• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    1. Stop talking. I have file drawers full of people that talk too much. Don't speak. Not a single word. (NOTE: not talking is not the same as being a dick. See #2 and 3]

If you guys want to talk to cops, buy them breakfast or coffee or something, not while you are detained. If you are detained, shut up. If you want to talk to them like you are a good buddy and want the pat on the head, then go buy them lunch or something. I mean I bought an INGO cop cookies in Broad Ripple and all I got was a hard time so be advised.

2. Do not lie to the police, this is facilitated by . . . shutting the shut up!

3. Do not argue or resist the police in any way. Just sit there. It's an OV or an IF. It is nothing. If you cared you would have obeyed the traffic code. If you want to care more about OVs or IFs, learn the traffic code and comply. Use knowledge as a sword, not as a land mine waiting to hurt you.
    How big are those file drawers OR how small are "people that talk to much"?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I wish that was true. Let me tell you some time about my one night in jail.
    I was not speeding, and broke no laws.
    I DID though fail to keep my mouth shut.
    Kind of like this starting at 2:18. :):
    [video=youtube_share;neUaSTSKFZc]https://youtu.be/neUaSTSKFZc?t=2m18s[/video]

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have not been pulled over in several years, but from experience, I would add that if you are not happy with your ticket or merely want to get out of paying it, show up in court. You have the right to go to court. If the officer does not show up, you will likely get to walk away free and clear. In some places, you have good odds that the officer will not show up.

If the officer shows up then accept the fact that it is not your lucky day, plead guilty, and pay the fine. I don't think you will have to pay more for going to court.

When the officer hands you a ticket, take comfort in the fact that it is not the end of it. Don't give any indication you will go to court or say something stupid like "See you in court."

If you want to improve your odds, leave a large box of doughnuts on the courthouse steps about fifteen minutes before your time to appear. Be sure to write on the box "Thankyou Heros."

STORY TIME!

There is an intersection in my old stomping grounds. The stop sign is no less than 50 feet from the actual intersection. if you are south bound and you look to your right, you can barley see down the road, and if you look to your left you can't see past the bushes and trees near the actual intersection. One night around 1:30 am, 17or18 year old me pulled up to the stop sign an stopped. I could not see down the road, so i slowly rolled up to the actual intersection so i could see if it was safe to turn, I saw that it was so i made my right hand turn and started heading down the road. Moments later the red and blue lights come on and I pull over. The officer explains he stopped be bc i ran the stop sign. I explained I did in fact stop at the stop sign, citing that it is way back from the intersection. He disagreed and even said that several other officers saw me do it as well. I protested there is no way he could have seen me at the stop sign from where he said he was sitting. He shrugged and was happy to scurry back to his car to write me a ticket.

So I waited for my day in court. After all thats how it works right? My dad always told me you can't beat a man at his own game. Being pulled over the the officers game, you can't win, its always yes sir, yes ma'am etc, if you feel you were treated poorly or feel the ticket is unjust you "tell it to the judge". My court date comes along. I put on my sundays best and make my way to the court house. There is an officer sitting at a table with several tickets laid out in front of him, and people are talking to him before entering the court room. I stand and line and when its my turn I greet the man and explain that today is my court date that is written on my ticket, and that I wish to dispute the ticket. He takes my ticket, he read it over, looks at me and says:

LEO: No, you just have to pay this
    Me: Pardon? This is my court day, don't i get and opportunity to...
    LEO: No, you have to pay this ticket, you can't go in there.
    Me: Im sorry there must be a misunderstanding, I believe I am allowed to dispute this ticket. is this the correct court room?
    LEO: This is the correct court room, if you walk in there the officers will arrest you.
    Me: Arrest me? over a simple ticket dispute? Isn't my right to do so?
    LEO: (In a stern tone of voice) If you try to walk in there, I will come out from behind this table and arrest you my self. The ticket will cost you $X, how are you planning on paying that today?
    Me: Excuse me?
    LEO: (This time more stern than before as he leans forward over the table)How do you plan on paying this ticket?
    Me: Cash, I guess.

He snatches the cash from me, does its paperwork or what ever hands me a receipt and says good bye.

So we arent always guarantied our day in court to dispute a ticket.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I think this possibly contradicts "1. Pull over right away. No stupid games, no excuse making, just pull over. If the cop wants you somewhere else, he'll tell you"
    I'd find a parking lot or small turn off to get both of us out of traffic. As soon as possible, of course.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    STORY TIME!

There is an intersection in my old stomping grounds. The stop sign is no less than 50 feet from the actual intersection. if you are south bound and you look to your right, you can barley see down the road, and if you look to your left you can't see past the bushes and trees near the actual intersection. One night around 1:30 am, 17or18 year old me pulled up to the stop sign an stopped. I could not see down the road, so i slowly rolled up to the actual intersection so i could see if it was safe to turn, I saw that it was so i made my right hand turn and started heading down the road. Moments later the red and blue lights come on and I pull over. The officer explains he stopped be bc i ran the stop sign. I explained I did in fact stop at the stop sign, citing that it is way back from the intersection. He disagreed and even said that several other officers saw me do it as well. I protested there is no way he could have seen me at the stop sign from where he said he was sitting. He shrugged and was happy to scurry back to his car to write me a ticket.

So I waited for my day in court. After all thats how it works right? My dad always told me you can't beat a man at his own game. Being pulled over the the officers game, you can't win, its always yes sir, yes ma'am etc, if you feel you were treated poorly or feel the ticket is unjust you "tell it to the judge". My court date comes along. I put on my sundays best and make my way to the court house. There is an officer sitting at a table with several tickets laid out in front of him, and people are talking to him before entering the court room. I stand and line and when its my turn I greet the man and explain that today is my court date that is written on my ticket, and that I wish to dispute the ticket. He takes my ticket, he read it over, looks at me and says:

LEO: No, you just have to pay this
    Me: Pardon? This is my court day, don't i get and opportunity to...
    LEO: No, you have to pay this ticket, you can't go in there.
    Me: Im sorry there must be a misunderstanding, I believe I am allowed to dispute this ticket. is this the correct court room?
    LEO: This is the correct court room, if you walk in there the officers will arrest you.
    Me: Arrest me? over a simple ticket dispute? Isn't my right to do so?
    LEO: (In a stern tone of voice) If you try to walk in there, I will come out from behind this table and arrest you my self. The ticket will cost you $X, how are you planning on paying that today?
    Me: Excuse me?
    LEO: (This time more stern than before as he leans forward over the table)How do you plan on paying this ticket?
    Me: Cash, I guess.

He snatches the cash from me, does its paperwork or what ever hands me a receipt and says good bye.

So we arent always guarantied our day in court to dispute a ticket.

This does not sound right at all to me. I would love for Guy or Kirk or one of the other lawyers to chime in.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was stopped for speeding on I-65 on 2/28 by the Zionsville Exit by a Boone County Deputy Sheriff.
    I was guilty of doing what he said and didn't argue with him.

I also had a pistol on the passenger seat under a jacket, but said nothing about it.

I gave him my license and Registration as he asked, but he didn't want proof of insurance.

He was courteous and treated me fairly, and I was courteous.

Fortunately, he gave me a Warning Ticket and we both were on our way.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Piggybacking on Bubba, if he asks a general VAGUE question like "anything in the car I need to be concerned about?" is it illegal to say "no officer" if you are carrying a concealed firearm legally that he should not see during the course of your interaction? After all if you have the gun legally and arent planning to use it, he has nothing to be concerned about. Right?

I assume its illegal to lie to a cop and it would be a bad thing if he asks "any weapons in the vehicle?" and you say "no" while carrying. But given the vague question, are you really lying? After all, he also doesnt have to worry about the fire extinguisher in my trunk that theoretically could be used as a bludgeon. :dunno:
    It is not illegal to lie to the police if you are neither under oath nor is the questioning in regards to an investigation. Under oath is perjury and lying to impede an investigation can be pursued a couple ways.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It is not illegal to lie to the police if you are neither under oath nor is the questioning in regards to an investigation. Under oath is perjury and lying to impede an investigation can be pursued a couple ways.

I don't believe this is correct.

For starters a person is probably never "under oath" when talking to the police. You may be under oath when testifying or when giving a deposition or other official statement, but that would be with an attorney. In the criminal arena this would be a prosecutor, with civil it would simply be an attorney.

I believe that giving ANY misleading information to a LEO can lead to a criminal charge of Obstruction. I'll let the lawyers clarify and correct any errors on my part but yapping your mouth to a direct question by a LEO with an untrue statement may well lead to an arrest for obstruction.

Therefore, answering any question with an untrue statement could well lead to arrest. That you may later prevail in a court of law does not remove the inconvenience of arrest nor the very possible chance that you could lose the case and much more than whatever the initial ticket would have been.

Regards,

Doug

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Let's not lie to anyone, but especially the police and end up with False Informing.

Let's all shut up and not play cop games.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    If I get pulled over can I say just 2 words???

"Kirk Freeman"

Do you know what I pulled you over, son?
    Kirk Freeman.
    What? Who is that?!?
    Kirk Freeman.
    I just wanted to inform you your driver's side tail light is out.
    Kirk Freeman.
    :ugh:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If I get pulled over can I say just 2 words???

"Kirk Freeman"

Do you know what I pulled you over, son?
    Kirk Freeman.
    What? Who is that?!?
    Kirk Freeman.
    I just wanted to inform you your driver's side tail light is out.
    Kirk Freeman.
    :ugh:

Over the years I have read my name in more than several police reports.

Paraphrasing: "Driver advised that he was carrying a handgun but his attorney, Kirk Freeman, told him that he did not need a license as it was black powder pistol. I immediately called my supervisor."

Top Bottom