I are gumsmif; or, YouTube makes it look so easy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Had a buddy bring an AK over; I’ve built AR’s but don’t know much about AK’s.

Successfully welded a loose shroud/barrel extension thingy back on after milling out a crush washer so we could time the flash hider and threads would be tight instead of depending on the weld alone.

Next up, replace the piston with an adjustable one. Supposedly a welded pin will show up as you sand to find the end, drill it out and unscrew old piston. Light sanding, can’t find it, keep sanding, finally drill into one open hole of bolt carrier assembly, can see into where roll pin was supposed to be, still won’t unscrew and actually stress cracks where we’ve weakened it.
    Ended up sanding til we see the threads and piston unscrews easily. Had heated it to break loctite very first thing, we still don’t know why it didn’t go as planned.
    $100 lesson, I’ve done worse that’s for sure but still aggravating.

D4DAA672-D7AF-4BAF-91DC-9946E1205C3A.jpeg 134B1C97-F22D-451D-9833-A4ACD2F6ED62.jpeg D6FEA0E0-30DA-4E4B-A7D6-8B31C6F1C540.jpeg

Flytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    NWI
    Well, it was in your avatar so I thought you might be proud of yours.
    I wasn't a big fan of the one I had for a bit, but there’s no accountin’ for taste.
    I do like my Kimber that I have, but I really like 1911's more than anything and my whole collection consists only of 1911's, that is, of course if I really did have a collection.

Flytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    NWI
    Well, it was in your avatar so I thought you might be proud of yours.
    I wasn't a big fan of the one I had for a bit, but there’s no accountin’ for taste.
    I do need to get a new avatar, but I'm just not creative enough.

Flytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    NWI
    Haha I didn’t even have one for a few thousand posts. But the off the tracks derailment thing really fits me so I went with it.
    Ok, now you got me searching for some cool 1911 avatar... Let's see what 4 hours of googling will do ..

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well my kids played with the wooden ones, and the plastic ones feel cheap, so yes I’m sure my avatar is a wooden one.
    My son loved Thomas as a child to. Most of his are wood also, he dropped a bag full behind my truck and I flatted about a dozen.
    One of his mothers friends told her the wood ones had a lifetime warranty.
    She mailed them back and they replaced all of them N/C.
    Great Company.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My son loved Thomas as a child to. Most of his are wood also, he dropped a bag full behind my truck and I flatted about a dozen.
    One of his mothers friends told her the wood ones had a lifetime warranty.
    She mailed them back and they replaced all of them N/C.
    Great Company.
    My grandson is playing with them now, still great toys. And I’m back to building track, which I don’t mind, we just need more straight pieces! And where did that one connector go?!?!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My grandson is playing with them now, still great toys. And I’m back to building track, which I don’t mind, we just need more straight pieces! And where did that one connector go?!?!
    Been there, I sold his table years ago. I kept all the track, buildings and cars for when he has kids. My son is just 22.

Top Bottom