• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Got a letter from another land lease company. In the content I noted that there was reference made to the increasing demand for hunting ground every year. I don't know about other parts of the state, but I see fewer hunters every year for deer and other game in the fall. Spring seems less as well, but not as low as fall. What do members see around the state? Hate to think hunting is dying off, but then I wonder why the land lease people are more aggressive.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Among the folks I know quite a few have either cut way back (myself included) or quit altogether. Most aren't ancient, but more middle aged or younger so age isn't really an issue. Numerous reasons were given, too many to mention but one big one that stands out to me is simply lack of interest. At the same time I know of only a very few who have taken it up, and more than one has quit after just a few years.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seems like I used to know or came in contact with a bunch of folks that hunted. It seems like there are way fewer of them. As fall would approach I‘d hear people at the plant talking about their plans, etc. but now? Not so much.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The cost of hunting these days is higher and higher.

State taxation, hunting leases becoming a thing, guns, ammo, gas and the economy overall. Used to be every other rural person had an extra pickup or two around to haul game and equipment. These days a cheap old pickup is an expensive old pickup. Let alone insurance, tags, parts, upkeep, etc.

How many years back was it that hunting for the dinner table became more profitable in the grocery store?

:spend:

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Access is still the big item. Guns and ammo once in hand are not really that expensive unless out just shooting up ammo. Practice should be done with .22 LR. A hitch haul can be used to haul deer. The youth need to cut down on screen time and get outdoors. This is a parents job. They can't do that if there is no place for them to go W/O paying for a lease. Just an old man's thoughts.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    The demand for Indiana hunting leases from out of state hunters has increased significantly over the last several years. A farm north of my lease is leased by a group from Florida. Finding private property to lease, let alone hunt is becoming very difficult.

Dirty Steve

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Definitely agree with lack of access. I am blessed to have a spot.and will never take it for granted. But when its done its done. Hunting is becoming a rich man's sport. Like other said before the license fees, and gas a to go to your spot adds up. Soon only the lords will be able to hunt and us peasants will be back to gruel

Last edited:

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When hunting is easy, such as deer hunting during the 90's era over populated deer herds, then everyone and their brother is out in the woods giving it a go.

When it is more challenging, only the more dedicated persist.
    So what would explain fewer hunting now when they can shoot at them with near anything they want? Rifles, shotguns, airguns, pistols, cross bows? Walmart has become the Poacher's outlet store. Children's season, city seasons, doe season ... depredation permits?

This is suppose to be HARDER?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Question from non-hunter...
    When referring to land-leases for hunting, is it land where the leasee hunts entirely/only on the leased land or can it be land that borders good hunting locations?

My example: If I own 10 acres of land that borders the HNF, could I lease my land to someone that wants to hunt in HNF, such that my land can be hunted and/or the hunter may also venture into HNF and only use my land as access, would that be considered a hunting lease? Awkward question/wording, I know.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Question from non-hunter...
    When referring to land-leases for hunting, is it land where the leasee hunts entirely/only on the leased land or can it be land that borders good hunting locations?

My example: If I own 10 acres of land that borders the HNF, could I lease my land to someone that wants to hunt in HNF, such that my land can be hunted and/or the hunter may also venture into HNF and only use my land as access, would that be considered a hunting lease? Awkward question/wording, I know.
    Yes, if you wanted to you could lease the hunting rights on your land. If it butts up against HNF that may add to or detract from the appeal depending on the hunter. As an example, I'd be hesitant to lease up against public ground for fear of trespasser issues. I'm sure there is some land which borders public but is remote enough that there are no issues but I'd be pretty picky in that circumstance.

We leased the hunting rights on 850 acres for many years. Got very spoiled but we don't have pro baseball pitcher money so we had to find other arrangements.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I've lost leases and property I could hunt in the past because of property sales. My current leased property is only 58 acres but is the kind you dream about finding. Im grateful to have it and the owner lets me treat it as my own. Unfortunately he is 93. We do all of the mowing, maintenance, caretaking and improvements and he has said many times it's a match made in heaven for him at this stage of his life. However, I'm likely starting the search all over again when he passes and his heirs who do not hunt or have any interest in the property what so ever put it up for sale. I've been sending introductory letters with lease offers to property owners the last 2 years (that's how I found this one) trying to get a back-up lined up for when that day comes. Nearly 30 letters sent covering 2 counties I'm interested in and haven't even gotten a nibble.

Dirty Steve

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Seems like it's going the way of aviation. Costs and barriers to entry are just soaring across the board.

Can't afford land, don't know anyone with land, public land hunted out, costs too much to drive out to somewhere to hunt, can't afford time off work, increasing regulation, byzantine equipment requirements, the list of reasons not to do it is endless.

I would really love to but like so many things in the modern world, the people who got it first when it was cheap and easy pulled the ladder up behind them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Simple supply and demand and unfortunately they quit making land a few years ago. Population increased and the limited land resources dried up or got more expensive. Throw in obscene amount of jealousy that reduces otherwise good men to scoundrels and it’s pushed a lot of people out or prevented them from getting started to begin with.

I grew up wanting to hunt but had no one to show me the ropes. Joined the Army and had a few guys take me under their wing and I killed my first deer while stationed in Texas. I was hooked hard.

Then I got out of the Army and moved back to Indianapolis. Tried hunting public ground a few times and got permission on a 15 acre piece of private ground that turned out to have about 20 other hunters using it and I threw in the towel. Didn’t hunt again for 18 years until an opportunity opened up on the lease. If my hunting partner hadn’t been in the fortunate position of being able to buy some ground when we lost the lease I’d have probably been done again.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The little bit of public ground that we have up here in the north can be crowded, so I would imagine a lot of people give it up since private land is so hard to get permission to hunt on.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    The little bit of public ground that we have up here in the north can be crowded, so I would imagine a lot of people give it up since private land is so hard to get permission to hunt on.
    This. Used to hunt all the time when I was a kid. I bought a license so I could take my kids out for youth waterfowl weekend this year, but that was the only weekend I made it out.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Don't forget to in part thank the Indiana legislature for maintaining some of the lowest non resident license fees and ridiculous bag limits in the country. It is cheaper for some non residents to travel and hunt here than it is to hunt in their own states.
    What states are you referring to… I can think of maybe 2 that fall in that category.

One Deer for nonresident $240…

Indiana Deer bag limits are the lowest they been in 20+ years.

Top Bottom