• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It has been almost a year since I took some time off, and the last 6 months have been very wearing. I am trying work in about a week in mid July for a short R&R. It will be just me, and ideally it would be one day of travel on each end with three days of relaxing in the middle.

In the past Gulf Shores was my go to but this time of year hotels on the beach are around $400/night. I want to settle somewhere that has some interesting things to look at or do, good food, and maybe a view. I don't want to hike or kayak, I just want to relax, not think about work, and read a book or two. Driving is preferred since any cheap flight will entail driving to Indy or Louisville.

Similar past trips that I have enjoyed, outside of the beach, include Ashville, NC, New Orleans, Madison, Wi.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I just went to Savannah, GA recently. Lots of history, cool architecture, and a short drive to the beach if you’re inclined. Also has lots of big town squares/parks to sit and read a book.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Wife and I went up to Michigan recently. ( Benton harbor area ) Only a few hours drive, only about 30 bucks a nite for tent camping. And only about 10 bucks a day or less for all the beach walking you could ask for. Had a great time, didn’t spend much, but got that good R&R feeling. Looking forward to going back. Well worth it.
    IMG_6632.jpeg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Savannah and Charleston, SC are two cities that have long been on my list. I'd like to do both over a couple weeks. But a quick get-to-know-you trip to one might be good. Just under a 10 hour drive or a $600, 5 hour flight with layover in Atlanta.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    We originally had a family vacation in July scheduled for Gulf Shores, AL. Plans changed and this vacation is now in Pigeon Forge, TN.

I’ve never been to either place so I would be interested to hear what’s to do in Pigeon Forge.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Savannah and Charleston, SC are two cities that have long been on my list. I'd like to do both over a couple weeks. But a quick get-to-know-you trip to one might be good. Just under a 10 hour drive or a $600, 5 hour flight with layover in Atlanta.
    Savanna has an awesome, St Paddy's Day Party.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    We originally had a family vacation in July scheduled for Gulf Shores, AL. Plans changed and this vacation is now in Pigeon Forge, TN.

I’ve never been to either place so I would be interested to hear what’s to do in Pigeon Forge.
    That area is great if you like touristy crap it’s fabulous if you like non touristy crap it’s fabulous also. But you do have to work a little harder to stay out of the traps if that’s the plan.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Its been awhile since I have been there but, I rented a cabin in Hidden Mountian Resort for a week. It was very nice, We did the Dollywood thing, along with a few concerts there. It was a nice small venue hall. Went to Gatlinburg and walked around town and rode the Ober lift to the top on the mountain. I understand there is a sky-bridge to walk across now also.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'm even thinking about getting a nice hotel in downtown Indy and hitting several museums and steak houses.
    If you do that, look up the museum just north of the circle. I can’t recall the name, but it’s a military history museum. My dad and his Vietnam buddy from Wisconsin hit it a few years back and said it was good. They donated one of theor old Ruthless Riders patches to their board. I need to go see it soon.

I can’t say much for the touristy type of stuff, but I will say Michigan is lovely, all over. We go for bird hunting trips in the fall and it is amazing to roam through the woods. If ye just looking to go chill, there’s a place called Coyote Crossing/Caberfae Peaks near Cadillac. It’s a ski resort and they have nice little cabins. Coyote Crossing is a nice little bar/restaurant that is owned by a very nice couple from the Indy area. They have great food and often have entertainment. I’m not sure about summer weather up there but im guessing a little cooler than down here. And being a ski resort, they might have some great summer rates.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

Pigeon Forge if you like the rat race. Gatlinburg is much more laid back.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    If you do that, look up the museum just north of the circle. I can’t recall the name, but it’s a military history museum. My dad and his Vietnam buddy from Wisconsin hit it a few years back and said it was good. They donated one of theor old Ruthless Riders patches to their board. I need to go see it soon.

I can’t say much for the touristy type of stuff, but I will say Michigan is lovely, all over. We go for bird hunting trips in the fall and it is amazing to roam through the woods. If ye just looking to go chill, there’s a place called Coyote Crossing/Caberfae Peaks near Cadillac. It’s a ski resort and they have nice little cabins. Coyote Crossing is a nice little bar/restaurant that is owned by a very nice couple from the Indy area. They have great food and often have entertainment. I’m not sure about summer weather up there but im guessing a little cooler than down here. And being a ski resort, they might have some great summer rates.
    That museum is the Indiana War Memorial and it's at Meridian and I believe St. Clair.

Wife grew up in central Michigan and we're heading there for her cousin's graduation open house this weekend into next week. I love being up there, especially where her mom is out in the middle of nowhere (around Clare, Mt. Pleasant). So, I too would recommend Michigan.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Chattanooga has some interesting stuff to see. The civil war stuff, Rock City, Ruby Falls, etc. the aquarium they there is nice. We took a short trip to Huntsville Alabama a couple years ago to check out the space museum down there.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Chattanooga area is choc-full of things to do. All kinds of Civil War history. The Chikamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park is pretty cool. Also home to the Fuller Gun Collection - which is absolutely tremendous. https://www.nps.gov/chch/learn/historyculture/fuller-gun-collection.htm

You can be downtown and see the sights - or you can be out of town on a ridge and have an awesome view.

Plenty of good food, plenty of good drink.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    We spent a few days in a condo in Pigeon Forge TN area several years ago. Great view with lots of glass to enjoy it, it was very peaceful to just spend some time playing games, enjoying the view & having nice meals in town.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    We really enjoyed Chattanooga, looks of good food, museums, history and you can get in the woods easily. Charleston has a great southern charm. Pigeon forge is too touristy for me. It's starting to be mosquito season up north I think, maybe the Canadian smoke would damper that. There's always Dale Hollow, Red River Gorge and what's that place in southern Ohio with the cool rock formations? I just woke up, my brain isn't firing enough yet to remember.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Wife and I went up to Michigan recently. ( Benton harbor area ) Only a few hours drive, only about 30 bucks a nite for tent camping. And only about 10 bucks a day or less for all the beach walking you could ask for. Had a great time, didn’t spend much, but got that good R&R feeling. Looking forward to going back. Well worth it.
    View attachment 283947
    The first week of June the wife and I spent a few days in Grand Haven. Beautiful beaches, great places to eat. The timing was perfect as the tourist season had not kicked in yet.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just for getting away and relaxing, I second Dale Hollow. We stayed at the lodge which had decent food and a great view of the lake from our room. We rented a pontoon boat and cruised the lake. We took a side trip and took in the Sgt. York museum.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

But...But, you will miss seeing Snooki and Pauly D

Top Bottom