• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I was teaching a Hunter Education class and the first question was asked by a young man about 10 years old. Bear in mind when you answer this that you have several other kids in the room and and several parents.

Why can't we find any 22 shells? I got a 22 rifle for Christmas and can't even go shoot it because I can't find any ammunition.

The second question.
    Why can't I get a Ruger 10-22? I was going to get one for Christmas but my Mom can't find one.

The last question was asked at a break by a young boy about the same age 10ish his father was with him in the class but he came to me without dad.

We have 2 AR-15's Is President Obama going to take those away from us? And why would he want to do that?

These question all came from kids about the same age. This is what our kids are seeing going on. The first 2 questions came from kids that their family do not shoot and this is a big step for them. Being in the shooting community we know places to find things that other from the outside don't know where to look. So before you grab up the last box of 22 ammo I want you to think about the young kid that just got his gun and can't find any ammo to shoot. I leaned something in that class that this shortage may actually be costing us a group of shooters, the future of our sport. I am not going to tell you not to buy ammo but if you have some maybe think about the kids that their parents bought the first gun for the family and can't even enjoy shooting it.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I've passed up on ammo in stock for that very reason. I have enough for myself, stocked up when the shelves were full and prices normal. The kids need to learn at an early age how our government works and how it should work. Never too young to understand freedom.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I'm trying to figure out the run on .22 shells. I understand all the hoopla and why you can't find 556 and 762s but .22's? If the SHTF there's going to be a very limited amount of game to go around. After the first 6 months or so there ain't going to be anything left, folks will be eating coyote and be happy to get it :D

Good news is they are starting to hit the shelves again.

And if need be I'll more than happy donate either money to you to buy the .22 shells and give it to the kid or .22 shells to the kids. Send me a pm and we will get the ball moving and get these kids shooting.

Hillbillyblood

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    LaPorte Indiana
    Very very difficult questions to answer, truly a touching situation. It hits home when 10 year old's are asking these things.

Lets hope the powers at be make the right decisions to end this frenzy..

We The People!

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I used to read the bison newsletter, a survivalist+minimalist+naturalist kind of thing. Anyway, he instructed his minions to buy up as much and as often as possible on 22 and store it in ammo cans and practice often with one or two of your best handling 22's. Good info. The guy was ahead of his time...

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Answer to the first two questions. People have gotten scared about what the president plans to do. Kid. What does he plan to do? Answer. He has plans to try and take our guns. Kid. Why? He thinks he will be able to control us better.

Third question. No! We will not let him. Because he thinks he will be able to control us if we don't have any weapons.

It is my understanding from raising three children that the best thing to do is tell them the truth. You may ask how do I know this is the truth. Because there can be no other reason for what he wants to do. It isn't about protecting us from guns or protecting children from attack.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    This is how I answered the questions right or wrong.

Why can't we find any 22 shells? I got a 22 rifle for Christmas and can't even go shoot it because I can't find any ammunition.

Well some people are worried that they will not be able to find ammunition so they are buying what they can find. That has caused a shortage and that is why you can't find it easily

Why can't I get a Ruger 10-22? I was going to get one for Christmas but my Mom can't find one.

The Ruger 10/22 has a detachable magazine and is a very popular gun. Again some people are worried that they will not get one so they are buying them and it has created a shortage.

We have 2 AR-15's Is President Obama going to take those away from us? And why would he want to do that?

I told this young man that there are many gun owners that are trying to let people know that gun are not the problem. Hopefully the government will follow the constitution and nothing will happen. This kids response to me was the guy that dressed up like the Joker was crazy and should have never had a gun and the guy that went to the school broke the law even I know you can't take a weapon to the school. What could I say this kid needs to be a law maker!!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Ya know, kids are pretty observant, but it's really sad when a 10 year old would have a better policy than our own president! Probably a sight smarter to!

whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Children are smarter and wiser than they are given credit for. My 6 year old daughter when I explained to her that when bad people shoot innocent people for no reason, there are people that think it is the guns fault, said," daddy those people must be silly, guns are not magic"... out of the mouths of babes.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    We were told by Federal regarding DNR programs like hunter ed and 4-H Shooting Sports that discounted ammo is on a hold right now. Until they catch up production there are no discounts. So far we plan on using pellet rifles to start our program this spring.

Top Bottom