• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    2 days ago I dropped my Sony Ericcson W580i slider phone. Everything works but the screen. MP3, I can even hear it 'take' pictures.

Is there a way to buy another one, that is 'unlocked' and put my sim card in it and just go on?

I don't want another 2 year cell phone contract. Just want another phone like this one.

Please advise.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Just go to your cellular provider and see if you can buy another phone. You'll have to pay full price for it, but you won't have to mess with another 2 year contract. Either that or buy one off of ebay. Just make sure it's branded to your cell phone company or already unlocked. Then just pop in the SIM card and you'll be good to go.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It must be that simple. My daughter changes phones every couple months. She had an Iphone for sale on Craigslist. I'm not sure if she sold it or not.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Unlocked basically means that you can used the phone on any carrier that uses the same technology (ie. gsm(AT&T, t-mobile, rogers...) or cdma (verizon, sprint....))

So, if you had AT&T your options include buying either an AT&T "locked" phone, or a GSM "unlocked" phone. either one will work fine.

If you have AT&T / T-mobile / GSM carrier you have a sim card that you can swap into any other phone that is for your provider (or an unlocked gsm phone)

from my understanding if you have a verizon / sprint (cdma) phone you will need to call up and have them "activate" the new phone for you. not sure though since I have never dealed with anyone other than at&t or t-mobile.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    mettle my wife works for at&t and gets asked this question all the time. the cheapest way to do this is go over to wal-mart and get a go-phone for $20 pop your sim card in and your good to go. anything more elaborate I'd be more than happy to ask the spousal unit.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    If you shop ebay..

Check the Serial Numbers!!

Long story short, a good seller will list the serial number of the phone in their auction. Call ATT and check it, because if it's been reported lost or stolen it won't activate for you, and chances are you'll be out your money..

I hear these stories all the time..

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Certainly check out the Wal Mart route if your carrier sells their prepaid phones there, MOST should work just by putting the SIM in it.

If not, i 2nd the ebay suggestion. Just be careful, and only buy a phone from an ad that lists the ESN so you can call and confirm it's free and clear.

An unlocked phone is going to cost you MUCH more.

Top Bottom