• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    The fearless looking Shepherd in my avatar is quite the puss when it comes to fireworks. However my neighbors right to celebrate independence day trumps my dogs right to not be uncomfortable for a couple hours once a year. He will just get a close to me or my wife as he possibly can. No trembling or anything like that. Now knock on the door at night and thats where he shines.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The fearless looking Shepherd in my avatar is quite the puss when it comes to fireworks. However my neighbors right to celebrate independence day trumps my dogs right to not be uncomfortable for a couple hours once a year. He will just get a close to me or my wife as he possibly can. No trembling or anything like that. Now knock on the door at night and thats where he shines.
    Our shepherd was 120 pounds of teddy bear, so much so that I worried about wether or not he would actually do anything to stop an intruder. All of those fears went away one night around 2:00 am when my oldest son unexpectedly showed up at the house (he had car trouble and had a friend drop him off at our place). That dog went absolutely ballistic! I don’t know how he didn’t break through the back door, scared my son half to death, and even scared me. As soon as he figured out who was standing at the door, he went right back to teddy bear mode again. I never worried about if he would take care of business after that!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Our last 3 labs were LOVE THEM, NOT BAD AND MEH. We still have Not Bad as well as a new addition that so far seems to be THROW THE DAMNED BALL ALREADY when it comes to fireworks. We have a few mortars left over from last year so we'll see how she reacts up close.

Our Love Them and Not Bad labs used to chase all over the backyard as they went off around us and if they saw me pick up a pack of bottle rockets they got so excited that I had to build an elevated launcher so they wouldn't snatch a lit firework.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Our late dog hated fireworks and thunderstorms. She could sense a storm coming before we could even hear the first rumble of thunder and would glue herself to my leg, or if I wasn't inside with her, she'd hide in our half bath. The odd thing was, she would rather stay outside with me if I was out on the deck watching the storm than to go inside and hide. We even bought her one of those "Thundershirts" that is supposed to help with the anxiety by fitting tightly and making them feel like they're being "hugged".

Didn't help a bit with her. Our Boston Terrier (Mom's old dog) doesn't seem to be bothered too much, but she's almost completely deaf and blind. Cat doesn't freak out, but she goes inside when they start up if they're close.

A lab we had who died about 10 years ago was the best weather dog I've ever seen. Like yours she could sense a storm coming several hours ahead of time. She'd get nervous and start running the fence and once they lightning and booms started she would freak unless she was sitting on my lap covered with a blanket. Made for more than a few sleepless nights but she was worth it.

rwilky78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2016
    Kendallville
    Our Yorkie/ Jack russell mix looses his mind over anything that flies over or runs through the yard,so... he looses his mind over fire works too. Paces through-out the house and barks for a half an hour, lol.

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    My old jack Russell that passed about 2 years ago would not care about gun shots but wanted to attack anything that might be a firework so she had to stay inside while we lit them off. The funny thing is she was born on Independence day. The the 8 month old jack Russell seemed like she just wanted to watch last night as the neighbors lit some off.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Our border collie/lab mix HATES fireworks. We got a RX of Alprazolam for her. Started her on it yesterday. We'll see, it's been pretty quiet so far. Except for the knucklehead that blew some mortar rockets @8:30am this morning.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Somebody's been shooting off something loud today. Probably the loser middle aged son that lives with his dad a couple doors down. He starts in late May/early June. I went out and looked one time, expecting to see some kids shooting off firecrackers, but it was him sitting on the front porch lighting entire packs and throwing them out into his yard in the middle of the day. :nuts:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Many years ago I had 2 Airedales, one could care less the other was terrified. Next a Giant Schnauzer, he could care less. Now I have a Labradoodle, she is aware but indifferent. I feel for those that have the terrified dogs, it's miserable for everyone in the household. Loo12.JPG

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Somebody's been shooting off something loud today. Probably the loser middle aged son that lives with his dad a couple doors down. He starts in late May/early June. I went out and looked one time, expecting to see some kids shooting off firecrackers, but it was him sitting on the front porch lighting entire packs and throwing them out into his yard in the middle of the day. :nuts:
    Middle aged living with parents pretty much tells is all.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Oh gosh. Our last dog's favorite cat was terrified of storms. The cat would go take shelter under a chair or whatever was handy. The dog would go get close up and comfort her. They were quite a pair. And the dog was afraid of thunder storms, gun fire, fire works and, after being chased home as a young pup, geese.
    :laugh:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We have two chihuahua mixes, Daisy and Cocoa. Cocoa is low-key about the fireworks, but he does not like them. The minute they start, he will cling as close to me as he can. Hiding under my legs if I'm sitting, or diving under the covers if I'm in bed. Daisy goes full-on manic the second she hears them, and then she will frantically run around the house, barking until she is hoarse. If she is outside, she runs from one end of the yard to the other over and over (and I cannot outrun her). I have tried everything with Daisy--Thundershirt, benedryl, valium, CBD oil. Nothing fazes her. We just have to ride it out.

God, I hate this time of year. Can't wait until August. We should be about done by then.

1625344940030.png

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Puddlespuppy our Husky/Black Lab mix, paces and whines during The 4th.

Lolita, my late Australian Shepherd, if outside, would rip the siding off the house to get in.

If inside, would go full panic mode.
    Not just Fireworks but any loud noises would set her off.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All I have to say is that nothing says "freedom" more that telling other people how they should celebrate "freedom".

For pete's sake- the number of old (in years or attitude) busybodies who feel the need to whine about their dogs and tell people to not celebrate like they have been at least my entire life is....disconcerting.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Our 4 dislike them in varying degrees. One of our past dogs was terrified of them. If she was outdoors, she'd frantically paw the door to be let in.

Top Bottom