• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OMG-ZOMBIES

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    I know! I know! There will NOT be a ban! BUT, if they did get one in effect, how would the gov. find all the guns on the ban list?? Some states it would be obvious, but IN does not have a gun registration, right? Gun shop background checks? The gun manufacturer's warranty registrations? Door to door searches? Would they turn to forums like this? Who would collect the guns, ATF, sheriff or local police, national guard? Would they just make it illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture the guns? What did they do on last ban? Just thoughts on this, don't need the rants that it will NEVER EVER happen.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They may ask people to register their guns, but its likely they wouldnt get everyone to register their guns. I find it highly unlikely that they would attempt to confiscate guns owned pre ban. Its just asking for violence. Not saying that everyone would revolt, just that given the scale of gun owners in this country, there would be accidents and misunderstandings. It would just be too messy.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    How will it happen? Only if people roll over and accept it.

Trying to hide them won't work. In reality Americans will have two choices, turn them in or collectively say no. Delusions of boating accidents or selling them all to done random guy at a gun show won't work.

They would use all of the above methods you listed to collect them. Insurance policies, anything and everything.

Every one will need to decide, leave their children defenseless for the next, Hitler, mao or polpot or ensure their survival by defending the Constitution and their natural rights.

Some people are cowards and hate their children, for them the answer will be an easy one.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    What did they do on last ban?
    All manufacturers stocked up prior to the ban and the prices went up. Nothing much changed.

I have read many articles lately and the consensus is that military, LEO's, and local/state authorities would not enforce a confiscation plan. It would be like prohibition and drinking, here there are too many guns to do anything about.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If they require a $200 stamp to register each existing rifle, then I'm guessing 50% or more would not register simply because they cannot afford it. Then another 30% would protest by not registering. Lots of law abiding citizens would become criminals overnight if thy make the most popular rifle in the country illegal...

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Easy. I've been assigned to monitor this website and record all the assault-type weapons you folks are so proud of and report them to the gum'mint. All those pictures really help. That thread,'show us your Ar-15's' that was me! As a corrupt gov't associate, I'm available for selective memory deletion. PM me.....:cool:

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is this why Homeland Security stocked up on all that ammo? Is the government planning to use them as the muscle to "register" or confiscate guns?

Right now, the thing to do is contact representatives and let them know that our constitutional rights come before some kneejerk reaction of feel good politics.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I seriously doubt if there will ever be a ban on firearms. I do believe that in this current climate, there could be some laws that make gun ownership more restrictive and expensive. We will just have to wait and see what the knee-jerk morons in Washington try to do to us for their political gains.

I do not think that O'Bummer would care about anything that happened as the result of anything that might happen to legal gun owners who did something in protest to his anti-gun efforts whatever they might end up being. This man is ruthless and cares nothing about anyone except those that are like-minded to him. I really dislike anyone who is trying to make political points over these recent incidents. I would also not be surprised at all to see Mexican and Canadian military come into this country to support efforts to confiscate guns should laws be passed to allow such a thing. O'Bummer would be welcoming them with open arms and singing their national anthems.

OMG-ZOMBIES

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Tell me about the last ban, they did not stop the manufacture of the guns, what was banned? How was it enforced? Who did it effect, other than price?

Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN
    I don't think there will be an all out ban.
    But I could possibly see things like mag capacity passing and maybe a few other things. I don't think even that is likely but who knows. If they get enough spineless republicans to compromise with them. It is possible.

In a worse case scenario. If they had a ban with no grandfathering.
    I don't see them going house to house of those gun owners and doing confiscation in most places. What I see happening is doing it like they have done with other NFA items and make it such a pain to own legally that over time the number of those firearms drop and become too expensive for most people to buy.

Some people would register what they have in order to still be able to use them. Some would bury them in the back yard.
    If you think about it.
    In the end what do you do with a firearm that you have to hide in order to keep it.
    You can't go to the range or use it in a self defense situation without risking prison time unless you register it.
    Look at what they have done with full auto firearms. Very few people have them anymore. And they have become harder and more expensive to acquire legally.

I don't see this happening but we shouldn't just assume that it can't happen.

OMG-ZOMBIES

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Kirk, Thanks for the link, I should have googled that. I did not realize that it prohibited the manufacture of Assault weapons but allowed for the sale and resale of existing guns. Now I understand the crazy prices and hoarding a bit better. Did the manufacturers of assault weapons go out of business?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, not at all. They simply made cosmetic changes to existing products and/or changed the names.

For example, the TEC-9 became the AB-9. Flash suppressors and bayonet lugs fell off and stocks became fixed but the firearms still were made and sold.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    There are those who say "A ban will never happen"..."The politicians know what a hot potato this is and will not touch it because they want to be re-elected"..."The senate and the house have not even voted on anything yet". And they are right.

But that is the crux of the problem. The average citizen has seen how our government has hurt small businesses with out of control regulations. Regulations, taxes and fees that have not been voted on by the senate or house. But from the EPA, OSHA, NLRB and a half dozen other acronym government organizations. These regulations, taxes and fees have change the business world, but were not voted on. The same people who are panic buying right now believe that gun control will be enacted through these same means. Regulations, taxes and fees will be used to limit access and increase the cost of firearm ownership. No voting needed.

The government could used regulations to stop the import of all firearms and ammunition. Unless your law enforcement of course. That means no Glock, CZ, Beretta, Benelli, Armscor, Walther, Izhmash, Steyr, Tanfoglio, Sig Sauer, Uberti, Aguila ammo, Bear / Wolf / Tula ammo, Fiocchi ammo, PMC ammo, Prvi Partizan ammo, Sellier & Bellot ammo. And they won't outright ban these items...that would probably take a vote from congress. No...they will simply make it financially impossible to import. Just like our wonderful 922r rule, they could make a rule that 90% of the materials in any product needs to be produced and manufactured here in the USA. That sounds like you are supporting the US...right? Now what do you think would happen to the industry if that happened. There is no way for a foreign product to have 90% American components. They might as well build in the US. However, it would probably take several decades for US manufacturing to increase enough to supply for the demand.

They could use those other acronym departments to enact fees and taxes that would make firearm ownership prohibitive. Just like Chicago's "violence fee" and "ammunition fee" that was proposed. What if the ATF said there is now a $500 fee for every firearm purchased and a $2,000 fee for items like suppressors, SBR's and the like. And every round of ammunition would have a $.50 fee to help cover the cost of health care for shooting victims. Again, that sounds like you are helping hurt people...right? Nope...you have made firearm ownership difficult at best and financially impossible for most Americans.

People are panic buying because they know that more than ever our government is being run using the process of fiat and our congress has been routinely bypassed on significant issues. Because we have seen this happen so many times in the past 12 years, people fully expect to see it happen again. People expect congress to be bypassed and acronym agencies to restrict or remove our rights.

Think about it, most people who are buying will admit that there is no bills that are close to being enacted by our congress...and yet they fear their government taking their rights away. How else could a government do that other than what I expressed above??? People may not be able to vocalize what is driving their fear, but I am convinced beyond a shadow of doubt this is what is happening in the psyche of these panic buyers.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    There are those who say "A ban will never happen"..."The politicians know what a hot potato this is and will not touch it because they want to be re-elected"..."The senate and the house have not even voted on anything yet". And they are right.

But that is the crux of the problem. The average citizen has seen how our government has hurt small businesses with out of control regulations. Regulations, taxes and fees that have not been voted on by the senate or house. But from the EPA, OSHA, NLRB and a half dozen other acronym government organizations. These regulations, taxes and fees have change the business world, but were not voted on. The same people who are panic buying right now believe that gun control will be enacted through these same means. Regulations, taxes and fees will be used to limit access and increase the cost of firearm ownership. No voting needed.

The government could used regulations to stop the import of all firearms and ammunition. Unless your law enforcement of course. That means no Glock, CZ, Beretta, Benelli, Armscor, Walther, Izhmash, Steyr, Tanfoglio, Sig Sauer, Uberti, Aguila ammo, Bear / Wolf / Tula ammo, Fiocchi ammo, PMC ammo, Prvi Partizan ammo, Sellier & Bellot ammo. And they won't outright ban these items...that would probably take a vote from congress. No...they will simply make it financially impossible to import. Just like our wonderful 922r rule, they could make a rule that 90% of the materials in any product needs to be produced and manufactured here in the USA. That sounds like you are supporting the US...right? Now what do you think would happen to the industry if that happened. There is no way for a foreign product to have 90% American components. They might as well build in the US. However, it would probably take several decades for US manufacturing to increase enough to supply for the demand.

They could use those other acronym departments to enact fees and taxes that would make firearm ownership prohibitive. Just like Chicago's "violence fee" and "ammunition fee" that was proposed. What if the ATF said there is now a $500 fee for every firearm purchased and a $2,000 fee for items like suppressors, SBR's and the like. And every round of ammunition would have a $.50 fee to help cover the cost of health care for shooting victims. Again, that sounds like you are helping hurt people...right? Nope...you have made firearm ownership difficult at best and financially impossible for most Americans.

People are panic buying because they know that more than ever our government is being run using the process of fiat and our congress has been routinely bypassed on significant issues. Because we have seen this happen so many times in the past 12 years, people fully expect to see it happen again. People expect congress to be bypassed and acronym agencies to restrict or remove our rights.

Think about it, most people who are buying will admit that there is no bills that are close to being enacted by our congress...and yet they fear their government taking their rights away. How else could a government do that other than what I expressed above??? People may not be able to vocalize what is driving their fear, but I am convinced beyond a shadow of doubt this is what is happening in the psyche of these panic buyers.

I agree, look to history. NFA items required a $200 tax stamp in 1934. $200 was just the punitive tax to own one of these even tho you were a a law abiding citizen.

Using this inflation calculator DollarTimes.com | Inflation Calculator
    I came up with a figure of $3,419.27 in todays money is what $200 was in 1934. So who is to say they not only make all "scary hi capacity" guns NFA items AND raise the cost of the tax stamp to $3,500?

Maybe it wont be that drastic but it will be something like that I imagine. Of course I can only imagine what could or couldn't happen. Anti gun bills get put to a vote all the time in our government. The only difference to these ones are that the whole public is weighing in on the issue since the most recent tragedy shocked the nation. Some loon WILL hurt children again in a similar fashion. Each time this happens the anti's get more and more power and these prohibitive bills stand more and more of a chance at getting passed.

Top Bottom