I can't believe how high the guns sold for at a farm auction!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Yesterday Field King and I attended a farm auction with a few guns. He and I were amazed at how much the firearms sold for.
    $800 for a heavily worn 3 screw Ruger Single-Six with box.
    $650 for a Walther PPK/S with box
    $375 for a standard Ruger 10-22 with Bushnell scope.
    $1150 for an Underwood M1 Carbine
    $550 for a no-name M1 Carbine
    $1200 for a beat up Springfield 1884 Trapdoor.
    $475 for an Italian Carcano
    $775 for a very well worn Remington 16 ga Wingmaster
    Here is the kicker; $2600 for a mixed-matched USGI Colt 1911 RIA rework.
    Am I missing something here? Doesn't anyone do their homework before bidding? I wish I could get prices like this on INGO Classifieds. I could retire.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Isn't it usually the same bunch of people that go to auctions in any given region? I went to a few several years back and saw the same dozen or so dopes bidding outrageous amounts. I think, to them, it's some sort of bragging rites, to me, just stupid.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    $475 for a Carcano? DAYUM!!! I'd sell my 7.3 Sporter for $300! :)

$1150 for the Underwood seems about right anymore, especially in decent to good condition

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Gun prices were crazy, but I bet somebody got a deal on a baler or a corn planter.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Daaamn!! Auction at my place tomorrow :):

I don't really feel bad. At least those buyers will keep the guns whether they wanted to or not :):

a lot of flippers go to auctions. I don't feel bad if they get skunked!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had the same experience at the few I went to. I stuck four grand in my pocket at one and couldn't by anything and came home with my money. I was absolutely shocked at the horrible out of line prices things were actually selling for. I will never waste my time on any auction ever again.

I saw an old shot out scratched up Python sell for 2500.00. It didn't even have the box or the original grips or anything. It was junk. I bet if you took it by the grip and shook it sounded like a rattle snake.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That Auction was destined for High Prices from the get-go for a bunch of reasons..

-- There were not a lot of quality Auctions in the central Indiana that day -- less auctions, more people attending the ones that are happening
    -- They had enough guns to attract Gun buyers, but not 100s where some will fall between the cracks, and they had some sexy guns
    -- The Columbus area is a tough Auction Market.. (For a whole slew of reasons)
    -- That Auction company, I believe is honest , But do attract a large following and do a fair amount of promotion of their products.
    They have had several firearms related auctions and will contact that crowd a head of time.
    -- This auction was a farm equipment auction also. That attracted a large male audience, Men with money in their pockets looking for
    large tractor toys. Same kind of crowd that would buy firearms.
    -- Where as the price of used guns have leveled out over the last few months, Auctions prices will lag behind the Market with items that infrequently show up
    -- On site auctions tend to be alluring and attract people to it. (There has to be deals there, these items have never been on the market before, this is not some dealers leavings)
    -- Farm auction in the country will attract many, many neighbors, many of who will only attended 2 or three auctions their entire lives.
    -- Winter onsite auction goers always have the hope for bad weather, that will lower the crowd, lower the price, bargains to be had, The weather was nice.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Having my C&R and collecting the olde military rifles, I have studied these a bit. I am by far no expert but the two (2) I can comment on a bit are the Carcano and the M-1.

Regarding the Carcano it seems way out of whack. I would guess about $225 - $300 for a good condition model. Up that $25 - $50 if there was something really good about it; great bore, special marks, etc.

Regarding the Underwood M-1 Carbine I would have guessed about $800 - $1,000. Given that, according to the "M1 Carbine Owners Guide" I picked up at the CMP store the Underwood is a bit more collectable, but not a rarity. Given that I would add about $200 to my original pricing, pushing it up to about $1,000 - $1,200. This would mean it went for about its value. This of course presumes no mix-n-match, good bore, no bubba'ing the wood, etc. All of which would drastically reduce the value of the M1.

Regarding the "standard" M-1 Carbine $550 seems a bit low, but not much. Again, condition would matter.

The problem with an auction is some folks don't know when "my life will not end without this thing" should override "BUT I WANT IT!" Too many folks allow their emotions to override their ability to think. This is why auctioneers do not like me.

I have been to several auctions with firearms. I have looked around and IF I see something I want (and can afford) I put a price on it. That is my limit - no matter what! Once that bad boy hits my limit I am out period end! I once drove down to Bloomington for a big firearms auction. I did pick up an unopened case of 8mm X 56R ammo. I saw a Steyr rifle that might be cool, but nothing special. My top dollar on that thing was $75. Once it hit $77.50 I was out. As far as the auctioneer goes I am not his friend, his pal, his buddy. I am there for a deal, end of story. I understand he has a job to do to get the most money out of folks that he can. That is his part in the story. Once we come to terms with the parts we play we can be good. Too many folks let their emotions get the better of them, and woe unto the budget later.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom