• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    I went to Kodiak firing range yesterday, and was able to shoot a m&p22 pistol. I really liked it, I was wanting a 22LR to shoot, so I can shoot more often for less money. I have the m&p9 so I wanted something that would feel the same in my hand, and it sure does feel the same, a little bit lighter, but overall the same feel as my m&p9 with the medium backstrap. There arent interchangeable back straps on the m&p22. So I picked up the gun from ZX guns in Goshen for $330 and then went to Kodiak and the gun did ok. It wouldnt cycle the Remington hollow points I bought, but shot the Remington high velocity round nose rounds no problem, I cant remember the weight of either round. Anyway, its a decent gun, but the field stripping sucks big time! Other than that it pretty good. My brother in law and father in law bought the same gun, my father in laws gun has a problem, slide wont lock when the mag is empty, and the slide kind of binds to the frame. He is going back today to see if it can be exchanged. I think ZX will take care of him, from what I hear they are the best gun shop around.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Firld stripping difficult? How so? I have one and it seems simple. Pull out the takendown lever about 1/2", then retract the slide all the way and lift the rear of it off the frame, then bring the slide forward and off the gun. Take off the recoil spring and, if you want, the guide rod- you're done. Fingernails or a thin blade helps on the takedown, but other than that...

Last edited:

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    its not difficult, just sucks. pulling the pin out part way, having the spring and guide rod sort of fall out.....the field strip on the m&p9 is amazing....the m&p22, not so much.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    its not difficult, just sucks. pulling the pin out part way, having the spring and guide rod sort of fall out.....the field strip on the m&p9 is amazing....the m&p22, not so much.

I understand that, but it seems to be the nature of a blowback vs. a locked breach.

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    I picked one up at the Kokomo gun show a couple weekends ago. Took it to the local indoor range yesterday. Wow, what a nice little pistol. It ate the Federal American Eagle 40 grain and the Aguila 36 grain cartridges without so much as a hiccup.

Very pleased with it, although the field strip is unusual. (Not nearly as bad as a Ruger Mk. II 22/45 though!;))

:ingo:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I gotta agree. I love shooting it, but the take down and way the parts just sort of fall out is just plain screwy. Not to mention if you are using a suppressor and gemtech adapter...

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    well my father in law took his back to ZX but they said since it was fired it cant be returned because now its a used gun. this was his first buy so he is a bit unhappy about it since he only had it for an hour or so. he got a rma from smith and wesson and will be sent in for repair tomorrow.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    well my father in law took his back to ZX but they said since it was fired it cant be returned because now its a used gun. this was his first buy so he is a bit unhappy about it since he only had it for an hour or so. he got a rma from smith and wesson and will be sent in for repair tomorrow.

Most GS's will not take a gun back, sad part of getting one not quite right.:(

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    anyone know where i can find some more 12 round mags? only came with one. everyplace ive checked so far is out of stock.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    1. S&W should take care of it. Still sucks, but it happens.
    2. Don't buy remington .22 ammo it is complete crap. I have a half dozen 22's and none of them will cycle remington or winchester wildcat with any reliability. Stick with federal bulk or cci.
    3. Just get 10 round mags and take the limiter out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZr4jugj3TA
    go to 2 minutes in the video to avoid falling asleep...

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    no im not using a suppressor but i sure would like to get one...ive thought about it, and i would rather spend the money on another handgun. maybe a m&p shield, or a springfield xdm, or a walther ppq.....no i would splurge and get something a little more unique, a steyr m9a1....ohh yeah that would be lovely.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    no im not using a suppressor but i sure would like to get one...ive thought about it, and i would rather spend the money on another handgun. maybe a m&p shield, or a springfield xdm, or a walther ppq.....no i would splurge and get something a little more unique, a steyr m9a1....ohh yeah that would be lovely.
    shield 9mm is awesome. i love mine. /thread jack over.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    my father in law got it back a week ago, s&w replaced the slide lock, runs like a champ now. mine has about 1000 rounds through it and it hasnt had any trouble, my brother in law has about 2000 rounds through his and he hasnt had any problems either. we shot round nose, hollow point, all sorts of weights and velocities, everything 850 fps and over works great, anything lower than that didnt have enough power to kick the slide back. its pretty accurate and a whole lot of fun to shoot. i did get a spare mag from sand burr gun ranch, a bit of a drive from south bend but completely worth it.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Just out of curiousity, what kind of Remington HPs were you using? The reason I ask is because the Golden Bullets have undergone some changes recently and improvements have been made to the primer compound that have made them more reliable in some guns. I am not sure if everywhere has (or had pre-panic) the newer lots or not. I know Walmart sells it and it works well in both my SIG 522 and my Bersa Thunder 22. That's not to say that it would be guaranteed to work in your M&P since .22s can be weird like that, I am just trying to get a feel for how the newer GBs are working for others.

Top Bottom