've had the 40 and 45 full size before but I've never tried it in 9mm.
    I don't know if I have ever seen a 8000 cougar in 9mm. There are certainly not even any on gunbroker. They may be rarer then the 40 and 45 cougars. (none on gunbroker now even)

The Beretta 9000s is another rare oddball I don't see much, basically a really compact 92 in polymer. Supposedly they will accept 92 mags but they stick WAY out.

1688062983665.png

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I don't know if I have ever seen a 8000 cougar in 9mm. There are certainly not even any on gunbroker. They may be rarer then the 40 and 45 cougars. (none on gunbroker now even)

The Beretta 9000s is another rare oddball I don't see much, basically a really compact 92 in polymer. Supposedly they will accept 92 mags but they stick WAY out.
    I used to see full size 9mm Beretta made Cougars at local gunshows and at the 1500 back in the mid 00's to 2010's. Not so much anymore.

The Beretta 9000 I always remember it for being Tom Cruise's gun in Minority Report. lol

The factory flush magazine floorplate is neat on it as the plate comes downward at will to act as a pinky extension or the one i played with in a shop awhile back could anyway.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    There are 8000 series in 9mm, but you don’t see them as often because people tend to keep them now that .40S&W has waned in popularity. That, and if memory serves (don’t quote me here) more of the 8040s were made because they were made during the .40’s heyday.

As for the 9000S, I’ve always wanted one if for no other reason than they’re a bit of an oddball. Like BigMoose said, they’re kind of a slimmed down 92 series in polymer, but they never really caught on. You rarely see them pop up, and apparently parts for them are almost impossible to get. That’s kept me from picking one up, but maybe some day…

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There are 8000 series in 9mm, but you don’t see them as often because people tend to keep them now that .40S&W has waned in popularity. That, and if memory serves (don’t quote me here) more of the 8040s were made because they were made during the .40’s heyday.

As for the 9000S, I’ve always wanted one if for no other reason than they’re a bit of an oddball. Like BigMoose said, they’re kind of a slimmed down 92 series in polymer, but they never really caught on. You rarely see them pop up, and apparently parts for them are almost impossible to get. That’s kept me from picking one up, but maybe some day…
    1688129417991.png

9000S in 40S&W $399.95
    2004 date code

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Instead of searching Beretta Cougar, search Stoeger Cougar. Beretta moved their machines to their Stoeger factory in Turkey. Same pistol with different markings.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The Beretta .22 target pistols with the slab sides remind me of the High Standard Models 107 “Military Target” pistols from the 1970’s. All are great target pistols.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Instead of searching Beretta Cougar, search Stoeger Cougar. Beretta moved their machines to their Stoeger factory in Turkey. Same pistol with different markings.
    Yes I've read that to be the case, but I would much rather have a Beretta made Cougar to pair with my Beretta made 92FS.

I'm sure the Stoeger is a nicely built gun though given what I have seen with Turkey's MP5 and USGI 1911A1 clones.

Top Bottom