How old were you when you started taking Social Security?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Curious about the pros and cons of starting Social Security earlier than Full Retirement Age (In my case - age 67). I plan on retiring from my job at age 62. Most of my older friends all started drawing as soon as they could. What are your thoughts?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Curious about the pros and cons of starting Social Security earlier than Full Retirement Age (In my case - age 67). I plan on retiring from my job at age 62. Most of my older friends all started drawing as soon as they could. What are your thoughts?
    I started drawing when I turned 62. If you run your numbers, you can easily find your break-even ages based upon amount you'll draw at different ages, and make your informed decision. What really made up my mind to start early was watching my parents' and in-laws' health deteriorate quickly once they got past their early 70s. My in-laws are still alive, but too frail to enjoy their retirement any more. My parents are both gone, and never got much of a chance to get their SS back.

YMMV, but for me, I'm going to take back the money that the government took from me all those years without my permission while I'm still able to be active.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    62 on advise from my accountant at that time. Was about age 79 or 80 until the amount received from waiting to 67 would be greater than reduced amount starting at 62. That was basically same as life expectancy for males. Dieing any time prior would give edge to 62, dieing after would pay to wait to 67.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I started drawing when I turned 62. If you run your numbers, you can easily find your break-even ages based upon amount you'll draw at different ages, and make your informed decision. What really made up my mind to start early was watching my parents' and in-laws' health deteriorate quickly once they got past their early 70s. My in-laws are still alive, but too frail to enjoy their retirement any more. My parents are both gone, and never got much of a chance to get their SS back.

YMMV, but for me, I'm going to take back the money that the government took from me all those years without my permission while I'm still able to be active.
    Correct - You WIN the Prize IMO. Enjoy LIFE while You Can. Pension Retired at 55, SS at 62, NO REGRETS :chuck:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How old is your wife and how will her life expectancy play into this question? Does she qualify for her own or will she be getting spousal benefits?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Correct - You WIN the Prize IMO. Enjoy LIFE while You Can. Pension Retired at 55, SS at 62, NO REGRETS :chuck:
    It is a great question SLD asked, because it is not one size fits all. Lots of variables to factor, including current health, spouse, and when one can retire. What worked very well for you may be completely different for SLD…

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    During the first few years, don’t remember exactly how many, it is not limited, you just have to pay taxes on the SS if you earn over a set amount…
    im not sure either. If I had to guess, it’d be from 62 until your “full retirement” age. If you’re the type that wants to keep working in another field or just part time, it’s something to consider.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    It is a great question SLD asked, because it is not one size fits all. Lots of variables to factor, including current health, spouse, and when one can retire. What worked very well for you may be completely different for SLD…
    Again - IMO, Enjoy LIFE while You Can - YOU can NOT Take it with You. THIS works for Me - YOU can SHOP till You DROP - I Chose NOT to :D

Top Bottom