• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The span is just over grass. It's a nice flat Greenwood area and will go between two trees. My kids are 3 and 5 so the initial drop probably isn't a good idea. The trees are probably 30" diameter and should hold well. The kit has some padded straps to go around the tree. It should do just fine, but I'll be sending my wife and I down at the same time to test the weight. It says 350 pounds so I'll try a bit more than that. Kids should be OK if we are.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Ah, I could see them not appreciating the drop. If you have any concerns about damaging the trees, use ratchet to put 3-4 vertical 2x4s around the tree, then run your cable/ straps over that. Also, if you got a kit without the brake, I'd put a tennis ball or two at the end so your pulley doesn't slam into it. As far as awesomeness , get [STRIKE]some [/STRIKE] LOTS of glowsticks. Put them on then riders, the end, etc. Little kids should love it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    there is a bungee brake system that comes with it. That was a must for me to allow myself to get it. It was hard enough to convince the wife, the brake helped :) We went ziplining in jamaica and loved it and I'm hoping to get my kids interested. They enjoyed a similar one at Fundamentals gymnastics in Greenwood. Good idea on the 2x4 to spread out the pressure on the tree.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    something like this would be cool

XDbfEMk.gif

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The span is just over grass. It's a nice flat Greenwood area and will go between two trees. My kids are 3 and 5 so the initial drop probably isn't a good idea. The trees are probably 30" diameter and should hold well. The kit has some padded straps to go around the tree. It should do just fine, but I'll be sending my wife and I down at the same time to test the weight. It says 350 pounds so I'll try a bit more than that. Kids should be OK if we are.

It should be able to tolerate at least 30% more than rated. They are required to underrate by at least that much. I know it's that much for cranes and such and at least as high if not higher for fall protection devices(could be 50%). And if it's rated for standard fall protection, it's rated for a 350lb person falling 6ft. Which generates a whole heck of a lot of force as compared to a foot or two drop and then down the zipline.

And I second (or third or...)the "gauntlet", on a hot day with water balloons would be a blast.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I say two zip lines with the kids going towards each other with jousts.

We used to build them all the time when i was younger first time i ever caught my self on fire was on a zipline, taped smoke bombs to my boots. Also the second biggest lie i ever told my parents involved a zipline.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.

Famous last words Doc!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Tagging for the AAR...

:popcorn:

Sounds like fun! One of my friends had a primitive zip line out of his tree house back when we were kids. It was only a few feet long but us kids loved it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My family and I have been invited to said party at Doc's house...

I'm going to go down it wearing just a gun belt, holster, and gun. And the harness, of course. It'd be silly not to.

-J-

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    there is a bungee brake system that comes with it. That was a must for me to allow myself to get it. It was hard enough to convince the wife, the brake helped :) We went ziplining in jamaica and loved it and I'm hoping to get my kids interested. They enjoyed a similar one at Fundamentals gymnastics in Greenwood. Good idea on the 2x4 to spread out the pressure on the tree.

Have you tried go ape in Indy? Lots of fun.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    what about stacking up a bunch of boxes near the end of the zip line and the rider can try knocking them down "angry birds" style.

i know where you can get a bunch of LARGE usps priority mail boxes if you need them.

Top Bottom