• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I have a 12 year old Bryant gas furnace that seems to be working properly so far this winter but I have been paying closer attention to the tstat and ambient temp in the house the last few weeks because of the extreme temp swings. We purchased this home in July so I don't have much experience with it except for this year. So far it has been fine but today I was in the laundry/furnace room and noticed a steady low pitched hum similar to what a small refrigerator compressor makes.. I shut off main power switch at furnace to verify the source of the sound which seems to be coming from the control panel inside the unit. Is this just the ac/dc inverter humming and normal or is this the sign of something dying??? Thanks if anyone has any suggestions...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Could be a relay or contactor making that noise. If so, it doesn't necessarily mean failure is imminent. You might open the box and see if you can isolate it further.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Most likely it's the 24volt transformer that is behind the control board mounted on the blower assembly. As they age, they do start to hum a little.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm assuming nothing to worry about then?

You are correct. Transformer handles the controls. When it takes a dump, the furnace will not run... At all. It's a good part to have a spare for... Just in case. Along with a spare igniter and flame sensor. Takes a whole 10 minutes to change.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    You are correct. Transformer handles the controls. When it takes a dump, the furnace will not run... At all. It's a good part to have a spare for... Just in case. Along with a spare igniter and flame sensor. Takes a whole 10 minutes to change.
    I will check into that, work for a local mechanical contracting company so maybe its a good idea to get part numbers and order them to keep on hand.. or make sure what I need is stocked at my place of employment.. I only posted the thread because it was a seemingly new noise to me, I don't frequent the laundry room nor is the ambient noise usually low enough for me to hear low db noises like this.. I assumed the transformer was the souce but wanted to some assurance all was well..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will check into that, work for a local mechanical contracting company so maybe its a good idea to get part numbers and order them to keep on hand.. or make sure what I need is stocked at my place of employment.. I only posted the thread because it was a seemingly new noise to me, I don't frequent the laundry room nor is the ambient noise usually low enough for me to hear low db noises like this.. I assumed the transformer was the souce but wanted to some assurance all was well..

So you work for a contractor and you ask us......HHhhhhhmmmmmmmmm......curious....:):

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Well, I fix their service vehicles.. I'm not trained in residential or commercial hvac but have an intimate knowledge of automobile hvac and understand the electrical and mechanics of hvac in buildings.. From an automotive backround though ,the nvh produced by most things in the home can drive me nuts.. .... I'm not knocking my employer or fellow employees just figured the mouse would have a good idea of what was going on as I read a lot of your posts and can tell when someone knows their $h17.....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, I fix their service vehicles.. I'm not trained in residential or commercial hvac but have an intimate knowledge of automobile hvac and understand the electrical and mechanics of hvac in buildings.. From an automotive backround though ,the nvh produced by most things in the home can drive me nuts.. .... I'm not knocking my employer or fellow employees just figured the mouse would have a good idea of what was going on as I read a lot of your posts and can tell when someone knows their $h17.....

This could be a "small world isnt it?" post. Hopefully not Bowman Mechanical? (I think the Truck said Bowman... wasnt really paying attention at the time) I passed one of their vans today around noon heading north on High school just north of mills . It was so far out of alignment I could tell from 50 yards away it was crabbing. I wouldnt be surprised if it was leaving 4 sets of wheel tracks in the snow.

If so you might want to check into whichever truck that was. Its in dire need of some TLC.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    This could be a "small world isnt it?" post. Hopefully not Bowman Mechanical? (I think the Truck said Bowman... wasnt really paying attention at the time) I passed one of their vans today around noon heading north on High school just north of mills . It was so far out of alignment I could tell from 50 yards away it was crabbing. I wouldnt be surprised if it was leaving 4 sets of wheel tracks in the snow.

If so you might want to check into whichever truck that was. Its in dire need of some TLC.
    No , not bowman .. Definately no... But I do live in camby...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Thanks for the confidence.

There are a few really knowledgeable techs in Ingo.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    its just a 80% ? If its a 90% could be a different story... You know why they really HUM?

ITS BECAUSE THAT THEY FORGOT THE WORDS....:rolleyes::n00b:. sorry could not help myself..any 40VA transformer should work if that one pukes. Definitely one of those items you should keep handy.. a hot surface ignitor is another.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    its just a 80% ? If its a 90% could be a different story... You know why they really HUM?

ITS BECAUSE THAT THEY FORGOT THE WORDS....:rolleyes::n00b:. sorry could not help myself..any 40VA transformer should work if that one pukes. Definitely one of those items you should keep handy.. a hot surface ignitor is another.

Scotch brite for the flame rod.....:

Top Bottom