• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Quick side note, as it has come up a few times.

Again, living in Carmel is not exactly reality. Most of the people I know that live in big houses and have really REALLY nice stuff (most, not all) are debt free, have HUGE retirements, send their kids to private schools, etc. They have been rewarded (or cursed, depending on certain specific situations) with jobs or other enterprises that paid them really well. Most (not all) were very smart, got some good breaks, and made the most of them.

This shouldn't be about jealousy. It is about making the most of opportunities, and sacrificing along the way.

One of the people I know who is VERY wealthy, worked his way through school (and his wife did, too) living in a crappy apartment, pinching every penny (when they would get soft drinks, they were the generic version and only when on sale). He maximized the opportunities he had. He's earned it. I don't begrudge him a thing.

ETA:
    Follow up - most (not all) of those people have lives that I would not trade for. The great things they have cannot replace the intangible things that are part of my life that I do not see in their lives. There are some who have been able to "have it all" but I also believe that they would "have it all" if they didn't have the money. They are solidly grounded in faith and family, and are VERY generous with their money.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Because most Americans have ZERO savings, live direct deposit to direct deposit, and like to be in debt up to their eyeballs.

The mentality of "if I can make payments, I can afford it."

Paid-off vehicles cannot be repossessed... And a home without a mortgage cannot be (legally) foreclosed upon.

Debt-free is THE way to be, son! Keep at it, man. Keep at it.

In the mean time, I'll continue texting you $1mil + real estate listings.

This. We will have the house paid off in under 5 years now. We have enough savings to carry us 24 months with no income. No car payments. We try to pay cash for everything.... ok, that's a little fib. We put it on our credit card, get the 2% cash back, then pay it off every month. that way, each feb we get a nice $700-800 check we use for vacation.

It's not easy being patient. It sucks having to wait.. but when you have the money it feels so good to pay cash.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You never know what people have done to have what they possess. Don't compare yourself to anyone and don't believe the grass is greener on the other side. Stay focused on your family's plan, because it sounds good.

Yup. My neighborhood is in the 180-220 range. I owe less than 40 because I got it as a repo and put thousands of dollars and hours in sweat equity. My Jeep payments are over $700/month, which sounds high until you realize my mortgage payment is under $200/month.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Again, living in Carmel is not exactly reality. Most of the people I know that live in big houses and have really REALLY nice stuff (most, not all) are debt free, have HUGE retirements, send their kids to private schools, etc. They have been rewarded (or cursed, depending on certain specific situations) with jobs or other enterprises that paid them really well. Most (not all) were very smart, got some good breaks, and made the most of them.

This shouldn't be about jealousy. It is about making the most of opportunities, and sacrificing along the way.

One of the people I know who is VERY wealthy, worked his way through school (and his wife did, too) living in a crappy apartment, pinching every penny (when they would get soft drinks, they were the generic version and only when on sale). He maximized the opportunities he had. He's earned it. I don't begrudge him a thing.

ETA:
    Follow up - most (not all) of those people have lives that I would not trade for. The great things they have cannot replace the intangible things that are part of my life that I do not see in their lives. There are some who have been able to "have it all" but I also believe that they would "have it all" if they didn't have the money. They are solidly grounded in faith and family, and are VERY generous with their money.

Like I said- contentment is the key and contentment has absolutely "0" to do with what other people have, or at least it should.

Every once in a while someone says: "You sure are lucky..." Um....yeah, sure. "Lucky".

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Keep up the Good Work!!!!!!!!!! We've always lived below our means. We incurred as little debt as possible and paid it off quickly. I'm Retired and my wife has 2-3 years to go. When I look at our Retirement funds I'm amazed we have saved so much in 33 years. If you can, have money deducted from your paycheck for retirement. If you don't get the Ca$h in your hand you won't miss it.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Like I said- contentment is the key and contentment has absolutely "0" to do with what other people have, or at least it should.

Every once in a while someone says: "You sure are lucky..." Um....yeah, sure. "Lucky".

Wife got mad as hell at one of her friends that is the "borrow it and maybe pay for it later with money I don't have" group. She made the comment "it must be nice to be able to go on expensive vacations". She went off. Something to the line of "We don't go outto eat every night, don't drink, party and buy cars/houses/junk that we can't afford. We save and wait to get what we want. That's not nice, that's working your ass off for it. You could too if you'd stop being stupid about your money".

I love that woman

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Lots of people make more than we do. We are just finishing up a little vacation in Los Angeles...many people make more than us. It is what it is. The older you get the less you care about it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Go back and read your OP. Many would look at you and see a man with a loving wife and partner who are working together, keeping a home, raising a child and acting resposibly with an eye on the future. Many of those driving new cars are looking at you with envy.

YOU, are doing fine, LM .....

Keep up, with what you, are doing .....

I'm here for you, if you need any support, give me a call .....

Hang in there, you and yours, will be just fine .....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wife got mad as hell at one of her friends that is the "borrow it and maybe pay for it later with money I don't have" group. She made the comment "it must be nice to be able to go on expensive vacations". She went off. Something to the line of "We don't go outto eat every night, don't drink, party and buy cars/houses/junk that we can't afford. We save and wait to get what we want. That's not nice, that's working your ass off for it. You could too if you'd stop being stupid about your money".

I love that woman

That's awesome.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I follow a different path then most. While my wife and I are both are both maxing out our 401K and saving a decent amount, we are both under the realization that life is precious and to enjoy the time that you have .... now.

There are always people putting things off, saying that when they retire or when they get that promotion,... they will do X (take a trip, make an home improvement, buy an RV). But in reality, many never end up doing what they wanted to do and end up regretting it, or never having the opportunity again in the future.... just because they are too focused on saving that buck.

Is it important to have a saving and plan for retirement..... absolutely. I am not denying that. However, just remember, it can all end tomorrow....

However, its easier for me to say that because I buy everything out right (minus house) and have no other debt.... and one of our vehicles has 219K miles on it

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

ETA:

Lol, there are plenty of people you don't know that live in big house that don't have furniture in them. I've never seen more cases of "keeping up with Jones's" in my life.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Lol, there are plenty of people you don't know that live in big house that don't have furniture in them. I've never seen more cases of "keeping up with Jones's" in my life.

What I find amusing about that whole area is the huge house on what, .2 to .3 acres? C'mon.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dude. Its 2017.

"Keeping up with the Joneses" = "Keeping up with the Kardashians"

;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    People pay a TON of money for those. Especially in Carmel.

I scoff at people paying large sums for houses on lots, 4 of which would not fill HoughMade Meadow's front yard:

10154273_10204095416840088_8059520524322372171_n.jpg

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The wife's first house in Fishers/Noblesville line was sitting on .19 acre, Ut was small (1600sqft), poorly built and cramped in with everyone else. Once we got my 2 acres out here where it's quiet I was happy.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I follow a different path then most. While my wife and I are both are both maxing out our 401K and saving a decent amount, we are both under the realization that life is precious and to enjoy the time that you have .... now.

There are always people putting things off, saying that when they retire or when they get that promotion,... they will do X (take a trip, make an home improvement, buy an RV). But in reality, many never end up doing what they wanted to do and end up regretting it, or never having the opportunity again in the future.... just because they are too focused on saving that buck.

Is it important to have a saving and plan for retirement..... absolutely. I am not denying that. However, just remember, it can all end tomorrow....

However, its easier for me to say that because I buy everything out right (minus house) and have no other debt.... and one of our vehicles has 219K miles on it

We're able to do those things because we're living the DINK lifestyle. We make sure to take a vacation each year SOMEWHERE, and try to update the house a little each year as well. Then there's my car addiction....

Top Bottom