I need help.. I keep buying Beretta pistols..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I paid $800 for one at a gun shop 3+/- ago!
    I had waited 3 yrs to find one locally.
    It is one I wish I'd kept, but it wasn't impressively accurate enough & I had 2-3 others that shot as well.
    The best profile: the previous owner had barely put any rounds through it.

I bought walnut grips for it!
    1687975504403.png
    1687975538060.png

Beretta 87 top left at 30" beating the SW 41 top right on this day:
    1687975764630.png

Beretta 87 at 45' & 30'
    1687975852332.png

Attachments

• 1687975702966.png
      1687975702966.png
      2.6 MB · Views: 1

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I paid $800 for one at a gun shop 3+/- ago!
    I had waited 3 yrs to find one locally.
    It is one I wish I'd kept, but it wasn't impressively accurate enough & I had 2-3 others that shot as well.
    The best profile: the previous owner had barely put any rounds through it.

I bought walnut grips for it!
    View attachment 283814
    View attachment 283815

Beretta 87 top left at 30" beating the SW 41 top right on this day:
    View attachment 283817

Beretta 87 at 45' & 30'
    View attachment 283820
    It was purty but no more accurate than the lowest entry level target pistols. Definitely not a value unless you specifically like to collect berettas

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was purty but no more accurate than the lowest entry level target pistols. Definitely not a value unless you specifically like to collect berettas
    Ridiculous! :stickpoke:
    Really! "lowest entry level target pistols," is a nebulous statement. :scratch:
    I've had all the lowest level .22LR & quite a few claiming to be target pistols, which is a joke mostly, like "match" barrel means little to nothing. :coffee:
    The Beretta 87 beat all stock Rugers, Smith Victory, SR22, Shield Compact 22 & I could go on and on, but those are mere plinkers, despite some claiming more.

Perhaps in your hands & with your eyes, but not been my experience that "lowest entry level target pistols" are the only guns the 87 can beat.
    In my hands, the 87 could get 100% on a row of the 1.75" circles & few can, except for true target guns.
    The SW 41 could do 100% on an entire page of 10 circles.
    Beretta 87 only did that on 5 circles, but perhaps on a good day could have done all 10 circles.
    On any given day it was questionable which would do better between the 87, Smith 41 & an upgraded Ruger 3 & perhaps another.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Ridiculous! :stickpoke:
    Really! "lowest entry level target pistols," is a nebulous statement. :scratch:
    I've had all the lowest level .22LR & quite a few claiming to be target pistols, which is a joke mostly, like "match" barrel means little to nothing. :coffee:
    The Beretta 87 beat all stock Rugers, Smith Victory, SR22, Shield Compact 22 & I could go on and on, but those are mere plinkers, despite some claiming more.

Perhaps in your hands & with your eyes, but not been my experience that "lowest entry level target pistols" are the only guns the 87 can beat.
    In my hands, the 87 could get 100% on a row of the 1.75" circles & few can, except for true target guns.
    The SW 41 could do 100% on an entire page of 10 circles.
    Beretta 87 only did that on 5 circles, but perhaps on a good day could have done all 10 circles.
    On any given day it was questionable which would do better between the 87, Smith 41 & an upgraded Ruger 3 & perhaps another.
    Truth hurts sometimes. LOL. Taking brand feelings and if it’s pretty out of equation it did not function anywhere near its price point.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The absolute peak of Beretta 22 target pistols is the rare 80 Olympic.

Only shoots 22 Shorts, but its insanely accurate. Its also ported in the front.. for shorts, I dunno but I hear they practically don't move on recoil. I am certainly looking for one.

Beretta-80-Olimionica-dx-.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Truth hurts sometimes. LOL. Taking brand feelings and if it’s pretty out of equation it did not function anywhere near its price point.
    I love TRUTH, but that's not what I'm reading. :scratch:
    I'm reading boulderdash. :nono:

I do wholeheartedly agree that the 87 is priced like a target gun, but didn't deliver, which is why I sold 87 since I couldn't keep $$$ tied up in a gun that didn't do any better than what I had.
    Now that I don't use 9mm or 38 special for range practice, only 22LR, I wish I'd kept the 87 & a few others just for fun.
    For a more expensive .22LR, I expect cloverleafs.
    You could be right, its just me.
    Getting rounds in my 1.75" circles is fine for guns I've paid $300 - $400.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    @doddg @zachcz

If memory serves, the 87 Target was slightly dumbed down model from the previous one.. with rails and such, but with maybe not as quality internals. I said it a while back in that other thread, but Beretta isn't what it once was, heck they don't even have a true 22 Target pistol anymore. Just a 92FSR (92 series in 22LR). But the time you started seeing the "Read the Manual" stuff on them.. you could get some duds once in a while (during the 2013 Firearmageddon)

The top of the line model (For 22LR) was the previous one Beretta 89

1687983561851.png

There was also a previous Beretta 87
    1687983651219.png

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Sorry doddg, but I have to agree with him. I've owned two Beretta Md 87s as well as a S&W 41, S&W M&P22c, many others as well as a slew of Browning Buckmark models. The Md 87s were well below the Md 41 Smith and most all of the Buckmarks. They were average but pretty. in my experience.

Of course I am tempted to buy the one above cause I miss the coolness.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sorry doddg, but I have to agree with him. I've owned two Beretta Md 87s as well as a S&W 41, S&W M&P22c, many others as well as a slew of Browning Buckmark models. The Md 87s were well below the Md 41 Smith and most all of the Buckmarks. They were average but pretty. in my experience.

Of course I am tempted to buy the one above cause I miss the coolness.
    My assessment, as well.
    I totally agree with your point & they way you put it: the 87 was no target gun reflecting its price.

The SW 41, HS Victor & Browning Buckmark Silhouette Target are all above the 87 for sure, as well as the Browning Buckmark Plus Vision Black/Gold & Browning Buckmark Pro Target 5.5" I've got.

I just didn't like the way Zack put it: "no more accurate than the lowest entry level target pistols," hahahaha! :lmfao:
    He might be right but he's always taking a shot if I pay more than average for a gun in a splurge. :spend:
    But that is what friends are for, haha! :laugh:
    I was slow to embrace the Taurus & KelTec brands, but with his prodding, I eventually did & he was right.
    I've enjoyed the Taurus TX & the Competition model as well as the KelTec P33.
    Eventually sold the Competition model since I've got others that do better, but no hurry to let go of the KelTec P33.
    Since the 87 had beaten the SW 41 in a fair fight before, I respect it.
    But not $800 worth of respect, haha!
    Not enough for me to keep b/c of the $$$ it tied up.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    My assessment, as well.
    I totally agree with your point & they way you put it: the 87 was no target gun reflecting its price.

The SW 41, HS Victor & Browning Buckmark Silhouette Target are all above the 87 for sure, as well as the Browning Buckmark Plus Vision Black/Gold & Browning Buckmark Pro Target 5.5" I've got.

I just didn't like the way Zack put it: "no more accurate than the lowest entry level target pistols," hahahaha! :lmfao:
    He might be right but he's always taking a shot if I pay more than average for a gun in a splurge. :spend:
    But that is what friends are for, haha! :laugh:
    I was slow to embrace the Taurus & KelTec brands, but with his prodding, I eventually did & he was right.
    I've enjoyed the Taurus TX & the Competition model as well as the KelTec P33.
    Eventually sold the Competition model since I've got others that do better, but no hurry to let go of the KelTec P33.
    Since the 87 had beaten the SW 41 in a fair fight before, I respect it.
    But not $800 worth of respect, haha!
    Not enough for me to keep b/c of the $$$ it tied up.

The mkiii runs circles around that beretta which is as entry level a target gun as there is. I would put up my tx22 against it any day of the week. Twice on Sunday. I am curious though bc I only shot a handful of mags though it if
    I remember right, I hope to God it was more reliable than the sw41 LOL

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The mkiii runs circles around that beretta which is as entry level a target gun as there is. I would put up my tx22 against it any day of the week. Twice on Sunday. I am curious though bc I only shot a handful of mags though it if
    I remember right, I hope to God it was more reliable than the sw41 LOL
    I have had 2 Mark 3s that were upgraded that would do as you say.
    But not stock, just shot one last week.
    The TX 22, I disagree, but your experience shooting is much better than mine & since you not shot the 87, you are not intitled to an opinion on how it shoots, haha! :lmfao:
    The SW 41 does not run as issue-free as the $275 Ruger SR22 I was shooting today, or about any other gun I have, as you say.
    But, I do love the 41!!!

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I have had 2 Mark 3s that were upgraded that would do as you say.
    But not stock, just shot one last week.
    The TX 22, I disagree, but your experience shooting is much better than mine & since you not shot the 87, you are not intitled to an opinion on how it shoots, haha! :lmfao:
    The SW 41 does not run as issue-free as the $275 Ruger SR22 I was shooting today, or about any other gun I have, as you say.
    But, I do love the 41!!!
    I shot the 87 on a few occasions if memory serves and it was not impressive. The biggest memory is just how unhappy you were with it every time you shot it!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I shot the 87 on a few occasions if memory serves and it was not impressive. The biggest memory is just how unhappy you were with it every time you shot it!
    Yeah I would pass on that 87 target, particularly since that one has the RTFM warning roll marks on it. It is a later one. Even for an 87 Target. But by the time the railed 87 Target came out, they cheapened it up.

I would hold out for a Beretta 89, those will run circles around everything else.

That or one of the older Beretta 76. Some of those came in surplus in the 200 to 300 range.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

I do wholeheartedly agree that the 87 is priced like a target gun, but didn't deliver, which is why I sold 87 since I couldn't keep $$$ tied up in a gun that didn't do any better than what I had.
    Now that I don't use 9mm or 38 special for range practice, only 22LR, I wish I'd kept the 87 & a few others just for fun.
    For a more expensive .22LR, I expect cloverleafs.
    You could be right, its just me.
    Getting rounds in my 1.75" circles is fine for guns I've paid $300 - $400.
    Best to test is a Ransom Rest

I personally dislike Smith 41s. And I shoot them decent. But prefer High Standard. They fit me better

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    And not just the small ones, the big ones too, and odd ones.

Anyone else have the Beretta obsession?

I do need help, I bought a polartec fleece to go with all the Beretta Pistols I have ordered.

In just couple of months. I have purchased.

New in box 92FS, Made in Italy, 2017
    3032 Tomcat
    951 with the 1975/1976 only Alloy (M1951)
    21A Bobcat Two Tone (Gun store had it listed as an INOX)
    85BB Cheetah.
    92F Compact

Send help!

View attachment 254281

I am not trying to be an *******, but if you are looking here for folks to keep you from buying Berettas then you are in the wrong place.

Now, before I go so far as to call you "foolish" I am going to consider that you might be telling your better half that you are talking to a support group about your "addiction"....in which case you are a ******* genius!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a Kart conversion on a Colt frame.
    A serious target rig from days gone by.
    Had a Ransom Rest too.

My eyes, brain and hands don't warrant such tooling these days. I dont shoot as well as I used to and require an optic.

Now everything is a joke.

At least that Beretta allows easy optic.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am not trying to be an *******, but if you are looking here for folks to keep you from buying Berettas then you are in the wrong place.

Now, before I go so far as to call you "foolish" I am going to consider that you might be telling your better half that you are talking to a support group about your "addiction"....in which case you are a ******* genius!
    Nah I post the good deals I find here so people can buy them before I cave in and buy them myself.

Top Bottom