• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I recently transitioned from working in the corporate office to working out of my home in a virtual office. My company issues policy reminders every year, and one little snippet from the virtual office directive literally made me chuckle.

Paraphrased, it went something like, 'the company policy for firearms and alcohol extends to the virtual office environment.' IE, when I worked in the office or any other corporate location it was a GFZ.

There's no way in the world that can be even CLOSE to legal, can it? Not that I'm worried about it, but I thought y'all might get a kick out of it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Generally the guidelines like this are aimed at sales people who travel or use company vehicles. It's pretty tough to enforce a GFZ in someone's home office.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Dude, I get to work in my jammies and get my Internet paid for if I bite my tongue. Of COURSE I'm a pansy. ;)

JTScribe on his way to the office in the morning...

bunny2.jpg

Keep an eye over your shoulder for BunnyKid dropping in.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Obviously, you can NOT have firearms while you're at 'work'. NOR can you leave them at 'work' when you're done for the day. That's quite a conundrum!

NO worries, JT. Just leave those 'evil' firearms with me as long as your 'new office' is at it's current location. I'll take 'good care' of 'em for ya!

:lmfao:

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I recently transitioned from working in the corporate office to working out of my home in a virtual office. My company issues policy reminders every year, and one little snippet from the virtual office directive literally made me chuckle.

Paraphrased, it went something like, 'the company policy for firearms and alcohol extends to the virtual office environment.' IE, when I worked in the office or any other corporate location it was a GFZ.

There's no way in the world that can be even CLOSE to legal, can it? Not that I'm worried about it, but I thought y'all might get a kick out of it.

are you going to OC during video conferences? ;)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Well at least they aren't enforcing the "must wear pants while at work" policy.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I could see it as a scapegoat for the company.

You do a video conference with a customer who is anti-gun, and you have a shotgun in the corner in the background and they noticed.
    They file a complaint to your employer.
    Your employer then takes that policy as a scapegoat and fires you for violating their policy, to keep their customer.

As to whether or not being fired for violating that policy is legal, I'm not sure. :dunno:

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Indiana is an "At will" state, they do not have to give you a reason to fire you. I would keep firearms out of the "office" portion and you should be fine. basically don't brag about your firearms at work and you will also be fine. Do they have a no smoking policy too? If you ever have the hankering to quit: smoke a cigar, have a bottle of Jack and clean your guns during a video conference wearing no shirt.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Indiana is an "At will" state, they do not have to give you a reason to fire you. I would keep firearms out of the "office" portion and you should be fine. basically don't brag about your firearms at work and you will also be fine. they have a no smoking policy too? If you ever have the hankering to quit: smoke a cigar, have a bottle of Jack and clean your guns during a video conference wearing no shirt.

No, but smokers pay more for insurance.

Top Bottom