• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How long can you stay at your place with the supplies and gear you have right now?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This is a self check of your gear.

IF we were told by the powers that be, to shelter in place, how long could you stay at home without leaving to get key supplies.

As part of this drill, power and water was lost at day three, so I hope you had a chance to stockpile/store it at home.

Stepping outside your property line, could mean arrest, death, or loss of your place to others.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    this should be for everyone at your place........from the baby to the crazy and wonderful mother in law!

I'm stuck at 30 days since my wifes med order has not arrived. We order 90 days at a time and that would be a major issue for her.

90 days is the best we can ever be, unless we can find a way to secure more meds.....She takes an anti rejection drug that costs about $1,000 a month if I purchased it outside of our insurance plan. Right now insurance covers it at 100%.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Nah nothing serious like that here. More like there is a sale on at Kohl's!

Seriously though we could go probably 2 months. Maybe a little more. Most everything that I need is also set up to run in an off grid fashion... The biggest factor for us is what time of the year does this event take place. Spring, Summer, or Fall I can go quite a bit longer than Winter. Just because the whole heating issue. I have not got around to completely fixing this problem yet.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    One month should be pretty easy. Much longer than that and I may have to start prowling onto the neighbor's farm

Better hope your not my neighbor after the one month mark...

I know how to take care of critters on the prowl...

Although I don't think it is the best route...when it comes down to it, that is human nature IMO.
    You should take the time NOW to prep as much as possible.
    You're probably going to get your butt chewed for saying that on here. I did when I first got here. But like I said, If someone doesn't have food to feed their family, Most would do anything to get that food.
    Just keep in mind, that behind every farm is a pissed of farmer ready to shoot any threat!

After saying that, I don't think everyone should gang up on this guy because of his comment. Leave it be. I'm sure he knows what could happen if the time for thieving arises....

RM

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Nah nothing serious like that here. More like there is a sale on at Kohl's!

Seriously though we could go probably 2 months. Maybe a little more. Most everything that I need is also set up to run in an off grid fashion... The biggest factor for us is what time of the year does this event take place. Spring, Summer, or Fall I can go quite a bit longer than Winter. Just because the whole heating issue. I have not got around to completely fixing this problem yet.

Winter is actually easier for us. We can stay warm with the clothing, blankets, sleeping bags, and other supplies, with all of us gathered into the man cave to let body heat and candles help warm the room. The cold weather outside will help preserve meats and other frozen goods that I don't count as part of our survival supplies. An awesome bonus!

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    I too think winter would be a little easier. We have a large wood burning fire place with a fair amount of wood for the house and also a wood/coal burner for my fur shed that could be rigged for the house also. I voted for 1 month but could go MUCH longer in the winter. Water is always an issue for me though. Im still trying to find clean barrels for storage that dont cost a fortune and I could drive a little ways to buy.

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    H2O would be the really hard part for us, but we do have filters, so sneaking across the road to the pond to grab a few buckets of water at night would be something we would have to risk. No wells in the our "Vinyl Village". If we did have the 3 days head start on filling up every available container we might be OK without our midnight raid on the neighborhood pond for the 3 months.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    1 month...until I get that hand pump installed in my well then prob up to 6 months if I can get our freezer meat smoked or jerked quick enough. (hold the jerk comments please :D )

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'd have to say around 3 months, moreso in the winter. Esp if I can manage to get a hand pump for the well. We've got plenty of wood around for heat and cooking, along with my camp stoves. I'm trying to get dad to help me buy a wood burning stove again like I used to have here at my house. I think it'd be a better idea than the corn burning stove..

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    I could go a week easily just on what's in the fridge and freezer. Another 6 months on stored non-perishibles and water. Coleman cook stove. Get one if you don't have one and plenty of fuel for it.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    We have plenty of protection.
    Enough can goods for 1 month.
    I would be worried about the deep freezer losing power.
    We actually were without power for 3 hours this morning --just a gentle reminder to finish the battery bank I already have the inverters for.
    FYI: Golf car batteries are the best value and use for this.

I think the kicker is clean water and cooking.
    Our new place has electric EVERYTHING (clothes dryer, stove, microwave, water heater, blower for the gas force-air furnace).
    The fireplace is in the center of the house, so that helps.

I could probably divert water from gutters to the kiddy pools for water collection.
    (if you have a large pool-water should not be a problem, just filter out the chlorine and other stuff).

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Like some others, winter would be the easier time to do this and during that time 3 months could happen without too much of a problem. We are lucky to live where there is always a supply of wood....it is just getting out to get it most of the time. We have a really deep well of good water and although it isn't plumbed you can always get it a bucket at a time.

My medications would be the most difficult thing to deal with but, hey, sleeping is overrated until you start to hallucinate! The animals would also require some creativity although in the winter I tend to keep extra supplies on hand for them since we occasionally get snowbound.

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    (if you have a large pool-water should not be a problem, just filter out the chlorine and other stuff).

I cant believe I have never thought of this!!! I have a 30,000 gallon swimming pool 15 feet from my back door. Now I need to find out how to filter it and make it potable.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Water is our biggest issue... next week we move and the basement has a sump pump. Oh how that could suck. I'm thinking some sort of battery backup / handpump and maybe I should get to work on buying a PV panel or two.

Going to brain storm and probably post a post on this later today.

Second biggest issue is fuel for cooking. I store a lot of rice... worst case we let it soak overnight... warm rice would be nice though, lol.

As it stands, we could go a month or so, I have so many can goods we could be drinking the juices for weeks, lol. Also have a good filter for 100 gals of water and for 'clean' water I have a steripen to kill the germs. Steripen is good for 10,000 liters IIRC.

Top Bottom