• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So how much Hunter Orange do I need to wear to be safe?

Plan to do some backpacking this fall. Typically on established trails anytime between 8:00am and 7:00pm. Don't want to have to buy a bunch of orange clothing but also don't want to get shot by some over anxious hunter. I assume it probably varies by season as I would be hard to mistake for a squirrel or turkey. A quick look at the "law" seems as it only applies to actual hunters.

Orange+Hats+W+Antlers.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Us above, so below. Agreed on all points.

You are not required to, but I'd highly recommend it. There are far too many undisciplined hunters that shoot at anything moving. Although this is (mostly) restricted to public land, the occasional Uncle Eddy does happen as well. Don't rely on orange camo and the like. Pick a visible, solid color. A vest/jacket is of more value than a hat.

Stay safe.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A small bell and a orange vest is the main get up on my dog from now till Xmas.
    Hunters hate the bell but the dog loves it and she knows “what time it is” when she gets into the setup.

I have blaze orange vest and hat normally. This is private land but the dog tends to follow her nose. The bell makes about sound as two spoons ringing out so not much but it takes the surprise out of a hunter who might otherwise be startled

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    As others have said, there's no requirement for orange. Stay away from brown and/or white. A solid bright color is a good idea but no need to wear bright pink sweatpants like the jogger I saw last season!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    May want to bring this along.

bf0ycqsi4rj11.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I try and stay on an ATV or the tractor if I have to go out during gun season. Have two neighbors that have ground blinds 2 yards from the fence.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I have property that abuts the HNF. This is my opinion based on experience: wear a solid bright color, better if you make noise that precedes your arrival and you'll still be at the mercy of the hunter. Again, my opinion, but I think the hunter's effort to be responsible is the biggest variable and one you can't control. Avoiding sunrise and sunset hikes will help as well.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, besides bad eyesight there really are people who takes shots at sounds so low light times of day are potentially bad.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    If it was me i would wear nothing less than a orange hat of some sort . i am posting a couple pics that i was told on this hunt in heavy brush my Safety Yellow hat was hard to see i now wear orange.

Attachments

• IMG_6345.JPG
      IMG_6345.JPG
      467 KB · Views: 17
    • IMG_6297.JPG
      IMG_6297.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 17
    Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Us above, so below. Agreed on all points.

You are not required to, but I'd highly recommend it. There are far too many undisciplined hunters that shoot at anything moving. Although this is (mostly) restricted to public land, the occasional Uncle Eddy does happen as well. Don't rely on orange camo and the like. Pick a visible, solid color. A vest/jacket is of more value than a hat.

Stay safe.
    Orange camo does not meet Indiana requirements during the seasons when blaze orange is required. Must be solid in color.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    As others have said, there's no requirement for orange. Stay away from brown and/or white. A solid bright color is a good idea but no need to wear bright pink sweatpants like the jogger I saw last season!
    Not legally necessary for hikers, but a fine idea if on public ground during gun season. Definitely wear any color but white, tan or grey.

Top Bottom