Hunters and Gun Owners that we do not need!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well has this happened to anyone else on here?
    Saturday even at 5:55 PM east of me a shot goes off, very close by and this is past legal hunting hours, Two to three minuets later a second shot. I was back in the house getting ready to head out to a friends home with the wife. I grabbed a light and my coat and headed out down the lane past the end of the pasture. I did not see anyone or anything so headed back to the house, got back to the house a bit past 6:30. Sunday morning went out to do some fence repair and the Daughter seen it first. I would say with the size of the hole in the metal a 12ga pumpkin ball slug went through the east end wall of my barn from the north east of the place. If it was not for the barn or if the shooter had the barrel pointed a couple more degrees to the south when they shot it would have hit the house! My wife, Daughter and I was in the house at the time! Plus the hole is all most 18 FEET High!! I say someone was along the east fence row in the field north of us shooting at deer between them and my buildings. Trying to put them in like mortar rounds and do not have any idea what the ballistics are on their slugs they are using. A neighbor? Someone hunting with a neighbor??? Are they ever going to admit it? Hell no!
    If anything like this has happened to you, what did you do about?

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I am happy that noone was hurt. These are the idiots that need to be made an example of and you are coreect that we don't need these kind of hunters/gunowners. I have had idiots shoot and not realize that I was down range of where they were shooting. By the way, they were shooting from another property. Hope you can find out who it was so that this doesn't happen again.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am happy that noone was hurt. These are the idiots that need to be made an example of and you are coreect that we don't need these kind of hunters/gunowners. I have had idiots shoot and not realize that I was down range of where they were shooting. By the way, they were shooting from another property. Hope you can find out who it was so that this doesn't happen again.

Thanks Eprobertson1,
    I would like to find out who done the shooting but I really feel I never will!

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I think you're right, you'll probably never found out who actually fired the shot, unfortunately.

I'd go ahead and notify the local CO, in case there are other instances of this in the future (either for you, neighboring landowners, etc.) and someone ends up being found responsible. I'd probably also mention it casually (not accusingly) to neighboring landowners who might have found themselves in the same situation. They also might have some insight, but again, just mention it casually.

This is the reason the firearms safety rules are so important, but as we all know, a lot of people seem to forget them all too easily!

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Glad nobody was hurt.. I'd report it to local law enforcement and the DNR.. who knows what they might do.

I doubt anything, but it doesn't hurt to try.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Wow, that really sucks. And it's scary. Some people are totally irresponsible. My cousin's nephew was hunting on his property about two/three weeks ago, sitting up in a deer stand and all of a sudden tree bark is exploding off of a tree right next to him. He didn't know if someone was shooting at him or was just poaching or what, so he started waving his hat around yelling for them to stop shooting. Just like you said though, no one was to be found and of course no one fessed up.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think you're right, you'll probably never found out who actually fired the shot, unfortunately.

I'd go ahead and notify the local CO, in case there are other instances of this in the future (either for you, neighboring landowners, etc.) and someone ends up being found responsible. I'd probably also mention it casually (not accusingly) to neighboring landowners who might have found themselves in the same situation. They also might have some insight, but again, just mention it casually.

This is the reason the firearms safety rules are so important, but as we all know, a lot of people seem to forget them all too easily!

Yes Greg.B I have mentioned it to some neighbors casually. And you are right when it comes to Firearms safety, some people forget to easily! Some people around here think a 12ga slug will only travel 500 feet and that is after you pick it up and throw it once or twice after you shoot it.

Glad nobody was hurt.. I'd report it to local law enforcement and the DNR.. who knows what they might do.

I doubt anything, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks MACHINEGUN, it is a good thing that no person or livestock was hurt. I will get a hold of a CO - DNR and go from there. Not much of anything they can do but it would not hurt to have them stop out. One thing I do not want to see is the local news media getting a hold of it and making a big anti-gun, anti-hunting news clip with it!

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Wow, that really sucks. And it's scary. Some people are totally irresponsible. My cousin's nephew was hunting on his property about two/three weeks ago, sitting up in a deer stand and all of a sudden tree bark is exploding off of a tree right next to him. He didn't know if someone was shooting at him or was just poaching or what, so he started waving his hat around yelling for them to stop shooting. Just like you said though, no one was to be found and of course no one fessed up.

lashicoN, I am glad your cousin's nephew was not hurt. Yes this does suck and it is scary because it could really screw up your day it you are the one that catches that chunk of lead!
    If these things keep happening to much then all of those new rifles everybody has bought for deer hunting will be useless in a couple of years. When our politicians in Indy ban them for deer hunting!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ... Are they ever going to admit it? Hell no!
    If anything like this has happened to you, what did you do about?

Jump in the truck with my gun on and go tearing out after them... They are not hunters, they are poachers. Gun season was over several days ago.

At this point I wouldn't say anything to any one around. They are all suspects. I'd try to line up the trajectory of where it came from and go look to figure out where they were if I could. When I've learned every thing I could for my self if I thought they were still going to get away with it, I'd call a game warden and explain the situation and ask them to come out with their robo deer and set up a sting in the same place I figured the shot came from. Poachers do the same thing in the same places over and over and over until they get caught or some place else starts looking better to them.

Unless you've spooked them by asking around, they'll be back.

Last edited:

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks qwkdrwmgw, yes some people do not think or they were not shown good firearm safety.

And Jack Ryan, I know where the shot was fired from. When the slug went through the metal siding on the barn you can tell what direction it came from. I think I have got all the information I can get for now. Maybe later I can get some more from some one but not sure. They would have to let it slip. I would like to talk to a local CO to see if they will or could confirm some of the stories I have heard from a couple of the old timers out here.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've got one for you. I was sitting in a tree, and this other idiot that hunts the property knows where I'm at. It's a decently small woods, so he probably wasn't more than 200 yards away. All I heard was him shooting unloading his gun. I know a deer is running because by the sounds of the shots he is swinging on it. He then proceeds to load a couple more slugs in his gun and shoots three more times. I put on my orange vest ( i had on a hat too), but took off the vest when I got in the tree, and walked up there. He said did you see that doe I shot at, I don't know if I hit it. I said you are an idiot, and you could have shot me. He got offensive of course and then began to curse me and fed his dad, who owned the property, a big lie and now I can't hunt there anymore. P.S. this man wasn't a punk kid, but I'd say 40 years old.

Top Bottom