• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I might be going crazy. I remember reading a 16” barrel was required for deer rifles in Indiana but now can’t find any thing about it. The whole pistol brace rule has me wondering if I need to secure a new deer gun prior to the fall, in previous seasons I used a 300 blackout pistol upper. This is for private land obviously.

Is it ok to hunt deer with a SBR?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    According to my local youngster CO to qualify as a rifle the barrel must be 16 inches long. A pistol under 16. Since pistol braces were pistols once it was legal if using a firearm license.

He could not explain if an SBR or a silencer were legal even reading the laws himself and basically said it would be at his discretion. When asked if having 8 rounds of 44 mag in my rifle and 6 rounds of 44 mag in my pistol would place me over the ten round ammo limit for hunting if the 44 mag was personal protection. Once again he could not really figure it out and said it would be at his discretion.

With the discretion and the ways law are written and interpreted especially game laws.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I don't hunt here ,but I haven't found anything specifically saying no sbr's. I did find this that says rifles must use a .357 or larger bullet on public land, and .243 or larger on private land? Who wrote these rules/laws?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    According to my local youngster CO to qualify as a rifle the barrel must be 16 inches long. A pistol under 16. Since pistol braces were pistols once it was legal if using a firearm license.

He could not explain if an SBR or a silencer were legal even reading the laws himself and basically said it would be at his discretion. When asked if having 8 rounds of 44 mag in my rifle and 6 rounds of 44 mag in my pistol would place me over the ten round ammo limit for hunting if the 44 mag was personal protection. Once again he could not really figure it out and said it would be at his discretion.

With the discretion and the ways law are written and interpreted especially game laws.

It's not good when the officer has to determine legal or not on the scene.

Popular fire chief in my neighborhood eventually plead guilty to a legit deer he took on his own property.

The gent pissed off the rookie CO that was sent to investigate. The CO was "building his case" as he went, even threatening to confiscate the guy's pickup truck, (that the deer had never been in.) :n00b:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I don’t recall anything in the constitution allowing discretion. His discretion may not pass muster in court but while he goes merrily rolling along with his discretionary powers you are left paying the bill for his education. By the time you get your guns back and perhaps hunting privileges season will be over.

At the end of the day the co walks away suffering no consequences for manufacturing his own laws. Discretion should be at the option of an officer who has clear grounds to site an infraction or violation not to manufacture law.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The fire chief I mentioned above, technically could have won his case. He gave into pressure that he had a liberal female judge and an officer's word working against him.

It just wasn't worth it cost wise for the chief to fight the case. He pled to poaching, paying the $180 citation and giving up his confiscated 870. Those costs were nothing compared to ambulance chaser money to go to court.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I hope there is another CO in your county to educate this guy, silencers have been legal for several years and the regulations plainly say so. SBRs are a little murkier. They were banned for a time because some were using it as a loophole to use a rifle as a pistol but now as far as I can tell, if a SBR meets other rifle requirements (ie. bullet diameter, case length min and max) then it is legal.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I hope there is another CO in your county to educate this guy, silencers have been legal for several years and the regulations plainly say so. SBRs are a little murkier. They were banned for a time because some were using it as a loophole to use a rifle as a pistol but now as far as I can tell, if a SBR meets other rifle requirements (ie. bullet diameter, case length min and max) then it is legal.
    This is also the impression I get after research, but wanted to see if I was missing something obvious.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    It's not good when the officer has to determine legal or not on the scene.

Popular fire chief in my neighborhood eventually plead guilty to a legit deer he took on his own property.

The gent pissed off the rookie CO that was sent to investigate. The CO was "building his case" as he went, even threatening to confiscate the guy's pickup truck, (that the deer had never been in.) :n00b:
    What did he do that warranted an investigation?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That’s illegal?

Between a problem neighbor, looking to cause problems and an overly ambitious rookie CO, trying to make a name for himself, somehow the charge got turned into hunting over bait.

To give the CO and neighbor their due, the "poacher" is a bit of the aggressive sort. He likely had the neighbor pissed off and looking for anything to get at him. And the rookie CO was not about to take any :poop: off of anyone.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Between a problem neighbor, looking to cause problems and an overly ambitious rookie CO, trying to make a name for himself, somehow the charge got turned into hunting over bait.

To give the CO and neighbor their due, the "poacher" is a bit of the aggressive sort. He likely had the neighbor pissed off and looking for anything to get at him. And the rookie CO was not about to take any :poop: off of anyone.

I mean the “poacher” seems well within his right to be po’d.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.

This is what I found on the DNR website eRegulations for deer. It does not specifically call out SBR's so I would assume it would be the same as a suppressor. It also does not specify a minimum barrel length like it does for handguns. IMHO, if you can legally possess it, you can hunt with it, though I am not LE or a lawyer.

Hunting Equipment​

Legal Firearms​

Shotguns, handguns, rifles with legal cartridges, muzzleloading long guns, muzzleloading handguns, and air guns are legal during the firearms season. Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader season. Firearms with suppressors may be used to take deer in accordance with federal law.

Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms, youth, and reduction zone (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm) seasons only.

Last edited:

MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    I might be going crazy. I remember reading a 16” barrel was required for deer rifles in Indiana but now can’t find any thing about it. The whole pistol brace rule has me wondering if I need to secure a new deer gun prior to the fall, in previous seasons I used a 300 blackout pistol upper. This is for private land obviously.

Is it ok to hunt deer with a SBR?
    I remember once reading where "no NFA items" was listed for hunting before suppressors were allowed. IDK if that would even be the case anymore. Which is kinda goofy because I also remember before centerfires were legalized legal coyote hunting guns were listed like "any firearm legal to own".....

Top Bottom